Bed On/bed Off

DH and I have never allowed any of our dogs on the bed and Lola is no exception. However, our son and his fiancee enjoy sharing their bed with their dog and with Lola when she visits. Do you think this will prove confusing for Lola in the long run? She's been with us for less than 2 months and, so far, she seems to understand the difference.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

No, they are quite smart! Mine knows he is allowed on a couch and not the other. He knows he can climb in bed when I invite him, but never asks otherwise (he will only ask if there are fireworks outside).

Lola will know it is ok with your son, but not you :)

Edited by locket

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

No, they are quite smart! Mine knows he is allowed on a couch and not the other. He knows he can climb in bed when I invite him, but never asks otherwise (he will only ask if there are fireworks outside).

Great! Thanks for your input.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Both my Lab (across the Bridge) and Johnny only get on hotel/motel beds, never at home! My Lab would always check out the bathtub first and lick the soap. Dogs are weird!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Dogs are quite capable of figuring out different rules for different spaces and circumstances.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have a very similar question. I am trying to get Stella to come on the bed. I tried treats but she seems to have no idea what I want and she gets frustrated and walks away looking stressed. I tried picking up her front legs, but she wimpered so I put her down. Ideas?

Some dogs will never get on the bed. My Wendy was with us for 10 years and never once showed any desire to get on our bed. However, the minute she first walked through the door, she appropriated the love seat!

I have a very similar question. I am trying to get Stella to come on the bed. I tried treats but she seems to have no idea what I want and she gets frustrated and walks away looking stressed. I tried picking up her front legs, but she wimpered so I put her down. Ideas?

Our newest was the same, so we just let her be. She loves being up there with us on her bed on the floor, so it's no big deal. The other night - nearly four months after she came home - Lizzie popped up on the bed, turned around and layed down next to me with her head on my shoulder like she'd been doing it all her life. She still won't get on the furniture though. I expect she'll get around to it in time. Or not. Doesn't matter.

Time and patience!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with this, with one caveat. IF she tries to get in your bed after being allowed in your son's, don't be too surprised. Just say - Ah no. And that will probably be the end of it. But don't blame her for trying just once.

When my dogs spent the weekend with my parents while we were away, my parents fed them from the dinner table. My dogs have NEVER been allowed to beg at the table. My parents know that, but they chose to do the "grandparent thing". After they'd been with my folks for a weekend the dogs would approach the table. I'd just look at them and say "Really? NO." And they'd walk away. They KNEW the difference between Grandma's house rules and Our house rules - but they'd test..... just in case. They're smart.

I agree with this, with one caveat. IF she tries to get in your bed after being allowed in your son's, don't be too surprised. Just say - Ah no. And that will probably be the end of it. But don't blame her for trying just once.

When my dogs spent the weekend with my parents while we were away, my parents fed them from the dinner table. My dogs have NEVER been allowed to beg at the table. My parents know that, but they chose to do the "grandparent thing". After they'd been with my folks for a weekend the dogs would approach the table. I'd just look at them and say "Really? NO." And they'd walk away. They KNEW the difference between Grandma's house rules and Our house rules - but they'd test..... just in case. They're smart.

Spot on! Lola has tried to get on our bed a couple of times. I asked her to "OFF"! and gave her a treat when she complied. Clever girl. When she goes to my son's place, she beelines for the bed.