Tail Caught In Kennel Door

So we boarded Sully overnight at "Hotel for Dogs". My husband came home and said, " You arę NOT going to be happy." My sweet white dog was speckled with dried blood and had a bandaged tail! They said another dog knocked a kennel door closed on Sully's tail. They were very nonchalant, utterly unapologetic and did not call us when the incident happened. He was also favoring his right back leg as if he pulled a muscle or something. I took off the self clinging wrap this afternoon, it seems like the top inch is red and bruised, and there seemed to be a small cut two inches from the top. It didn't bleed when I washed it and he didn't flinch when I handled it. I applied gauze and wrapped it with self clinging wrap.

We returned home to the wrap on the floor by the wall and small flecks of blood EVERYWHERE in the entryway. Luckily it stayed on until he heard our car in the driveway. Of course I'm the one who grabbed him and pulled off his muzzle, so my nice shirt and Kate Spade bag were also sprayed like little dots of spray paint.

It stopped bleeding once he stopped wagging it, and the one big smear on the corner of the wall by the front door is probably where he whacked the bandage off. He's resting comfortably and eating fine, so not an emergency.

1. Do you think he needs a vet visit?

2. Any tips on keeping it covered? It seems if I did anything more than ointment and self cling wrap it's too heave and falls off.

3. Would you be ticked off at the daycare? I know accidents happen, but they acted like its normal to send home limping blood spattered dogs. I'm so upset and angry. I always worry leaving any dog with someone and this did NOT help. I feel terrible for trusting these stupid people with my furkid! I will likely be cleaning up happy tail crime scene for weeks, and thanks to the search feature on greytalk, found out the tissue could die and he might need the top amputated... And not even a sorry! Ugh! Any/all advice appreciated.

Umm...their attitude is not acceptable. Yes, I think a vet visit might be in order. There are tricks to bandaging happy tail. I used 1/4 inch pipe insulation for a out little Idol. It took about 4 weeks for it to fully heal. I think you might need antibiotic cream on the wound. I wouldn't rush to the ER, but, I might submit the bills to the day care. Not seeing the wound, I don't feel like I should be giving medical advice. Good luck and I hope it all turns out ok.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Peroxide is your friend!

Most of us have been there at least once with happy tail, though I would definitely be P-Oed at the boarding place. I would be leaving a bad review of your experience on Yelp, and a written letter to the owner along with copies of your vet bills.

There should be plenty of information on wrapping a happy tail injury in the threads you searched here on GT. An empty toilet paper roll can work in a pinch to protect the bandaging. I prefer a syringe cover with the tip cut off. If you can find Elastikon tape at a drug store, it's really the best thing for happy tail. It sticks to the fur but not so bad you can't get it off. If you can gently clip some of the hair away from the actual wound site it will all be easier.

Clean the wound well and bandage it with a non stick pad and gauze and very little tape - do not make this bulky. Wrap a piece of elastikon around the tail for several inches above the wound to use as an anchor. Beginning upon the anchoring tape, wrap down the tail loosely with vet wrap, over the wound, to the end of the tail and a bit beyond. Slide the protective covering over the tail and wrapping, then use vet wrap over that to hold it in place. Do NOT wrap it too tightly as that can cause the blood not to circulate and the tissue to die.

Keep all the bandaging as light as possible. You'll likely need to keep it wrapped - changing it every 3-4 days - for 3 weeks or more. You want to wound to be *fully* healed before you leave it open so he doesn't hit the thin skin again and reopen the wound. You can protect it with just the tupe/syringe case once it's closed. Remember, olive oil or peanut butter will loosen sticky tape when it needs to be removed.

He very well may need antibiotics depending on what, if anything, they did right after the incident. Watch it carefully and get him in asap if it looks red and/or inflamed.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Taking to the vet would surely be the best and safest option. They have special 'plastic tail supports' which they can wrap in safely using breathable tape.

I'd want my money back and vet fees paid by the 'Hotel for Dogs', but doubtless in the small print of their contract there will be something that says dogs are left at their owner's risk. A comment on 'Trip Advisor' might be the only comeback you have.

Think the peroxide was meant for cleaning the walls :lol

Yes. Nobody better ever use one of those lights to scope out my house. I'd be arrested on the spot!

But NO to peroxide of open wounds as it can promote tissue damage and dying.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly