Brown/red Urine

Guest Rebecca90

Guest Rebecca90

Hi Everyone

We have a 4 year old retired greyhound named Kelly. Today she has started to pee brown/red urine, her stomach is making gurgling noises and she has thrown up a tiny bit of saliva.

She has been drinking normally but we have taken her food away for the night, last time she ate was at 11am.

We will be taking her to the vet in the morning but i thought i would ask if anyone has had this happen to their greyhound before and any advice? We have an emergency vet number on standby as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Please contact your emergency hospital ASAP re: your hound's symptoms and be sure to inform them of your hound's activities that day. I assume it might be warm or hot weather in Sydney which could contribute to possible rhabdomyolysis.

Here's the first link I copied but there are others too:

https://pets.thenest.com/rhabdomyolysis-greyhounds-6571.html

Very probably Rhabdomyolyis (body metabolising its own muscle) from heat stroke / exhaustion in your 45C heat. Can clog kidneys and cause them to fail. Take to an emergency vet immediately after phoning them, ideally in a car with ac.

IF it is something normal like an infection, they will not judge you for being forward.

I agree with the posters above. This is an emergency. There's blood in the urine. Please keep us updated. Wishing all the best for Kelly.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Agree, emergency vet, especially if she was out in your current heat. **Make sure they spin down her urine.** If it doesn't separate completely into packed down RBCs and yellow urine she almost certainly has rhabdo and needs to be put on non-lactated fluids immediately. Not to scare you, but rhabdo is potentially life threatening and time is of the essence, especially if you want to avoid kidney damage. Do not let them send you home without spinning down her urine.

I agree with the posters above. This is an emergency. There's blood in the urine. Please keep us updated. Wishing all the best for Kelly.

Actually if its rhabdo the color in her urine is from myoglobin, which is the byproduct of her muscles wasting away. Myoglobin usually produces a brown or port wine color, versus blood which tends to turn the urine pink or red. This is why its so important to spin down the urine. RBCs separate and pack down when you do, while myoglobin does not. There is a lab test for myoglobin, but you have to send the urine out so it takes time you don't have. Spinning the urine is the best way to distinguish. Casts in the urine also point to rhabdo.

And to the OP, you will also want a full blood panel. Increased levels of CK enzyme are also a telltale sign of rhabdo. The higher they are, the more dangerous the situation.

Please keep us posted.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Me too, I keep checking in

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Rebecca90

Sorry Everyone! We took her to our local 24/7 vet and I was not too happy about him, he really knew nothing about greyhounds...😓

We have an appointment with our normal vet in an hour, so I will let everyone know.

She has been eating, drinking and a bit more happier this morning. Her first morning pee was a much lighter colour but the two after where a brown colour again and no more vomiting.

Guest Rebecca90

Ok our vet was much better, he said that it was what everyone mentioned above straight away, so he did blood and examined her pee that we got from her this morning.

One kidney was high but her other one was normally. So he gave her an injection to help with the muscle pain but he said at the moment because her pee is returning to normal that we are to monitor her and go back for another test.

Both my partner and I feel so bad, when we were out with her the temp didnt reach any higher than 28 degrees and we didnt run around, more just hanging out. We did not know of this and I couldnt help but just cry!! 😭

We now know and she wont be going out in any high temps again.

Thank you for everyone on this forum!

I don't get the one kidney was high part? There's no way that I'm aware of to tell if one or both kidneys are affected. If it were me, and if there were signs of kidney involvement I would want her on fluids until those things resolved. Violet's urine returned to a normal color before all of her levels were where we wanted them to be and she ended up on fluids another night as a result so I wouldn't trust just her urine color.

It is possible to have a less severe case so perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but kidneys aren't something I'd want to take a risk with. Anti-oxidants have also been shown to help in recovery from rhabdo btw.

I hope she makes a full recovery. And try not to feel bad. These guys seem more prone to this than many, perhaps because of their larger muscle mass. Violet's was caused by a combination of stress from a car ride and a bit of a warm hike as best as we can tell, had no idea prior that panting from stress can set the stage for rhabdo. There's even someone on her me whose dog has gotten it simply from tue stress of a car ride. So now you know and can be more careful in the future. FWIW they say that once they get it it can happen more easily in the future, but Violet's was 4 1/2 years ago and knock on wood, we havent had a recurrence.

