Lesion/hematoma On Penis

I've recently noticed dried blood on my boy's legs, but could not find any cuts - since he is thin skinned, I figured he had gotten a nick somewhere that I couldn't see, and he wasn't bothered by it. Finally traced it to coming from his penis, and off to the vet we went. It's just blood, not ooze, no smell, not a high volume. The vet extruded his penis and found a lesion/hematoma on the top of the actual penis, maybe 1-2 inches in from the tip that is covered by the sheath. At least I think it was on the top side. (My apologies, my dog man-parts terminology is probably lacking.) It wasn't a gash, just a large (I thought) irritation, bloody and raw. He also mentioned bruising. He looked all over his belly and legs for signs of other bruising, and there was none.

He did a urinalysis. Nothing awry.

He was really puzzled as to how he sustained an injury/hematoma like that in that position. He's not exactly an active, rough-housing sort of dog. It's protected by his belly and the sheath. There's no injury to that skin that connects that sheath to his belly.

He put him on 10-days of antibiotic and he's already on an anti-inflammatory for arthritis and said not to touch or manipulate it (i.e. not to clean/salve it) because he thought that aggravating it would be worse, and to call back in 10 days to update him.

Of course, I google bleeding dog penis and read so many alarming things it could be - cancer, prostrate.... I am racking my brain to think of how he could injure it. The only thing I can think of was jumping up onto a couch or the car seat or bed and maybe hitting his belly against the edge....but I can't quite imagine him twisting that way, or doing specific enough damage to break that much skin.

Anyone else encountered something of this nature? How did it go/progress?

My first thought would be something like a grass seed or stem has gotten stuck inside his sheath, or he got poked by a stick or something. Did the vet irrigate the sheath?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My first thought would be something like a grass seed or stem has gotten stuck inside his sheath, or he got poked by a stick or something. Did the vet irrigate the sheath?

Thank you for the idea. We only leash-walk, they're never off leash in the yard, so I think something would have gotten in there. No, the vet did not irrigate.

No experience with penis injury but just want to suggest don't even worry about how it may have happened. You'll just drive yourself crazy. I have had many greyhounds for many years. Sudden injuries-sometimes even large and serious- from unknown causes that mysteriously appear are a breed characteristic imo. Most we will never know what caused them. It is a greyhound thing. BTW could it be a foxtail that got inside his sheath?

Has he been licking more than usual? Maybe something small that got irritated?

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Now this is a new one!

I guess an STD is out of the question? :)

Does he lick it a lot? Dogs can suffer from OCD and just lose control of their normal cleaning routine. My boy does tend to lick his man bits more than any other dog I've had. I just tell him he's being disgusting and he stops.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck