Bright Mind Advertising

Was watching a commercial for Purina's Bright Mind dog food the other day -- you know, the one where the 10-yo border collie goes from rug to supermind in 30 days. It's marketed for dogs age 7+. I looked over at my two 7-yo's, who were doing their best imitations of striped sea slugs, and said "Maybe we could use some of that around here." Milo gave me a rolling stinkeye, which clearly replied, "Yah, let us know how that works out for you."

Really, the advertising regulations for pet food must not be the same as for human food or drugs. Can you imagine an ad saying that if older humans ate a certain brand of food, you could see noticeable cognitive improvement in 30 days? Bright Mind has

• Enhanced botanical oils shown to promote alertness and mental sharpness in dogs 7+, with visible results within 30 days
  • Contains a blend of brain-supporting nutrients for cognitive health: arginine, DHA & EPA, antioxidants including vitamins E and C, and B vitamins including folic acid and pyridoxine
  • High-quality protein, including chicken as the first ingredient
  • EPA, an omega-3 fatty acid, and glucosamine help support joint health and mobility
  • Vitamin A and Linoleic Acid, an Omega-6 Fatty Acid, for Healthy Skin and Coat
  • Natural prebiotic fiber, sourced from wheat bran, helps promote digestive health

Or, about the same as many other kibbles. What are "visible results"?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

a friend of mine saw wonderful results when her 11 year old greyhound went on it. she was amazed and has suggested it to me. it's $11 more a bag than the Purina Proplan Focus/large breed. we were comparing ingredients, almost identical!!! very little of the extra supplements in the bright mind, 2% more protein. we read and compared the bags she said, "stick with focus until you find a sale."when i goes on sale i'll stock up. i'm waiting for a sale...HA!

i have been really impressed w/ the focus line. coats look remarkable and i've stopped adding cold pressed fish oil. felix and annie needed to gain weight and over the past 3 months they have returned to their "good weight". annie was 10#s underweight w/ her cronic colitis(she had a really bad june and july and part of august. it took nearly 6 weeks for the flagyl to kick in) and the ID food did bupkhas. felix's pancreatitis has not flared up- knock on wood! and very little poop.....we can go for a walk and not use a bag.....NOW THAT'S UNHEARD OF!!!! i've cut back portions and 66# ms. a is eating 2.5 cups, the prince is around 4 cups holding his 74# mark. i don't feed treats...so that's all they get.

• Guaranteed Analysis LARGE BREED FOCUS
  • Crude Protein (Min) 28% Crude Fat (Min) 13% Crude Fiber (Max) 6% Moisture (Max) 12% Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.6% Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.1% Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8%
  • Selenium (Min) 0.3mg/kg Vitamin A (Min) 15000IU/kg Vitamin E (Min) 100IU/kg Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)* (Min) 0.05% Glucosamine* (Min) 500ppm

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles

• BRIGHT MIND SENIOR Guaranteed Analysis
  • Crude Protein (Min) 29% Crude Fat (Min) 14% Crude Fiber (Max) 3% Moisture (Max) 12% Arginine (Min) 1.2% Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.3% Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA)* (Min) 0.15% Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)* (Min) 0.15% Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.0% Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8%
  • Selenium (Min) 0.3mg/kg Vitamin A (Min) 14000IU/kg Vitamin E (Min) 500IU/kg Pyridoxine (Min) 3.0mg/kg Folic Acid (Min) 0.6mg/kg Ascorbic Acid* (Min) 90mg/kg Glucosamine* (Min) 500ppm Omega 3 Fatty Acids* (Min) 0.4% Omega 6 Fatty Acids* (Min)
Edited by cleptogrey

a friend of mine saw wonderful results when her 11 year old greyhound went on it. she was amazed and has suggested it to me. it's $11 more a bag than the Purina Proplan Focus/large breed. we were comparing ingredients, almost identical!!! very little of the extra supplements in the bright mind, 2% more protein. we read and compared the bags she said, "stick with focus until you find a sale."when i goes on sale i'll stock up. i'm waiting for a sale...HA!

i have been really impressed w/ the focus line. coats look remarkable and i've stopped adding cold pressed fish oil. felix and annie needed to gain weight and over the past 3 months they have returned to their "good weight". annie was 10#s underweight w/ her cronic colitis(she had a really bad june and july and part of august. it took nearly 6 weeks for the flagyl to kick in) and the ID food did bupkhas. felix's pancreatitis has not flared up- knock on wood! and very little poop.....we can go for a walk and not use a bag.....NOW THAT'S UNHEARD OF!!!! i've cut back portions and 66# ms. a is eating 2.5 cups, the prince is around 4 cups holding his 74# mark. i don't feed treats...so that's all they get.

