Idea For Some Enterprising Gettysburg Vendor

jetcitywoman

... or attendee, I suppose. I get to vend as a merchant at Gettysburg this year and I'm jumping up and down excited about it. The vendor info says that this year cars won't be allowed to drive into the building to load/unload, though, so we need to bring our own dollies or carts. I'm a small vendor who will pack my car full of merchandise and really don't have room for a dolly or cart too. I'll make do. But my idea is that someone should bring like 5 or 10 dollies and hand carts and rent them to us vendors for something like a dollar each, in 15 minute increments. You wouldn't make a huge amount of money, but it would sure be helpful!

Edited by jetcitywoman

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I carry this folding hand truck in the car when I take boxes to UPS or have to handle some large item. I bought mine at Big Lots years ago for 25 bucks. It is a back saver. It folds flat and you can maneuver some really large boxes on it. Might be worth having since it takes up almost no room.

https://www.amazon.com/Personal-Capacity-Aluminum-Folding-Silver/dp/B000HVVSDU

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks for that hand truck reference. I'm impressed with people saying they put it into the overhead bin on a plane! I also like the no-air-required tires. The hand cart we currently have, in addition to not being foldable or light, has flat tires. <_<

This sounds like just what I need!

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

Guest goofydog2

I bought the above mentioned hand truck for $19 at Home Depot a year or two ago. It can carry 150 lbs at a time and has been a lifesaver! I can bungee an xpen, chair and small foldong side table to it. After I began showing up with it at events they started sprouting up in the group! Great little workhorse that can be stowed pretty much anywhere.

Gotta love entrepreneurship! I also suggest that the enterprising post his/her/their services on social media well in advance so that people can get in touch, make plans, and otherwise not have to worry quite so much.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Did you check with the GIG committee to see if they can put out the word for volunteers to assist vendors with loading and unloading? People come in a day or 2 early and some might be willing to help set up. Others may not feel like going back to their hotel between the end of vending and the party and might be willing to assist with breakdown.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

The high school students at brimfield do that for each and every show(the whole town goes crazy making $$$). the local church groups make fantastic pies....mmmm....sherpas and pies...that could be wonderful!!!

we arrived on wed. last year and were only permitted to set up our tables and lattice for hanging. check, the administrators are wonderful and supportive. but i guarantee a dolly or hand truck is something that you won't regret. the only time we don't use ours is when a show is unionized(the pier shows, NYC) and the union workers must do the moving of boxes and merchandise.

Yep, I'm going to get that folding hand truck for sure. I agree with Jen, though, it would be a nice fundraiser for a rescue group. I didn't bother Tina and her crew because they already have their hands full and I'm sure they would have offered it if they could.

• 2 months later...

I carry this folding hand truck in the car when I take boxes to UPS or have to handle some large item. I bought mine at Big Lots years ago for 25 bucks. It is a back saver. It folds flat and you can maneuver some really large boxes on it. Might be worth having since it takes up almost no room.

https://www.amazon.com/Personal-Capacity-Aluminum-Folding-Silver/dp/B000HVVSDU

Hey there, just wanted to post a followup. I actually did buy one of these and used it this weekend at Gig. It was PERFECT! Thank you so much! I had no idea they made functional hand trucks that were foldable and so small and light. It's now a permanent part of my "event kit". :colgate:wub:

Edited by jetcitywoman

BTW, and off topic, but I really LOVE the pin that Nittany gave out in all the vendor packets. It's most beautimus. I don't really wear pins, but am thinking about buying some sort of scarf that I can hang up and display pretty pins like this one.