Weird Rash....help!

Guest kiwigoesup

Guest kiwigoesup

Ok so Ella, my grey, had been showing signs of a UTI, so I took her to the vet. She had also started scratching and biting her fur, so I told the vet, and he thought it was either environmental allergies or a flea allergy, but since she had been itching more on her neck and her tail area, he decided to go with flea allergy. He advised she start taking Nexgard, so we started her on that. After a week, she is STILL itching like crazy. Poor thing is miserable, so I've been giving her 50 mg of Benadryl which seems to help somewhat. The itching hasn't stopped.

I have been switching her food from a grain-free food to the Iams green bag (did some research and found the previous food had lots of associations with UTI issues), so of course I'm inclined to think its the food, but she was itching before then. Also could be the antibiotics I'm giving her for the UTI, but again, she was itching before any of this was happening.

Then, this evening, I saw this rash on her stomach. Anyone have any ideas???

35316579740_fba04f42d9.jpg

]35316577350_2c36491140.jpg

Edited by kiwigoesup

I don't think it's the Iams. Using any chemicals on your lawn or carpet?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

It could be a flea allergy. But it looks like the rash one of my dogs used to get if she had been lying in the grass. She'd get the rash, and the skin on her feet would get very pink.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest kiwigoesup

It could be a flea allergy. But it looks like the rash one of my dogs used to get if she had been lying in the grass. She'd get the rash, and the skin on her feet would get very pink.

She has been laying in the grass. So its nothing to worry about? She doesn't seem to be itching it at all. and I did notice her paws were pink.

Antibiotics will often set off an allergic reaction like how we humans get hives. Then were are more sensitive to everything including grass and insect bites.

Just one flea or little tick is all it takes.

Is she better since the bath?

The rash looks like bug bites to me. Along with using the Nexguard, might want to check/wash bedding, carpets, etc. to make sure there are no fleas as an allergic dog will be miserable with just one bite or a little flea dirt on their body. Altho they can also get gnat bites, ant bites, etc. out in the grass -- mine do but don't seem to itch much from those.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Looks like a reaction to either grass (maybe fertilizer on the grass) or detergent/fabric softener on her bed, or chemicals on carpet if you've had the recently cleaned, or even a bug bite since you found a dead flea.

Giving benadryl for allergic reactions for environmental contaminants is common and you could see if that helps. Avoid giving her a bath frequently, but at least give her one perhaps oatmeal based to help alleviate any itching.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest kiwigoesup

The rash on her stomach is gone but she is still itching like normal after the bath. I'm still giving her benedryl about twice a day and I think it seems to be helping. I just don't want to have to medicate for an extended period of time without checking up on anything else.

Sounds like allergies to me--not food allergies, which everyone is so quick to jump on--but what we call "hay fever" in people.

My brother had a mixed breed dog who was allergic to grass. Sounds like your dog may be too.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest kiwigoesup

Paws are normal, but there are red, small bumps in-between her hindlegs now. The antibiotics are done today, so I'll see if she feels better in a couple days. Thanks for all your responses! I feel like it might be the grass, because she starts itching as soon as she goes outside.

Ugh, bummer. That's really hard to avoid! I'm not sure about antihistamines for long term use in dogs, but I guess if people can do it seasonally..... might be the best route? What does the vet think?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

IIFC, using Zertec instead of Benedryl may be a better choice for an allergy.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 1 month later...
Guest Islandhopper3

Looks like contact dermatitis, because it's manifesting itself where her body comes into contact with things (feet, chest/belly). My 10 year old gray has dry skin, with occasional small, rough, red bumps on a 3" x 3" area just forward of her left rear leg. Having tried fish oil, coconut oil, oatmeal shampoo, and more frequent brushing we're still looking for what will clear it up, or at least keep our girl from chewing on it. Maybe vitamin E oil rubbed in? Suggestions?