Low Protein Kibble

Our vet just called and said that Ruby has the beginning of kidney disease, and he wants me to change her food. Does anyone have a recommendation of one their pup will eat ? He mentioned 2 different ones, but I would love to hear from someone who has a dog that will eat it. Ruby is super picky.

I have been sprinkling her food a bit of liver powder each meal, and I am wondering if I need to stop doing that ?

Also, anyone know what her numbers should be ? Her creatinine was 1.9 and her SMA???? is 15, with normal being up to 14. I am feeling like there is really nothing to panic about.

Karen

Doesn't even sound like she is dealing with renal insufficiency. The creatinine of 1.9 can be a completely normal value for a greyhound and the idexx smda really is inaccurate for a gh. Idexx had indicated that the smda can run on the high side in ghs. What is her BUN and have you run a specific gravity test on her first am urine?

Sounds like your vet needs to brush up on gh values.

Edited to add a link...

https://www.idexx.com/files/small-animal-health/solutions/articles/sdma-faqs.pdf

Edited by tbhounds

I know only enough about this to get us all in trouble, but there was a point where I had freaked out and thought Rainy was having kidney issues. Raw green tripe is apparently a balanced kidney diet all by itself. It smells awful and you have to wear gloves to touch it. (you will not be washing that smell off!)

If we ever do encounter kidney issues, that's my planned go to. Hope you find something that works! Maybe you can do kidney kibble mixed with the green tripe if the kibble is icky tasting?

------

Jessica

Doesn't even sound like she is dealing with renal insufficiency. The creatinine of 1.9 can be a completely normal value for a greyhound and the idexx smda really is inaccurate for a gh. Idexx had indicated that the smda can run on the high side in ghs. What is her BUN and have you run a specific gravity test on her first am urine?

Sounds like your vet needs to brush up on gh values.

Edited to add a link...

https://www.idexx.com/files/small-animal-health/solutions/articles/sdma-faqs.pdf

This is what I was thinking, and I dug out her labs from when we took her to the vet when she moved in, and the numbers are the same. Needless to say......there will be NO GREEN TRIPE here.........UGH. I don't even know where you buy that stuff, but I don't think Ruby will be enjoying it.

Karen

If ever you do need green tripe, you can buy it canned, minimally processed, brand is Tripett. The canned stuff doesn't smell like anything you'd want to eat, but is not as bad as the uncooked version. I wouldn't heat it up though!

The same company, Petkind, makes a tripe based dry food as well. You'd have to look at the nutritional profile, phosphorus in particular, to know if it would be suitable. They have versions of both wet and dry from various animals, and they may not all have the same profile, no idea. Dry doesn't smell bad at all.

All that said, hopefully Ruby is fine and will have no need of this (other than as a treat).

Actually, I think the canned tripe smells worse than the frozen/raw :lol, but yes the freeze dried stuff doesn't small at all. I bet Ruby would love it, but no need to put yourself through dealing with it if you don't want to :). I hope she turns out to not need a special diet after all.

Some one on GT had suggested science diet longevity,lower protein content. I am mixing that with Purina proplan focus and adding potatoes/yams to work with felix's off kidney values.in a month we saw better #s. A nutritionist who spoke at a recent conference was approached by my vet really felix's #s. Her remark about lowering protein was to cut the food with carbs. Her list included pound cake (your dog would be in heaven ). She had good results. And yes, Felix is happy eating junk along with a moderate protein level.what ever???