A Few Behavior / Communication Questions

Guest raciere

Guest raciere

We have a gorgeous, 2 year old brindle female, named Anaya. She is our second grey, adopted after the sudden death of our first.

Anaya has a few (seemingly unique) behaviors that we'd like to better understand. Any insights or comments welcome.

1. When ANY guest comes over, Anaya has what we call happy seizures. She jumps, twirls, trembles, teeth chatters, and smiles for a good 2-3 minutes. Once she's connected with the visitor directly, a few pats, etc... ahe calms down and then eventually forgets them. If we have a party, she HAS to do this each person. I mean, they really do seem like trembling happy seizures. And no manner of cajoling, pleading etc will dissuade her. If we put her on a leash, it helps w the jumping, but not the trembling. For the most part it's cute, but the jumping is a bit much.

Is this common with greys? A stress response? She've NEVER growled or shown anything but happy vibes.

2. She loves putting her paws on us. If we're on the couch, she'll come over to be pet... and then will put one paw on a lap or on a shoulder. If dissuaded, she'll insist. It seems to be a way of connecting. She loves to put a paw on us. Sometimes, I'm convinced she'd crawl into our lap if we let her.

Connected to the paw move, ahe loves to put her nose up to our face, and sniff a million miles an hour, with eye contact, for as long as we'll let her.

3. Sometimes at night, she'll wheeze strongly, breathing in and out, and then will slightly gag a bit... and then she's fine.

All told, she's incredibly well adapted... a happy,

contented, member of the family, and we adore her.

Any insights to the above behaviors appreciated.

Anaya (lovely name) sounds like Miss Personality! I've only had one grey myself so don't have a ton of experience to offer, but I wonder if #3 is reverse sneezing. Sweep does it occasionally too and I've never worried too much about it. Sometimes vigorously rubbing her throat makes it pass more quickly.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

The post above about reverse sneezing is excellent.

Your pup sounds like a wonderful greyhound! Young, enthusiastic, interactive (how many posts here are from people who wish their dog would be more interactive and play! - many!). The trembling is likely that she is SO excited and interested in what's going on (a la Paddy Mayhem at Petco :lol ). The jumping can be easily addressed. As to her pawing and being curious with her nose? I'd go with it. She really wants to be part of your/her new loving family. Good luck, it really sounds as tho you have a gem of a hound!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Johnny loves to meet visitors, too! He's not that extreme, but he does jump on people, and we're still working on that! A 80 lbs launch into your gut is not fun. And he'll do it on your back, too, OUCH!

He will lay partly in my lap, too. He loves to put his head under my arm and just stay there. What a weirdo!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

To answer you questions: Yes, all that behavior is very normal for a greyhound. :) She's young and outgoing and curious and seems to be a total sweetheart! Win-win!

As far as the greeting ritual she seems to have established, it would be great to set up a day when several of your understand friends can come over and practice with her. Just like any desensitization, it's the repetition that calms the situation down. Have them come over and once in the door, completely ignore her - turn their back and fold their arms in front of them - until all four feet are on the floor. If she starts up again when they turn around, they go back to ignoring immediately. She only gets attention (and lots of treats and praise) from them when she's *not* jumping around like a lunatic! ;) The trembling and chattering are happy/excited responses that will probably die down as she matures.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Izzy2

Hi she sounds adorable. I totally agree with Greysmom this is what we do with Leonbergers just ignore no eye contact no matter how much the dog tries to get your attention then when she has calmed down fuss her on YOUR terms. It really does work 😁😁

Lily puppy bows bum wiggling and teeth chattering all with excitement when you walk in and Biffo bless his heart jumps at you and goes scatty.

Must admit it's a great welcoming lol

Let us know how it goes and enjoy her 😁😁😁

The paw thing sounds familiar A friend of mine who is a trainer has several racing greys who 'give cuddles. You kneel in front of them, they put both paws on your shoulders and their heads into your neck. Completely adorable! I have another two who just need to be physically in contact with you as much as possible. It's like a battery recharging. Very comforting!

Guest Garey

Pepper does all of these.

The wild happy behavior has calmed down with time (my previous dog, may he rest in peace, did the same thing so I was prepared when I got her) into something much more manageable. The teeth chattering still sets me on edge sometimes... it's just WEIRD! But it's somehow kind of cute. She's still a huge "snuffler"--anyone new gets sniffed like crazy for as long as they'll tolerate. She prefers to sleep/relax with her head or a paw touching me, but will also go sleep by herself at times. I personally think it's cute, but I'm all about cuddly animals.

• 2 weeks later...