Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'surgery'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Greyhound Life
    • Announcements and News
    • Health and Medical discussion
    • Food and dietary discussion
    • Training and Behavior discussion
    • Cute and Funny things Greyhounds do
    • Everything else Greyhound
    • Greyhound Events
  • General
    • Off Topic
    • Introductions & Biography
    • Remembrance
    • Greyt Information
    • Pet Merchandise
    • Technical Questions about Greytalk

Product Groups

There are no results to display.


Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Location


Interests


Real Name

Found 8 results

  1. Wondering if anyone has done back surgery on on older greyhound? I’ve done three in the past on younger dachshunds, but am not sure what to do for my older hound should that be the recommendation on Monday. My beautiful 9 yo greyhound started limping and favoring (sometimes not using) her back right leg approximately three months ago. The vet did an exam and it’s her back, lower back. He put her on carprofen and she did better, in fact no more limping - but she took a bad fall (lots of scrapes and blood - one wound still healing) and stumbled another time, and that can be a side effect of carprofen so I stopped it after about 7 weeks. We saw the vet again a week later and he said to take her off of it because it didn’t seem as though it made much difference in her pain during exam although he thought the fall was a result of her back problem not the carprofen. But, he wanted us to see a neurosurgeon for an MRI or myelogram to “make sure we aren’t missing anything.” (Like a spinal tumor which one of his dogs had.) So, with my dachshunds they went from myelogram straight into surgery, but one wasn’t able to walk and the others were having difficulty. They clearly needed surgery ASAP. And, they were younger. I’m concerned I may be asked if I want to go to surgery Monday depending on results of whatever type of scan. And, I’m just not sure about surgery given she has some discomfort but she is walking (odd gait though), no longer holding her right leg up, eating, pooping (although in an odd position), and doing pretty well. I still give her carprofen about once a day, not twice anymore. No gabapentin or tramadol - yet. So, has anyone done a spine surgery on a greyhound? Advice? Results? If I decide against surgery - is there any point in an expensive scan that she will have to be anesthetized for? I’m just not sure what to do for my beautiful brindle girl. Our appointment is Monday. Thx.
  2. Anyone have any insights/tips for a 4yo male going in for a Cystotomy? I haven't been able to find many threads on this topic, is it pretty rare in greys? How long was your pup's recovery? Did you use a cone or some other method of lick-prevention? What kind of bladder control/retention should we reasonably expect while he's healing? Has anyone successfully treated struvite stones with diet/increased water (avoiding surgery)?
  3. I'm a very new hound owner and I adopted my 2 year old greyhound on Saturday... i've had some settling in issues which id love some advice for. When he arrived home on Saturday he was super chilled out from the get go wasn't needy or whiney and slept the whole night with no disturbance. (He gets crated at night.) I'm currently keeping him confined to the living room using a baby gate as I have two cats and i'm trying to get them all used to each other. So far so good. On Saturday evening I noticed that the end of his tail looked black and rotten with blood coming out the tip, so i planned on taking him to the vets the following morning. The next day when i let him out the crate I noticed there was blood everywhere and the end of his tail had come off. We rushed him to the vets where he had about 8 inches of his tail amputated on Monday. They had to keep him in overnight as there where some complications from the morphine they gave him. I picked him up on Tuesday - he's now on a course of antibiotics and on an anti-inflammatory medication. Since coming back from the vets the past few days he has been pacing around the house and become super needy and has been whining, howling and barking when i'm not in the same room as him, when previously he was fine with this. i've tried ignoring him and he will settle for around 30 mins before starting up again. I've also tried giving him more exercise (he had two hours of walking today but it made no difference to how he behaved once he got home) He seems to be getting worse as the days progress. I've not even had him a week yet so i know its super early days and he's already been through a big trauma the poor boy I also don't want my neighbours to complain! Any advice on how to get him to settle and how to work up to leaving him in the house on his own? I can bring him to work most days but sometimes I'll have to leave him. Thanks!
  4. For those who don't know, Dexter has had a cataract for five or six years now, about half his life That eye's time has finally come. We took him to a veterinary ophthalmologist back in May, and the vet said that although he was fine at the moment, his eye had more issues than just the cataract, and there wasn't really many options for retaining it. The main concern he had was the pressure in the eye, so we picked up some recommended saline drops to help with that. Sadly, it doesn't seem to have helped. We've been noticing some signs of discomfort since September-ish, so we took him into the regular vet in mid-November. She prescribed some pain-killers and told us to keep an eye on things - and when the pain-killers worked, we knew it was definitely his eye. We brought him back and she had borrowed a pressure reader, so we were able to get confirmation of what we already knew. When he was at the ophthalmologist in May, Dexter's eye pressure was at 12, well within normal ranges. On the 1st of December, it was 60! She gave us some glaucoma drops to try and get the pressure down, but agreed that surgery would be necessary. Luckily, the drops are working well so far. He's down to a pressure of ~8 as of last week. But the eye still needs to come out, as the vet doesn't think the drops will hold for long. So he's booked in for mid-January. The vet's not overly worried about putting him under (at least, no more so than any other senior greyhound), but she does think the recovery will be a rough one. And we're not sure what to expect - none of our dogs have ever needed surgery once we took them home already fixed. We know that he will probably be dopey for about a day, and that he will likely be in pain, and we know that he's prone to licking at his IV site, but otherwise nothing. So what should we be preparing for? Is there anything we should be getting ahead of time? Should we be preparing to keep him separated from the boys, and if so, for how long? The vet has recommended we use Metacam after the surgery as all of Dexter's blood values are good, and we have an ~2 week supply - should this be enough? Obviously we'll be talking to our vet more about recovery recommendations, but we want to prepare as much as possible and make sure that we have everything set up and ready for him even before we take him in.
  5. Hey Guys I am a first time greyhound parent and we're about to have our 19 month old female spayed - I cannot tell you how nervous I am Our little miss is still a little anxious and nervous in certain situations so I know this will be difficult process for her. I've been doing bits of reading and there have been the standard pieces of information floating around. However I was hoping for some information on what to expect with a greyhound (as I know they are super big sooks) and any tips/tricks you may have from when you've had your girls spayed. So many thanks in advance xx
  6. Guest

