Splaying Of Back Legs

Guest kar

Never heard of it causing an upset stomach, but hind end weakness from things like LS can cause them,to lose feeling/control of their bowels.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My nearly 11 y. o. boy has no interest in going for a walk. We walk a couple of houses in each direction and he's had enough.

Maybe just getting your girl out to potty and go back home. Let the meds kick in and start working. Then try walking a bit longer. :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Did any ones grey ever get loose stools from gabepentin. I came home to an accident.

Wendy had diarrhea at first and, for the past few days, loose stools but I blamed it on the antibiotics she had been taking. If it continues, I'll discuss it with the vet next Saturday at her follow up appointment and let you know. Hope your precious girl is improving otherwise.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

No now she is really not eating well. Maybe I should just stop all meds and let nature take its course. At least she ate before.

Edited by kar

My nearly 11 y. o. boy has no interest in going for a walk. We walk a couple of houses in each direction and he's had enough.

Maybe just getting your girl out to potty and go back home. Let the meds kick in and start working. Then try walking a bit longer. :dunno

My 11 year old girl has never been an avid walker, even when we got her at 2 years old. We go walkies in the evening because she can not handle the Miami heat. She has her regular route which encompasses half of our block westbound, cross the street, go about another half block eastbound, reading all the p-mails as she goes, pee 5-6 times, one giant poop, then cross the street again and head west towards home. Follow me into the kitchen for a cookie. I've never timed it but it's probably a 10-15 minute routine which hasn't varied in 9 years! I love my little weirdo. :beatheart

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

No now she is really not eating well. Maybe I should just stop all meds and let nature take its course. At least she ate before.

Oh, kar! I've just been through a similar situation so I know how frantic and disheartened you must be. It's so hard to know what is the right thing to do. My suggestion is to go to the vet right away and have your girl assessed. That way you can make an informed decision. It could be she's not eating because she's in pain and needs her meds upped or a different "cocktail" of drugs. Don't be shy about advocating for your dog. Respectfully offer the vet literature or links to Greyhound health sites. My vet, God bless her, will actually go online right then and there to see if there is any "Greyhound weird stuff", as she calls it, to help her treat Wendy. Sending healing thoughts and gentle hugs. Peace to you and scritches for Snow.

She does not act like she is in pain. I knew when my other two were in pain. She is just mush. Three months ago she was doing one hour walks. She is due for yearly blood work next month. Maybe her protein loosing neuropathy is getting the best of her now. I really don't feel these meds are helping her. And she is a horrible pill taker.

She does not act like she is in pain. I knew when my other two were in pain. She is just mush. Three months ago she was doing one hour walks. She is due for yearly blood work next month. Maybe her protein loosing neuropathy is getting the best of her now. I really don't feel these meds are helping her. And she is a horrible pill taker.

Poor baby! By any chance, have you taken her temperature? Wendy was "mush" for a couple of days before she got really sick. Turns out she had a fever.

Vet took her temp on Thursday. I don't have a have any thing to take temp with. I only gave her the gabepentin once today. Will talk to vet on Monday if she is in. She does not do well on a lot of medications, really don't know what to do with her. Still not eating well.

Guess I call vet tomorrow. Snow will only eat if I put chicken in with her food. Then she picks out the chicken and leaves the dry. She does not even want biscuits. Her appetite was so good and now that's gone too. Can't walk her as it is much too hot. So I don't know how her legs are. I did give her her adequen shot and a galliprant but no gabepentin today. Don't know what is going on with her. We were just at vet Thursday.

Edited by kar

I will. I like my vet but there are really no greyhound knowlegable vets in my area. The only greys they had were mine and my other three have passed.

IIRC, your dog was adopted from a group in CT. Have you checked in with them at all? There are several excellent grey-savvy veterinarians in CT. Check with your group, as well as other greyhound owners in your area. If your group no longer exists (which I don't think is the case), check with any of the other CT groups for help and for a vet referral.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

All of the vets are over an hour away from me. Too far for an emergency and snow has many. I live on the coast and all are in inner Ct.

Vet took her temp on Thursday. I don't have a have any thing to take temp with. I only gave her the gabepentin once today. Will talk to vet on Monday if she is in. She does not do well on a lot of medications, really don't know what to do with her. Still not eating well.

You can use any digital, rectal thermometer lubricated with Vaseline or KY jelly.. After the incident with Wendy, I immediately got one exclusively for her use. Normal temps. run from about 100 F to 101 F. Some sites say 99 F to 101.2 F. Ask your vet. Wendy was at 106 F when we arrived at the EV. Her internal organs were starting to marinate. If I had known how to take her temp. earlier on we would have avoided it getting so high. Never again.

The lack of appetite is very distressing. They'll eat one meal and then spend two days barely eating at all. Have you tried bone broth? Cook meaty bones (turkey necks, chicken feet, beef neck bones, etc.) with water and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar low and slow (in a slow cooker if you have one) for 24 hours. Feed the meat, NOT THE BONES, and the broth with or without her regular food.

Why the gabapentin only once today? Are you afraid of overmedicating, like I was? I have to tell you that I hesitated given my girl the gabapentin (I detest drugs!) until I realized how much better she does with the gaba on board.

My heart goes out to you and Snow. I just went through a very similar nightmare of indecision and the fear and pain of watching our beloved hound doing poorly. Praying for a breakthrough. Please keep us in the loop. We really do care and empathize. :hope:candle:grouphug

Edited by LaFlaca

I was afraid gabepentin is why she stopped eating. Will call vet tomorrow. I feel very sad that nothing seems to be working. I just want my dog back. I know she's ten and I should expect it but it's hard.

Well she kinda splayed out on the stairs that never happened before. And still not eating well. I'm really getting concerned. And there are only four stairs.

Edited by kar

Use a towel under her belly to help guide her on the stairs, or any time she may be wobbly.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Please don't stop giving her pain medication. It is so unlikely that thats why she isn't eating. Its much more likely she isn't eating because she's in pain, or something more serious is going on.

If she likes the chicken, why not feed her chicken. You could moisten a small amount of kibble in warm water until its very mushy and then mix it with the chicken. But if chicken is what she'll eat, feed her chicken.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It would be unusual for the gabapentin to affect her appetite negatively. My feeling is that she's not eating because she's in pain. If you think her tummy might be upset, ask the vet for Famotidine (which is actually Pepcid). I'm sure someone on GT can suggest the dosage for OTC Pepcid for a dog of Snow's weight in the meanwhile.

She also had loose stools hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Went for a very short walk and she did ok. I think part of the problem is my son is staying here and when his three year old is racing and jumping near her and his dog is put she gets anxious and moves too fast. I love kids but she is a true spitfire. We both went in my bedroom.