Hello!

Guest DocWatson

Guest DocWatson

Hello everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself and our new addition to the family. We adopted a 3 year old boy on Saturday by the name of Kiowa Drive Dave, who retired from the Birmingham Racecourse in December. This is our first greyhound and first time owning a dog with a racing background. He didn't respond to his name so we decided to go with Doc Watson.

The first couple of days have gone pretty well. We left him alone for a couple of hours in the bedroom yesterday without a crate, and upon returning to a bit of a mess, decided to take the advice of the adoption company and start off with a crate while we're gone. Today is day one with the crate, so wish us luck! We are absolutely in love with our new boy, he is extremely well tempered and getting along with our whippet/lab mix and our cat very well so far. Any advice you guys can offer for a first time retired greyhound parent would be greatly appreciated, I plan on spending lots of time reading around on this forum, as I have already found so much great information!

Thanks!

-Scott, MB, and Doc

Welcome.

Most greyhounds do not like being kept behind a closed door in a room. It adds stress because they want to know what's going on in the rest of the house. If you need to contain the dog to a room, use a gate in the doorway and leave the door open. No problems with using a crate, but again, leave the door to the room open if the hound is in a crate.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest DocWatson

Welcome.

Most greyhounds do not like being kept behind a closed door in a room. It adds stress because they want to know what's going on in the rest of the house. If you need to contain the dog to a room, use a gate in the doorway and leave the door open. No problems with using a crate, but again, leave the door to the room open if the hound is in a crate.

That makes sense. My other dog is not crate trained and roams free. Do you think that would cause anxiety for Doc if the other dog freely roams around him while he is in his crate?

Thanks!

Guest kelsey1ann

We just adopted our greyhound from Birmingham, too! My boyfriend and I live in tuscaloosa. His name was Highway Man, but we renamed him Willie.

Guest DocWatson

We just adopted our greyhound from Birmingham, too! My boyfriend and I live in tuscaloosa. His name was Highway Man, but we renamed him Willie.

That's awesome! They're good people up there, lots of helpful advice! Love the name, best of luck to you guys!!

welcome aboard. (my family lives mostly in cullman co., way up nawth of y'all)

most do not respond to their official name, they may have a call name they are more used to that may not get passed on to an adopter. my female irish ex racer was named 'millie', her call name. she raced as 'balto millenium' - balto was a famous race horse - and she was born in 2000 (i know, thechnically the millenium was 2001). my boy greyhound wasn't a racer - the police that found him called him 'blue' - so i did too. i listed him on 'greyhound data' website as 'bonney blue flag'. (he was a blue brindle) millie was already listed.

my male greyhound was fostered, so after i adopted him, he NEVER went to the toilet indoors. i was told his foster locked him in the kitchen once and he chewed off the bottom of the door and escaped into the living room. he never went in the bathroom on purpose or to follow me. he'd hide if i said 'bath'. he luckily only needed two in his life. otherwise i'd rinse him off outside, or the rain would.

my female came straight from the track kennels, took a couple months to house train to where she could be left alone for more than a few hours. she did figure out after a day or so that i went in the littlest room myself, so if she had to she peed on the rug in there, i put down plastic under it. and washed it a lot. she gradually built up to where she could be left alone - with my male - for quite a while. she never went into the bathroom if i was in there - it had the feared and dreaded 'bath' thing and i'd actually tried to dissolve her in it once. again, thereafter only outside.

both did NOT like getting wet and given half a chance would not go out in the rain unless dragged. they looked at me with their ' i melt in the rain' looks. but once out they were fine.

both were never crated. racing kennels here in the UK tend to be larger concrete floored fenced pens with two dogs per.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Welcome! My most important piece of advice is to have fun watching your hound's personality blossom even more as he learns how to become a pet instead of a working dog. Your whippet-lab (now that must be a bundle of energy!) is probably showing him the ropes, right? If you haven't already, you may want to search for Alone Training, And, no, I don't think it'll stress your crated hound more if the other dog is loose, as long as he can see him. I've always started out new hounds in a crate, and they've all graduated to freedom of the livingroom-kitchen.

My second-most important piece of advice is not to read much now in the Medical forum, or you'll be convinced that Doc Watson is dying in front of your very eyes of multiple terminal conditions. :lol One thread you may like is How Your Dog Ran at the Track, which right now is a page down in the Everything Else Greyhound forum. In that one, a knowledgeable person is kind enough to interpret your dog's racing record if you are interested.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Welcome from Germany. I never used a crate but tried a baby gate once. My blue boy Paddy just ran it down (no injuries) so I just let him roam free. No more problems.... as long as everything interesting is in the cupboards ;-)

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gryhounnd

Hello all,

My name is Bryan and I'm coming to this forum to learn about Greyhounds from their owners. I recently experienced the death of my dog of 13 years Dingo, a Mountain Cur. I am very interested in learning about Greyhounds over and above what I have read. My questions concern things like shedding, energy levels, grooming, aptitude for training, barking, socialization, and health issues. Any info I can learn on these subjects would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Gryhounnd