Please Help - Aggression When Trying To Get Her Up For A Walk

Guest Bojooth

Guest Bojooth

This is day 8 of a brand new adoption from a rescue kennel and I'm brand new to greyhounds but I don't know what to do.

She's a very placid girl (Pippy) and things had been going pretty well. She's eating and sleeping well and on walks she's good but always busting to go home. She's understandably a little overwhelmed by the city traffic and noise but seems happy sniffing and toileting well. From the start she's been hard to get out for a walk. Admittedly it's winter but it's not freezing, it is Sydney after all, it's not wet or frosty. I've been trying to establish a routine - morning 20-30 minute walk and before bed quick pee and back inside for bed. But I have to force her out of the house each time.

However this morning I went to get her up for her morning walk and ablutions and as I went to put her collar on she growled and went to bite me. I was shocked but chastised right away. I walked away to gathered myself and came back using a very stern holding the leash. I went to put the collar on again. She laid flat and refused to get up and went for me again, twice when I went to out the collar on. I was stern again. I came back with the muzzle which she let me put on. I praised her when she let me and turn the collar and leash but she still wouldn't move. I eventually shook her off her bed and to her feet and hustled her out, praising her the whole time. She was great on the walk.

When we got home and she let me sit and pat her on the couch and she was perfectly behaved. In all other ways she's a great rehoused dog.

I can't figure out if its terroritiry aggression or she just hates going outside? Do I let her dictate st this early stage or stick to routine ?

But how do I maintain routine? I don't want to fight with her to get her to out and to be honest my confidence is shaken. Tonight she is hiding from me and won't come out from her sleeping spot. I've hand fed her and gently encouraged but nothing will tempt her out. I think I've messed this up.

Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance.

Edited by Bojooth

Welcome to GreyTalk. Sorry to read you are having these issues. More people on here will respond to you as soon as the US starts to wake up.

I think you're accidentally being overbearing. Talk to your local adoption group TODAY before this gets worse. After a week they can start to become confident enough to protest sometimes, but they don't need to be forced. Usually a light happy ' let's go walkies...' and a movement towards the door with a very light tug on the lead is what's needed. Tempt with a treat perhaps to get the dog up and come over to you.

You could use a break-away house collar indoors so that at least she has one on.

* Try speaking 'dog' by reading and sending back calming signals viz:

you really need to have some one on one training in how to deal with dogs because you WILL get bitten if you continue to approach the dog in the manner you describe.

And taking the dog out twice a day? Am I reading that right? That's about half as much as the very bare minimum.

First step is to stop with your "stearn" approach. Would you want to go out with someone who gets up in your face with attitude? I wouldn't. How about holding out a dog treat and sweetly saying, "Want to go out?"

I guarantee you a totally different result.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

IMO she was just testing you and IMO you passed. You did not mess anything up. It would have been far worse to have given in or coddled her. The most important thing you can do and which will affect your relationship forever is to establish engagement. Don't worry about or attempt ANYTHING other than just getting to know each other. Going for walks is a perfectly legitimate thing to do and you are the boss so go for walkies :) I would make sure that she is not uncomfortable in any way-cold or foot corn or anything-and if she is OK then you just need to focus on making her realize that good things come from walkies. Perhaps take some EXTRA special treats or a tug toy if she is prey driven....in fact find out what she likes most- it is all part of developing engagement. Ask her. Check and see will she 'chase' a tug rope or play ball etc-Anyway randomly during the walk praise her and give her whatever treat/reward she wants etc. Keep walks it short at first-shorter perhaps than what will even do any good. At first you might need to take multiple real short walks instead of one longer one. And if you are using a food reward make sure it is an EXTRA SPECIAL treat only received on walkies. But the idea is to make her WANT to go on a walkie because she has learned that when she does good things happen. Once you have developed good engagement -and it often takes quite a while- sometimes months and months-and can continue to improve even to a year and on- then you will simply be amazed at the remarkable things you can teach her and that she will successfully and easily do. Engagement is the foundation. If you try to do too much-even simple obedience-before you have the foundation of engagement-then it probably will just lead to frustration and not be pretty. Also once you have engagement even if you make a legitimate mistake it won't 'break' her or hurt her because that foundational bond of engagement is there to help you successfully work through whatever. Don't worry-all is well! You are about to have one of the most meaningful and loving relationships you can imagine :) Just go slow; continue being the benevolent leader as you are doing- which one more thing- please do not try to force her into situations that really emotionally stress her like meeting other dogs or people etc-at this point. To develop good engagement you need to show her that YOU will protect her from other people or dogs or situations that genuinely make her uncomfortable. Make a show of it even. If she is not sure about a dog or a person then step between her and the other one so she can see that YOU will protect her-she won't miss it and it will make a big difference in your relationship. Just get to know each other, do as you have been, and whatever it is you want her to do try and get her to associate it as an activity where good things happen. But I would not give in to her whims-she NEEDS you to be firm and rule the roost as you have done -in a loving way of course. And there are a few dogs that just don't like to go on walks and never will but you can't know this until you develop engagement. If that turns out to be the case it won't matter because just the fact that you have developed engagement with your dog will have opened up so many more worlds and opportunity walks really won't be that big of a deal. Enjoy! You are really in a fun part of your relationship now- the objecticve is simply to have fun and do fun and get to know each other-no stress.

