How To Stop Bleeding. Girl Wiped Out When Running

This morning Cozett was running her crazy self and slipped hard on the wet slates. She ripped the skin on her knee joint. I am keeping it clean and putting neosporin and vetericyn on the wound. It is now almost 6 pm and it is still bleeding...this happened at 8:30 am. The bleeding is much much less..just a small amount on her bed when she gets up. I made a paste with flour to help clot the blood rather than styptic powder thinking that would burn. I cant cover it as it right on the knee joint. any suggestions to stop the oozing blood? will call vet in am if it is still bleeding in the morning. thank you

i'm sure more will pipe up but you should probably try to put some pressure on it with gauze and a bandage, although nearly 10 hours might wipe away any blood that has clotted. I know that doesn't seem possible, but if she can lay down on her uninjured side, and you can keep her down, gauze up the wound with neosporin and use some vet wrap or a tensor bandage to keep it on there. I've done this with an icepack when Ryder has hit his knee before. If it is a deep gash it might take a while to stop bleeding and 10 hours with just a little bit sounds on par with what sounds like a big rip.

You've been doing the right thing by keeping it clean, try not to disturb it too much and keep her still as much as possible. How is her walking?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

You should be able to wrap the wound.

You will probably need to use a LOT more VetWrap than you think you need and you may have to wrap her entire leg.... do a 'figure of 8' wrap.

Google 'wrapping dog knee' for some creative ideas.

Put her muzzle on so she can't pull the wrap off.

You may need to get creative in how to keep it wrapped....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I would also try a cold compress - if you have or can easily get some Telfa pads they are great - don't stick (or not much) - to put over the wound before you wrap. And be sure when using Vetwrap not to make it too tight - unnecessary warning, but I feel compelled because, well, that's me.

the wound stopped bleeding. appears to be drying up. i had no luck with keeping it covered. i am cleaning regularly and putting vetricyn on it...especially after we come in from outside. trying to keep her calm..she is a crazy girl. I dont think we need a vet trip. Thank you for all the advice!

Edited by dbullwinkel

Yes she is walking ok. yesterday a little slower...today normal. she has been getting derramax for her back though. Question: after I clean it do I put neosporin on before the vetericyn gel? I read that keeps dirt out, etc but does not provide any anti-bacterial protection. I am cleaning with Nolvasan. Thank you

Edited by dbullwinkel

i generally leave smaller wounds/scrapes alone(tears are a different story). you will be amazed at the healing power of dog saliva! the ointments retard the healing process, a nice scab will form with out the ointment, your dog will chew it off and he/she will have a skid mark! vitamin e once it's healed will help w/ hair regrowth, but's it's a sticky mess and will get all over everything.

Edited by cleptogrey

For future reference, I've added a chinese herbal supplement called Yunnan Baiyao to my first aid kit, as my new girl is a bleeder. I haven't used it yet or am I very familiar with it, but it is a coagulating substance that can be given internally (a capsule three times a day is what my vet recommended) OR put directly on wounds to stop bleeding. It's not supposed to sting like quick stop or other otc remedies, and you can use it on larger wounds. I'm thinking it has some antibiotic powers, as well, but I'm not sure where/if I read that.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'd clean it and then maybe put the neosporin during the day hour and let it air dry overnight now that it stopped bleeding. It will eventually form an annoying scab right there, that might break and bleed again in a couple days - try to keep it supple as it will blend in with the fur (or you could trim the fur at that little area if she'll let you). Ensure that knee has a full range of motion, and flex it because as it heals, the scar tissue will form making it a little harder to bend the knee. Ryder almost tore the ACL there by banging his knee on stairs years ago....so lucky....

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015