Splaying Of Back Legs

Guest kar

In June of 2016 you posted this:
how long does everyone walk their hounds during the summer? snow is 9 and is reluctant to walk far. I walk her early morning and late evening. In the winter she will walk for almost an hour.
She also is having recurrent uti's . Does anyone have any experience with this with their dogs?

In April 2017 you posted this:
My dog Snow is 10 years old. I try to walk her twice daily. Sometimes she just refuses to walk, and just freezes until I turn to go for home. Does anyone else encounter this. How often and for how long do people walk their 10 year olds?

From today going back to June 2016 you have posted many of the same problems over and over.

I apologize for this sounding harsh but you need a different vet. Someone is not looking at the whole picture of Snow's health problems.

I'd also suggest reaching out to your adoption group or anyone here on Greytalk that doesn't live far from you. Ask them, if not beg them, to take Snow in for a while. Not forever. Just let someone who has dealt with complicated medical issues study her over a week or so.

There may be something you are missing. I know I am anxious when one of my seniors is in crisis. I miss things. I reach out to others who have had greyhounds much longer than I.

If I don't write everything down, as in the suggestions offered on GT and instructions from my vet, I forget things.

I can see that you love Snow and are getting very stressed about her situation. Let someone help you. Give yourself a break, enjoy the visit with your grandson and son. Snow's lack of response to how you are trying to help, plus that she is not eating well, could certainly be because of your high energy house guests.

Consider it a mini vacation for Snow to spend time elsewhere, with trusted greyhound people in your group or GT people near you. I think it may very well give you the insight you need to make decisions about her the future of her medical care.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please do everything possible to protect Snow from the high energy/unexpected movements of others in your home. Hope she had a thorough physical exam by the vet on Thursday. Seems she's in pain and likely needs X-rays to evaluate the severity of damage her falls may have caused.

Please look up dogs' side effects for all drugs Snow is taking so you will understand what to expect, and when to alert your vet that a different medication should be considered.

If you haven't already, please list each medication; supplement; fish oil; antacid; and anything else over the counter that Snow is ingesting for your vet to review contraindications. All drugs have side effects, which can be worsened if drugs are given on an empty stomach. The risk to benefit dosing decisions should be made by a licensed veterinarian. Consult a vet before starting or stopping any medications including over the counter drugs.

Plain meat baby food (no spices) like Gerber Stage 2 could help when you need to get food in her with medication.

Two of Galliprant's side effects are loss of appetite and diarrhea, among others. (One our hounds lost 3 pounds in one week on Galliprant, so a different drug will be prescribed next time.)

Several of our geriatric Greyhounds have been on Gabapentin. Our vet starts with 100 mg. per dose. Gabapentin is a strong drug, so dosage increases are gradual when needed for higher pain. Even after the hound's body is adjusted to the medication, going from a 100 mg. to 200 mg. dose increases our hounds' sedation; lack of coordination; dizziness; wobbliness, etc., so they're more likely to need human guidance to help prevent falls when moving around while adjusting to the medication. As mentioned above, dogs build up a tolerance to Gabapentin and eventually need increased dosages just to get the same pain relief; also dogs' adjustment time to the drug are other reasons some vets prefer to begin in the lower dosage range.

In my experience, well secured long runner rugs and large area rugs with well-made rug-gripper mats placed underneath, or wall-to-wall carpeting is a necessity for Greyhounds' safety, especially for geriatric age hounds. Elderly hounds are notorious for dangerous slips/falls on surprisingly small areas of hard surface floors, and each serious fall can increase risk of future falls.

Snow had bloodwork at vetst today. She stopped the galliprant for now. Will wait for results tomorrow. Snow is not a racing greyhound. My ex racers already have passed. We do not really have a strong greyhound group in Ct and snow would not do well in another house. Thanks for the suggestions but I am pursuing everything I can for snow and already know summer walks are a no go for her.

I have had snow since she was a puppy and she also has protein loosing neuropathy. That unfortunately was in her blood line. She was diagnosed at five so I believe her vet did ok with that. Unfortunately kidney dogs tire of their food so it can be an issue at times to get her to eat. After having four greys total I do feel they are a delicate breed.

Continuing to keep you and Snow in my thoughts and prayers. :hope:candle

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

We do not really have a strong greyhound group in Ct ....

For the record, this statement is simply not true. There are at least four groups in CT who would be happy to help someone in need. I'm really not sure what you are looking for, since nearly every suggestion offered is met with an excuse as to why it won't work. Good luck to you and Snow.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I have already done all of the suggestions posted. Putting snow in another home would definitely not work. She is very timid with other dogs and strange places. I simply wanted information on medications others have had their dogs on. Unfortunately snow does not do well on some and others the vet is reluctant to try due to her kidney disease. Thanks everyone for your input.

And I did reach out to my group in Ct with one of my racers. Unfortunately I am on the cost and they are inland Ct. in snows situation I do not even know how they could help other than give advice on meds. And if they have not used them they cannot give advice. I would like to know though if any one has a kidney dog on an anti inflammatory for a long period of time since the galliprant is not an option for her. I will know tomorrow if her kidney disease is worse. We usually test once a year or more often if needed.

Edited by kar

Please post the lab results when you get them. As I recall some of the previous values your vet said were bad, but the vet techs here on Greytalk disagreed and they have dealt with many, many greyhounds. I would trust them over your vet.

Let's hope for good results.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Will do but she has protein loosing neuropathy they did not do the urine test as I had no early morning catch. Protein in urine has been plus thee for years.

Hang in there. :grouphug

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

How elevated? That could certainly explain a lot of what your seeing, including the muscle weakness if they're high enough. Hope they can do something for her.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That could also explain her eating problems, I've always been told that kidney issues kill the appetite. :bighug I don't recall (and am too lazy to go back and read the whole thread) have you tried giving her something like pepcid, or cerenia?

Urea nitrogen 38

Creative 1.8

Yet bun/creative ratio is 21

Those are not high at all, barely elevated. I do not think that is what's causing her issues.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Vet was a bit concerned. Her levels have never moved up in five years. He even stopped her enalapril for the time being. I just wish she would eat and drink more. He wants a urine tomorrow. She is very lethargic but I believe diarrhea has stopped.

Like Neylasmom said in post #93, the numbers aren't that bad. We've seen much worse here on Greytalk.

For her age I'd say the heck with the low protein food or whatever she has been on. She needs something she will eat. The high end foods always gave my dogs diarrhea. Try the Iams green bag - not the best but certainly not the worst. Add in a little bit of Beneful wet food (in the little tubs). What have you got to lose? At least try the Iams or Purina One lamb & rice. Both keep my dogs' poop firm. Forget trying any pumpkin. It never helped mine much and sometimes made it worse.

tiny hada siggy.png

I am feeding her chicken right now and her canned kidney food. She ate a little tonight. I will try again later. Mixed in a little rice and some dry. Not too interested in that. They gave me meds for the diarrhea and hydrated her at the vets. She looked like a camel. I love her so much.

The canned kidney food probably tastes like :sick Consider experimenting with other non-Rx dog foods. She needs her strength.

tiny hada siggy.png

I will but I am supposed to keep her bland because of the diahrhea. On top of everything else she has always had a very touchy stomach.

I added broth to her food and I think that's what gave her the diarrhea.

Maybe a fish-based food...kibble or canned? Sardines (packed in water)? Salmon? Green Tripe? Anything stinky.