• Guaranteed Analysis LARGE BREED FOCUS
  • Crude Protein (Min) 28% Crude Fat (Min) 13% Crude Fiber (Max) 6% Moisture (Max) 12% Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.6% Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.1% Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8%
  • Selenium (Min) 0.3mg/kg Vitamin A (Min) 15000IU/kg Vitamin E (Min) 100IU/kg Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)* (Min) 0.05% Glucosamine* (Min) 500ppm

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles

• BRIGHT MIND SENIOR Guaranteed Analysis
  • Crude Protein (Min) 29% Crude Fat (Min) 14% Crude Fiber (Max) 3% Moisture (Max) 12% Arginine (Min) 1.2% Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.3% Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA)* (Min) 0.15% Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)* (Min) 0.15% Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.0% Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8%
  • Selenium (Min) 0.3mg/kg Vitamin A (Min) 14000IU/kg Vitamin E (Min) 500IU/kg Pyridoxine (Min) 3.0mg/kg Folic Acid (Min) 0.6mg/kg Ascorbic Acid* (Min) 90mg/kg Glucosamine* (Min) 500ppm Omega 3 Fatty Acids* (Min) 0.4% Omega 6 Fatty Acids* (Min)

Not trying to hijack but I'm curious how Annie's colitis was affected by this food. Rocket has stress colitis and is on Tylan 3 times a day. For now, we are using Rachael Ray Turkey and Potato Grain Free with fairly good results, but I always want to have a Plan B for when they change the formula or the food stops working. Thanks.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

she sorta stabilized on home cooked rice and chicken after a many weeks of flagyl(hence the weight loss). i did ask my vet the reasoning behind flagyl vs. tylan powder which i see rocket is on. it's all a matter of schooling. since she was finally doing ok i went on the hunt for a plain chicken and rice food w/ less fat....more protein than the blue seal which i was feeding(24%p/14%f) and a reasonable price. grains never seemed to affect her- oatmeal didn't agree, it went right thru her, but she eats pasta, rice, wheat products- couscous etc. with out a problem. i was cooking everything from scratch. so, out of desperation i decided to try the pro plan focus. something in the Iams green or red bag just didn't ring a bell.she was on low fat Nutro & Blue Seal- but i couldn't get enough calories in. low and behold, it worked w/ her. yes, a slow transition from rice and chicken to the food and i have been able to keep her on a maintenance dose of 250 mg of flagyl. i have tried, as suggested by my vet, to dose her every other day. no way, i skip a day then i need to give her morning and evening flagyl for 3 days.

i did ask about long term use of the antibiotic loosing it's effectiveness. i was told that for some reason dogs do not become immune to the drug as humans may. maybe ask as i did about flagyl vs tylan powder. it's a phone call and doesn't hurt. that sounds like a lot of tylan per day. when i did use tylan it was 1/4t. per dose. also, tylan is injectable. i think it's more effective then. let me know if you contact your vet and ask. just curious....yup, this colitis is a PITA!

she sorta stabilized on home cooked rice and chicken after a many weeks of flagyl(hence the weight loss). i did ask my vet the reasoning behind flagyl vs. tylan powder which i see rocket is on. it's all a matter of schooling. since she was finally doing ok i went on the hunt for a plain chicken and rice food w/ less fat....more protein than the blue seal which i was feeding(24%p/14%f) and a reasonable price. grains never seemed to affect her- oatmeal didn't agree, it went right thru her, but she eats pasta, rice, wheat products- couscous etc. with out a problem. i was cooking everything from scratch. so, out of desperation i decided to try the pro plan focus. something in the Iams green or red bag just didn't ring a bell.she was on low fat Nutro & Blue Seal- but i couldn't get enough calories in. low and behold, it worked w/ her. yes, a slow transition from rice and chicken to the food and i have been able to keep her on a maintenance dose of 250 mg of flagyl. i have tried, as suggested by my vet, to dose her every other day. no way, i skip a day then i need to give her morning and evening flagyl for 3 days.

i did ask about long term use of the antibiotic loosing it's effectiveness. i was told that for some reason dogs do not become immune to the drug as humans may. maybe ask as i did about flagyl vs tylan powder. it's a phone call and doesn't hurt. that sounds like a lot of tylan per day. when i did use tylan it was 1/4t. per dose. also, tylan is injectable. i think it's more effective then. let me know if you contact your vet and ask. just curious....yup, this colitis is a PITA!

He had a lot of Flagyl over the years. The Tylan stabilized things. I think there can also be some side effects with long term Flagyl use that our vet didn't want to chance. Rocket did great on Precise Foundation Chicken Meal and Rice and Precise Senior for years, but it just seemed after about 4 years he was having more issues and needed a change. We have had pretty good results on the Turkey and Potato as well as Olewo Carrots. Maybe with enough time, we can go back to a chicken and rice product if we need to.

Thanks for the info.

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Time4anap and Cleptogrey, I really can't say enough how really surprised I was using acupuncture for Lilly's IBS. I was skeptical, let me tell you, but it helped in all aspects of her condition - her stress and anxiety, her digestion, her appetite, her poops - just about everything cleared up or got a *lot* better. And, though she's on a chinese herbal supplement, she's not on any other medications for her IBS. She is intolerant to chicken, so de-chickening her diet also helped immensely, but I saw steady improvements after each of the 6 acupuncture treatments she did.