I agree, it sounds like you might inadvertently be making her very nervous, and she's letting you know this.

You can try a couple different things to get her off her bed.

Treats. Good treats, like meat or cheese. Sit in a chair in the same room, wave the tasty food in her direction, and call her over.

You can get her a regular buckle collar to wear at all times. My general rule of thumb is that, until a dog is more or less totally settled in the home (you'll be able to tell when she is), they should be wearing something on their necks all the time (unless in a crate). It gives you something to grab if they make a break for the door, plus it helps steer them if they're headed somewhere you don't want them to go. One you have a collar for her to wear 24/7, when you go to get her up for her walk, don't interact. Clip the leash to the buckle collar she's already wearing, then turn around and say "Let's go for a walk!" in a really cheery voice as you start to walk away. She should just get up, but if not, don't be afraid to tug gently on the leash to encourage her. Just keep it all happy and upbeat. Once she's up and you're next to the door, put her regular collar on and switch the leash to that one.

If you have the time, you can wait her out. She'll get up eventually. When she does, give a good treat and take her out. Not everyone can do this, though, so if you can't, the first two might work!

Edited by Roo

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

I disagree in part with what was adivised above - your dog isn't just having a "whim" by not wanting to go out. She's anxious and scared, and going out - especially in a busy city environment - is just not something she wants to do right now.

She's dealing with so many changes right now, and she isn't equipped to deal with every single one of them with the same positive attitude. Anything you can do to help her realize things are fine will be a plus. Yes, she does need to have a daily schedule (and it seems like she knows it already if she's hiding from you), but it need to be a *good* thing and not something she fears.

Being "stern" with her only reinforces that what you're going to do is not fun. Why would she want to go anywhere with someone who is grumpy and cranky with her?

You need to up the value of treats/rewards more the more anxious she is since you have to overcome her anxiety. Something *really* good - roasted chicken, baked livers, smelly cheese, liverwurst - even a toy or squeaky will work if that's what she loves best. Sit across the room from her and call her to you - treat and praise lavishly - then slip her collar on. Practice this a number of times throughout the day when you're *NOT* going out. Then, when you get outside, more treats and praise during the walk - definitely after she goes potty and then whenever she has a positive interaction with people or objects.

Greyhounds have "softer" personalities than other breeds, and a strong word can be pretty harsh to them. It's definitely a case of getting more with honey (and really yummy treats) than with vinegar.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Good advice from greysmom. Can't add, just reiterate: Keep it positive, gentle, best treats you can find, practice getting her used to being handled as if you were going out (but don't always go). You may have to be patient for a time but with gentle cheerfulness I'm betting you'll see a different dog in a week or two.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Everything is new to her. Imagine someone grabbed you, put you on Mars and told you to be Happy that you can live there.....oh - and don't mind the locals.

This is how she feels, scared and confused.

You need time, patience and lots of delicious treats. Hand feeding is a good choice. She has to associate you with everything positive. Let her come to you.

When she has to go she will mostly get restless. Than it's time for a short walk, lots of praise and treaties. Walk the same route every time so that she can get comfortable with her new environment.

Oh....and we'd like a picture. 😉

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Also in Sydney. PM me if you like. But for starters, she needs more e revise, but she also needs to know that she can trust you. Do you know anyone with another greyhound? Having them come by and you walking together might help. Otherwise, stay calm, don't grab her, positive reinforcement. And give it time. She's still very new.

I'd also be curious about who she came from. Some groups are very very supportive. Others, less so.