I don't get the one kidney was high part? There's no way that I'm aware of to tell if one or both kidneys are affected. If it were me, and if there were signs of kidney involvement I would want her on fluids until those things resolved. Violet's urine returned to a normal color before all of her levels were where we wanted them to be and she ended up on fluids another night as a result so I wouldn't trust just her urine color.

It is possible to have a less severe case so perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but kidneys aren't something I'd want to take a risk with. Anti-oxidants have also been shown to help in recovery from rhabdo btw.

I hope she makes a full recovery. And try not to feel bad. These guys seem more prone to this than many, perhaps because of their larger muscle mass. Violet's was caused by a combination of stress from a car ride and a bit of a warm hike as best as we can tell, had no idea prior that panting from stress can set the stage for rhabdo. There's even someone on her me whose dog has gotten it simply from tue stress of a car ride. So now you know and can be more careful in the future. FWIW they say that once they get it it can happen more easily in the future, but Violet's was 4 1/2 years ago and knock on wood, we havent had a recurrence.

I’m sure she meant only one of the renal values were elevated (bun vs creatinine) not that one one kidney was effected :-)

Im sure she meant only one of the renal values were elevated (bun vs creatinine) not that one one kidney was effected :-)

Well that's really obvious now that you say that. :lol

Guest Rebecca90

Well that's really obvious now that you say that. :lol

Sorry, yes this is what i meant! It was all a bit of blur this morning, had to just get my partner to explain it again to me to make sure.

Guest Rebecca90

Update!

Kelly has been sleeping in our cool place all day, her pee colour has improved. She is still a bit sore when moving around but she is a much happier puppy tonight than yesterday or this morning. Thank you again everyone here!

I would love to be able to share a photo of a our beautiful girl for everyone to see but cannot seem to figure out how, sorry!

Glad she's so much better! We'd love to see a pic, I use postimage for posting those on here - nice and straightforward: https://postimages.org/

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Rhabdo is an EXTREMELY serious condition. It is life threatening. It can kill them pretty quick. Try to avoid it at all cost. Might be worth reading up on it. It can be caused by a couple of different things and IDK but now that she has had it I would be concerned if perhaps she might be more susceptible to it in the future. I had one hound some years ago that absolutely could not tolerate heat and I had to see that he had air conditioning at all times. In fact I even put a window unit in the house so that if the central air went out than the window unit was there to kick on and provide cooling.

Some of our hounds are incredibly heat-sensitive. Last April I recall Peggy would not continue her walk up a hill on the moor in a temperature that wasn't even 60, but the sun was kind of shining flat on her and with the hill at a steep angle facing the sun it was making it worse. I suppose she'd already worked up some heat climbing the hill (which was certainly hard work for me too with 500ft to reach the next level) In summer she doesn't really like it over 72 (22C) and won't run unless it's morning or late evening.

I'm so pleased to read the the OP's dog wasn't hyper-acute and got effective treatment in time. Maybe they could look up those evaporative-cooling dog coats...?

My late girl, Wendy, was extremely heat intolerant. She had 2 episodes of Rhabdo in her lifetime. It's a wonder they survive farm and racing life!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest Rebecca90

Some of our hounds are incredibly heat-sensitive. Last April I recall Peggy would not continue her walk up a hill on the moor in a temperature that wasn't even 60, but the sun was kind of shining flat on her and with the hill at a steep angle facing the sun it was making it worse. I suppose she'd already worked up some heat climbing the hill (which was certainly hard work for me too with 500ft to reach the next level) In summer she doesn't really like it over 72 (22C) and won't run unless it's morning or late evening.

I'm so pleased to read the the OP's dog wasn't hyper-acute and got effective treatment in time. Maybe they could look up those evaporative-cooling dog coats...?

Thanks, I have looked up those coats this morning. They are a great idea :)

Guest Reddebz

Thanks for updating your post, i live in darwin and its never below 30 so always hot and at the moment with high humidity. Out grey (becky) seems to cope well along with our other ACD and they predominantly live outside, only coming in during early arvo and evening. I didn't know about the pee problems so I'm grateful for your post.