Dry Cough And Gagging Issues?

Guest drwho

Hi, don't know where to begin as our gal is exhibiting various changes lately (she will be 12 in the fall). Most of the time she seems fine but quite often has regular short periods of coughing, dry gagging and/or gutteral noises from her throat (internal burping, swallowing noises). Every now and again she coughs up a small area of spittle mixed with some food residue? She also laps up a lot of water at times, sometimes for so long I have to tell her to stop. A lot of little issues on and off, possibly just aging but wondering if anyone sees any of this as symptoms of something?

Last time had her at the vet in September for a check-up and all was ok before leaving her in the care of our oldest for a month. Upon return she began to vomit frequently and panting heavily as well as being restless and wandering so took her into the vet immediately and it turned out she had developed the dangerous twisted bowel syndrome due to a huge build-up of gas and inflammation in her system. She was kept in for the day for tests and treatment which helped to restore her system to normal by the end of the same day. (She had been raised on dry food but began the last few years to eat only if I mixed in some canned food, I stuck with a premium brand that did not upset her tummy). I hate to admit it but while gone for a month this year we had left our oldest with a supply of a 'cheap brand' of canned food instead to feed her mixed with her normal dry. Just a few days before we returned he stopped feeding her this canned food as she was starting to vomit, etc. I really feel that was the cause of the gas build-up problem. Once restored we returned her to a dry food diet only. She has been herself since.

I later took her back for a follow-up and mentioned the on/off gagging/dry coughing spells she has, he just mentioned she 'might' have something (forgotten the name he gave it) that causes the throat to narrow?? But this was only a guesstimate at the time.

Unsure if the coughing, gagging, water lapping is due to the drier interior of the house at this time of the year, or an indicator of something else. Hate to go running to the vet every time about every little issue. Wondering if anyone has dealt with any similar symptoms and what might be the actual cause, or what might help?

The vet probably said "laryngeal stenosis." Sorry I can't help with treatment suggestions, but knowing the name gives you something to research.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Laryngeal paralysis comes to mind, but also worth considering heart issues, especially if she tires easily or seems lethargic.

Could also be some sort of respiratory fisease like kennel cough, canine flu, etc. In older dogs or dogs with compromised immune systems antibiotics are often given and you can also swab and test to see if she has any of those things.

I wouldn't call this running to the vet for a little issue. Something is obviously wrong. I would investigate it and not let your vet blow you off.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Our dog "Blue" is nearly 12. He suffers from Partial LP. He does the gagging urrrrrr khukk cough from time to time. This condition was diagnosed almost 4 years ago. Blue was coughing up brown sputum. Blue has a sensitive tummy, and belches after meals. He is also lethargic, probably more so now than when he was diagnosed. He "hucks" after drinking due to water going down his windpipe. The paralysis obviously narrows his throat capacity for breathing and swallowing, and causes irritating inflammation. He copes okay with my management of his condition and is living a good life. I am too frightened to consider surgery.

I am not saying your girl has this condition, but I was fobbed off by my Vet/Vets when Blue was unwell. I went to another Vet for his diagnosis.

I still use my sub-standard Vet, and I still feel like I am a huge bother to him. Unfortunately I cannot realistically use the good Vet all the time.

Little issues are not little to you. If you are concerned please seek a second opinion. :)

Edited by schnookums

Very possibly LS but perhaps something more simple like Kennel Cough or even Gastric Reflux which is easily treated.

Kennel cough was the first thing that came to my mind. It sounds a lot like whooping cough at children.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

My then 11 year old, Wendy, had similar symptoms. All tests came back normal. In the end, it turned out to be her heart. Wishing all the best for your girl.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Drwho, at least now you've got several things to ask your vet about regarding diagnosis. I'll just add that if there's a chance this is laryngeal paralysis, see if your vet will prescription doxepin. If it's going to work you should see an improvement within days. It's an off label use and will need be to be purchased at the human pharmacy.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

A couple of other thoughts, (aside from it sounding like LP) a lot of water drinking could mean organ issues, excessive drinking is one of the first signs of malfunctioning liver and kidney. Likely though she is trying to get relief from coughing and gagging by intaking water because her throat is sore.

