Yelping Randomly For No Reason! Help!

Guest Audiotinker

Guest Audiotinker

Hi there! I'm new to this forum. I decided to post because I'm at my wits end here. I have a 5 yr old greyhound girl named Daisy. She is perfectly healthy and happy. Just went to the vet and had a clean bill of health. Has been checked over every inch (believe me) for any kind of problems and she is 100% fine. But every once in a while she does this panicky yelping squealing/howling thing for no reason. It started when we left on vacation and my dad took care of her. She would not let him take her out, even though she had been fine for 3 days. One day she just decided that she would freak out and not let dad touch her. When my mom got there, she was fine. Then we got home and she did it once to my husband when he went to take her out, once when our friend tried to pet her for the first time, and once tonight when I was in by her chair. I had been upset earlier about a death in the family and I think it upset her, but the other times it seemed like almost a painic attack or maybe cornering type thing? We've had her for over a year and she has never done that until recently. So I have no idea. It's also very few and far between and random. Any advice or ideas what this is? She is my first dog and a rescue and I know rescued greys can have anxiety, but I'm the sure that's what this is. She's literally the most loving, cuddling, kissy, social baby ever. That's why I don't get it.

There's always a reason. We, as humans, just can't always discern it. If you're positive she's healthy (did the vet check for a neck injury?) and she's generally not an anxious dog, I would tend to put it down to one of those things, and move on. When she does it, just be gentle and reassuring til she's done freaking out, and continue on with what you're doing.

It could be she gets cramps, especially if she's been laying still sleeping for quite a while and is then asked to jump up, or she moves on her own quickly. It's fairly common for greyhounds to get them and pretty benign. The "Greyhound Scream of Death" (GSOD) however, is anything but, and can jump you right out of your skin from across the house! If you can figure out what's cramping, just rub it gently until she can work it out.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

First thing I thought was disc blockade. Andy had his atlas blocked some time ago. Every movement hurt - 2 minutes with the wonderful Marina, his physiotherapist and he was fine.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Pinched nerve, specifically around the neck, and/or disc issues. Also could be tight muscles and bone misalignments, a chiropractor might be able to help.

What position is she in when this happens?

I would also suggest a spider or insect bite, but sounds like it's happening more often than a one time occurance.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I second the possible disc/pinched nerve issue. And like one poster said it could also be cramps. My first hound would get painful cramps for about a year after I first adopted her. I would be very careful with her neck(no collars etc.) until I for sure eliminated a spinal problem. And just an fyi but intermittent front leg lameness is also associated with a cervical spine issue so if you see this develop in the future you know it is urgent to get the situation addressed. A good chiropractor might be able to discern the issue straight a way.

My thought was a neck issue as well. Especially if you take her out on a collar. I would switch to a harness for the time being, no leading her by the collar at all.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."