New Greyhound Settling In Help

I'm a very new hound owner and I adopted my 2 year old greyhound on Saturday... i've had some settling in issues which id love some advice for. When he arrived home on Saturday he was super chilled out from the get go wasn't needy or whiney and slept the whole night with no disturbance. (He gets crated at night.) I'm currently keeping him confined to the living room using a baby gate as I have two cats and i'm trying to get them all used to each other. So far so good. On Saturday evening I noticed that the end of his tail looked black and rotten with blood coming out the tip, so i planned on taking him to the vets the following morning. The next day when i let him out the crate I noticed there was blood everywhere and the end of his tail had come off. We rushed him to the vets where he had about 8 inches of his tail amputated on Monday. They had to keep him in overnight as there where some complications from the morphine they gave him.

I picked him up on Tuesday - he's now on a course of antibiotics and on an anti-inflammatory medication. Since coming back from the vets the past few days he has been pacing around the house and become super needy and has been whining, howling and barking when i'm not in the same room as him, when previously he was fine with this. i've tried ignoring him and he will settle for around 30 mins before starting up again. I've also tried giving him more exercise (he had two hours of walking today but it made no difference to how he behaved once he got home) He seems to be getting worse as the days progress. I've not even had him a week yet so i know its super early days and he's already been through a big trauma the poor boy :( I also don't want my neighbours to complain! Any advice on how to get him to settle and how to work up to leaving him in the house on his own? I can bring him to work most days but sometimes I'll have to leave him.

Thanks!

Poor pup! What a hectic time for him (and you!). In addition to the normal settling in anxiety, I wouldn't be surprised if the drugs have him feeling bad or funny and he's extra clingy and anxious because of it. If it's the drugs making him feel bad, there's not much you can do till he's finished his prescription. If it's just normal anxiety, you might try some alone training with him to get him used to being on his own. This page was just posted in my own SA thread for my pup - maybe it can help you and your boy!

If you haven't already, talk to your neighbors and tell them that your pup is new and still adjusting, and is also on medications that are probably making him feel not so good. Ask for their patience. Sometimes just letting them know what's going on can help them have a little more patience with your new pup!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

What kind of medications is he on? FWIW an opioid reaction can take several days to clear completely, so this could definitely be still affecting him. Exercise won't help him settle if this is the issue.

Poor boy to have all of that going on! He's probably really stressed, on top of being in pain and reacting to medications. He needs time and patience and Alone Training. The book "I'll be home soon" by Patricia McConnell is the standard for helping dogs with separation anxiety. If even that isn't helping, he may need a short course of anti anxiety medication to help him reset and start over.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

​I am sorry this is all happening at once. Was he fostered before he came to you? If so ask them if he had problems. I second the meds thing. It doesn't say where you are from but one of the drugs given in the US is Tramadol. I had a boy grey react to this very badly, but only this one grey. You will be in our prayers.

Sheila
Loved by

Mozart, Sherri, Xavier, McCleary, Tigger. Amelia and 2 Salukis Poppy and Zarah

​I am sorry this is all happening at once. Was he fostered before he came to you? If so ask them if he had problems. I second the meds thing. It doesn't say where you are from but one of the drugs given in the US is Tramadol. I had a boy grey react to this very badly, but only this one grey. You will be in our prayers.

He was kept in kennels for nearly a month, then prior to arriving to the kennels he was kept outside in (UK) Ireland as he never actually made it to the tracks to race. The drugs he's on are Rilexine and Rimadyl..

What kind of medications is he on? FWIW an opioid reaction can take several days to clear completely, so this could definitely be still affecting him. Exercise won't help him settle if this is the issue.

Poor boy to have all of that going on! He's probably really stressed, on top of being in pain and reacting to medications. He needs time and patience and Alone Training. The book "I'll be home soon" by Patricia McConnell is the standard for helping dogs with separation anxiety. If even that isn't helping, he may need a short course of anti anxiety medication to help him reset and start over.

Hes on Rilexine and Rimadyl, i'm not really sure about the side effects for those drugs. I know :( i feel really bad for him, all been a bit of a trauma!

No advice, but poor boy! That's a lot to go through! I hope he settles as he heals and feels more comfortable. We just got our guy last Saturday too.

Thank you! Congratulations on your new addition

Hmmm... Rilexene looks like a "pet" version of the antibiotic cephalexin, and Rimadyl is an nsaid (non steroidal anti inflammatory). Both can cause bad stomach upset, but other than that they should be well tolerated.

If he's still super restless I would be checking in with my vet.

Hope things are settling down for all of you by now.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hmmm... Rilexene looks like a "pet" version of the antibiotic cephalexin, and Rimadyl is an nsaid (non steroidal anti inflammatory). Both can cause bad stomach upset, but other than that they should be well tolerated.

If he's still super restless I would be checking in with my vet.

Hope things are settling down for all of you by now.

Thanks for that! I spoke to my vet and they said i could try taking him off the anti inflammatory, since doing that he has settled down today :)

:thumbs-up

Glad he has improved

I have recently adopted an Irish Greyhound.

Sid came to Canada in October and his original owner could no longer care for him. He came to us 2 weeks ago.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Glad to hear it! Tessa was on rimadyl for her dislocated toe and I had to stop after a couple days - she had a similar reaction.

Thank you! Thats reassuring to know that Tessa had a similar reaction

:thumbs-up

Glad he has improved

I have recently adopted an Irish Greyhound.

Sid came to Canada in October and his original owner could no longer care for him. He came to us 2 weeks ago.

Congrats on your new addition! How's he been settling in?