    Amicar

    I'm hoping that Macy's CT today will show that she's a candidate for another attempt at surgical removal of her tumor (fibrosarcoma). We have Amicar on hand and I've optimistically scheduled her surgery for July 2. When do we start the Amicar? I thought it was 3 days in advance, but our vet said one day. Also, I assume we should stop fish oil several days before as well? She's on a really high dose for her SLO. Thanks in advance! OT - Walgreens didn't honor the GoodRx coupon that would have saved us 100 dollars on the 42 doses! Can they do that???
  7. Some of you may recall that Sagan's dental was rescheduled due to his platelets being low. Well, it's 1.5 months later and we're going ahead with the dental finally, so I ordered Amicar from Walgreens. But now I'm worried about dosage. I know that it's supposed to be given 3x a day for 5 days following surgery. However, the recommended dosage in Dr. Couto's literature is 500mg on the low end to 1000mg at the high end, or between 15mg and 40mg per kg. I originally got a script for 15 tablets, but then I realized that Sagan is 84lbs and this article mentions the following: 55lbs to 79lbs: 500mg (1 tablet) 80lbs to 104lbs: 750 (1.5 tablets) >104lbs: 1000mg (2 tablets) (The article is about deerhounds, but I don't think that matters, since this information comes from the study conducted on greyhounds.) Does this look right? So am I ok to order 23 tablets? (i.e 1.5 x 3 = 4.5 tablets a day, for 5 days)? The vet tech I've been speaking to hasn't heard back from my vet (who is recovering from surgery herself), and I really want to pick up the Amicar today or tomorrow. Chances are I probably won't be hearing back from the vet today, so I needed to make a decision. The vet tech mentioned getting more if I wanted to (enough for a 1000mg dose 3x a day), but I don't think I want to give him such a big dose. Anyone here with an 80lb+ grey who has used Amicar? How much did you give? I need to know asap if I want the pharmacy to have the correct prescription for me and I need to let the vet tech know by 5pm. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me! This is my first time using Amicar, and I'm nervous enough about his impending dental...
  8. Hi all, Just posting in as first-time to say thanks for everyone who's posted in the past here about your hounds' toe amputation experiences...I have really appreciated and benefited from reading all of that over the past couple of days. My Mandy (OL's Baby Face) is 9.5 yrs old and have had her for six yrs. She is an insulin-dependent diabetic (shots 2 x day) whose had lots of health scares off-on since we've had her but she has prevailed as a fairly hearty and loving girl. Her left rear outside toe has been 2 x normal size for the past couple months and it did not respond to course of anti-inflammatories and antibiotics. Xray showed bone involvement and some deterioration. Amputation was the final recommendation but we had a few re-starts on getting it done (first time it was scheduled, 3 wks ago, she had a false pos. proteinuria in preop bloodwork that caused delay to check urine protein:creatinine ratio and rule out glomerulonephritis and other kidney issues (further testing came back non-confirming of any of that); also had needle aspirates done of popliteal lymph node at back of knee on that leg and of the toe (lymph node was highly reactive but not for cancer, just showing that it was fighting off something (a good thing, I think); toe aspirate was inconclusive for anything fluid related but no surprise, as the toe seemed mostly boney process); the second time she was scheduled for surgery, she had what appeared to be a mini-seizure or mild stroke-like (TIA) event or a vestibular event the night before and we waited yet another week and a half). She did have the amputation this Thurs. 6-21-12 and is doing okay. Her blood glucose is climbing a bit and I'm kinda worried about that---thinking that perhaps as she continues eating same amt but exercising hardly at all, her metablism will cycle out of its good control. Very restless first night and better last night. She is doing intermittent whistle-whine sleeping from time to time and I am dosing regularly with Tramadol. She is also on Clavamox and Novox q 12 with meals, along with her injected insulin; tolerating all well. She is not happy with the rigid e-collar but tolerating it outside the crate for the long w/end. Will try to figure how best to help her keep away from the foot once I head back to work on Tues. and she has to crate up because she is definitely a fussy licker of wounds. Will try her with the softer e-collar (she doesn't like the sound and I think it makes her hot) and will try the suggestion a number of you have posted about with using the plastic muzzle + duct tape. I was concerned today that her bandage might be oozing a little blood & took her in to the vet but they said it looked very good and wanted me to actually keep it uncovered as much as possible now. So, no big pressure bandage or anything at all, which felt a little too soon, to me. But she has slept a good bit of the rest of the day and it has gotten lots of air. She has mostly tolerated it uncovered, although I think it must be very sensitive to the air from the fans and just being uncovered. She twitches it and sometimes whines when shifting it about like she wasn't before when it was covered. I'm dry-wrapping it religiously with 4x4 + vetwrap with a sock over it secured w/vet wrap at ankle, and an IV bag bootie over all of that, for when she goes outside. I will post a picture or two when I have a chance. Wish I could take all of next week off to be with her. Thanks for being here. --Gaye
×
×
  • Create New...