Something non evasive you can try is to give her some Pepcid. She could be having some acid reflux, and this is bothering her throat causing her to cough. You have also mentioned a diet change, so this course of action is worth a shot. By giving her Pepcid, even if she doesn't have acid reflux, there will be no harm so it is worth a try for a few days to see if she is feeling any better and getting relief. A burning throat isn't fun.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Hi, thanks all for the great input! I do recall suggesting to the vet a year ago about "laryngeal paralysis" but he said that wasn't the problem since that is evident when breathing 'in' the way but not out the way (she doesn't exhibit it when breathing 'in' the way)? He did mention that surgery was a possibility if necessary but that was something he didn't recommend as he stated a lot of dogs actually come out worse after? She sounds 'wheezy' at times when sleeping with a moan or a groan here and there, at times like a muffled snoring? We did have x-rays of her throat done previously but apparently nothing 'abnormal' showed up? The short coughing or gagging episodes come and go, just lately a few times where she has coughed up a small residue of food bits?

Not sure if I mentioned all these 'breathing issues' appeared two years ago after she had surgery and had to wear a cone for a week, during the last two days of the cone the various breathing noises began and much worse at the time, since then they have dissipated. The vet reassured me they had not used an endoscope at the time during the surgery. I did read that apparently there is a 'nerve' which runs down the neck and this can affect breathing, etc. if damaged, thinking the 'cone' was the culprit as she often sleeps with her head hanging over the edge of her bed and on the floor. Possibly the cone was too tight? I mentioned this to the vet at the time and he agreed it was a possibility? She has had blood work and various checkups done over the course of the last few years with nothing abnormal?

As far as being lethargic she does lie and sleep around a lot but when outside she still 'rockets' around the yard, so I put the lack of activity in-house sown due to age (she will be 12 in Sept.), then again we all know greys are just 'couch potatoes'! It doesn't seem to hamper her any? As far as increased water intake I've noticed her gulping down of water is not as frequent these last few days and seems normal, so I'm putting that down to those times she finds the air dry and/or her throat dry when inside?

I do pay close attention to her well-being and will be taking her again for a checkup to further discuss. Thanks again!

I can't see that wearing the cone would cause breathing problems.

Although your vet said an endoscope was not used, there may have been an airway tube placed during the surgery. perhaps that irritated her throat.

LP is supposed to diagnosed by doing a scope, not a plain xray. I chose not to do the scope since Percy was old. I didn't want him sedated since he'd nearly bled out during a dental months before.

Rather than put her through all that, ask for a Rx for the doxepin. Either you'll see improvement in 1-2 days or you won't. If it works you'll kick yourself for not trying it sooner as it works best as soon after diagnosis as possible. If it doesn't work then you're only out a few $.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DrWho.

My Eddie does this too. He will be 13 this September. He was also checked out September time (well only general check, listening to heart and palpating legs around). I also mentioned LP to me Vet and she looked at me like “how dare I know about these things, she’s the Vet Not me” she also said he’s old so these things are to be expected. I went off and did my own research and although I have no answers I did read somewhere that if they have LP they often have signs of LS with it. And he certainly does as his back legs often go under him when out on walks and he’s panting hard (which happens even on a brisk walk). Does your dog have any weakness in her legs?

Eddie has arthritis so the vets say. Although I am not convinced as none of the drugs help him. So I am convinced he has LS and LP.

Xx

Lisa, Eddie and Milo 💕 🐶 🐾

Hi DrWho.

My Eddie does this too. He will be 13 this September. He was also checked out September time (well only general check, listening to heart and palpating legs around). I also mentioned LP to me Vet and she looked at me like how dare I know about these things, shes the Vet Not me she also said hes old so these things are to be expected. I went off and did my own research and although I have no answers I did read somewhere that if they have LP they often have signs of LS with it. And he certainly does as his back legs often go under him when out on walks and hes panting hard (which happens even on a brisk walk). Does your dog have any weakness in her legs?

Eddie has arthritis so the vets say. Although I am not convinced as none of the drugs help him. So I am convinced he has LS and LP.

Xx

Have you tried Gabapebtin? And/or Doxepin? More importantly, time for a new vet, or at least a second opinion.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I haven’t no. It’s never been offered. Just the usual such as tramadol, rimadyl, the one with the M and then another one. None of them did anything and I tried telling them for this reason I suspect it isn’t so much Arthritis but rather something else. My vets are very old fashioned and as long as the dog isn’t in immediate pain or danger they don’t take it too seriously. That’s the impression I bet anyway. Then the other vets we’ve used before over diagnose issues and try to make stupid money out of you. X

Lisa, Eddie and Milo 💕 🐶 🐾

I strongly encourage you to try another vet. Gabapentin is very inexpensive, has little to no side effects and is what you should be using if its LS. Or just ask your vet to write you a script for it if they will.

But my understanding with LP is that the sooner you get them on Doxepin, the better. So at this point I would consider someone else.