Just putting that out there.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

chinese herbs are wonderful. i used an acupuncturist for over a dozen years, then i had to leave her practice since she was blowing the treatments w/ her republician political alignment. a right wing acupuncturist??? the herbs really cut to the chase. unfortunately the only canine acupt. around here is hooked up w/ a holistic practice that i'm not particularly fond of. the others that i have heard of who have treated dogs in this area are they type who complete the basic training but not experts in the herbal aspect (which my old republican practitioner was). i just wish she kept her mouth shut, other wise i would have asked her for suggestions.

btw, what herbs are you using, brand and name?? also, i did 2 years of treatments for GERD and ended up w/ ulcerated esophagus and other problems. sometimes it just doesn't work-----and that was before she became a devout republican!

Not trying to hijack but I'm curious how Annie's colitis was affected by this food. Rocket has stress colitis and is on Tylan 3 times a day. For now, we are using Rachael Ray Turkey and Potato Grain Free with fairly good results, but I always want to have a Plan B for when they change the formula or the food stops working. Thanks.

You can give Tylan 3 times a day? Sunshine is on it twice a day. Great to know we have some increase room if we have more issues!

------

Jessica

chinese herbs are wonderful. i used an acupuncturist for over a dozen years, then i had to leave her practice since she was blowing the treatments w/ her republician political alignment. a right wing acupuncturist??? the herbs really cut to the chase. unfortunately the only canine acupt. around here is hooked up w/ a holistic practice that i'm not particularly fond of. the others that i have heard of who have treated dogs in this area are they type who complete the basic training but not experts in the herbal aspect (which my old republican practitioner was). i just wish she kept her mouth shut, other wise i would have asked her for suggestions.

btw, what herbs are you using, brand and name?? also, i did 2 years of treatments for GERD and ended up w/ ulcerated esophagus and other problems. sometimes it just doesn't work-----and that was before she became a devout republican!

I'm not sure if they are "normal" chinese herbal mixtures or some concoction of this vet. Lilly takes 2 grams each of three different herb mixtures twice a day. They are called "Hot Gut Healer," "Mild Gut Healer," and "Simmer Down." I've been gradually weaning her off them to see if we can stop them entirely.

FWIW, our acupuncture vet is also a fully credentialed regular vet. Lilly goes back for a follow up appointment on Thursday, so we'll see how she does.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

That's what they're called on the labels. I think these must be proprietary blends our vet has created herself. I can try and take a picture of the ingredients list if you want to see what's in them.

• 2 weeks later...

You can give Tylan 3 times a day? Sunshine is on it twice a day. Great to know we have some increase room if we have more issues!

Dosage was calculated by the vet based on weight. Rocket is a big boy at 86lbs so he can do 3 times.

Going to ask the vet about accupuncture for Rocket. He has an old racing injury that is making him a little gimpy, so if it will help with digestion too, that's a plus. We are actually transitioning to the Purina Focus Large Breed food you suggested now. We had another week of waking up to tummy squeals and gurgles after this thread started, so I picked up a bag and have been doing a slow changeover. Everything is starting to improve at the halfway point.

Time4anap and Cleptogrey, I really can't say enough how really surprised I was using acupuncture for Lilly's IBS. I was skeptical, let me tell you, but it helped in all aspects of her condition - her stress and anxiety, her digestion, her appetite, her poops - just about everything cleared up or got a *lot* better. And, though she's on a chinese herbal supplement, she's not on any other medications for her IBS. She is intolerant to chicken, so de-chickening her diet also helped immensely, but I saw steady improvements after each of the 6 acupuncture treatments she did.

Just putting that out there.

Good info. Thanks!

Edited by Time4ANap

If you can find focus senior large breed it's 12 percent fat and 29 percent protein. No one in ny can get it,I found it in San Antonio last summer. That's even easier with less fat.

It looks like that one may not exist any more. There's one seller of it on Amazon at $ 97 per bag which makes me think the supply is ending or has ended.

We completed the transition and Rocket loves this food. Even though he has a slight limp from the old racing injury, he is definitely displaying more energy than he has in a while. He is once again going our whole walking route which is about a mile instead of turning around a few blocks from the house. He is running, spinning, playing and just much livelier overall. He also is awake much more of the day instead of sleeping.

The accupuncture vet can't see him until March due to scheduling issues, but this food seems to be helping both his overall energy and his stomach.

Edited to add: We are just back from our walk - third day in row he has insisted on doing the full walk and didn't turn around to go home. I have to think that the food is giving him a better energy level and he's feeling better.

Edited by Time4ANap

Amazon has Bright Mind Senior Large Breed 7+, but they now label it as Bright Mind instead of "Focus." It is also now "7+" instead of "Senior."

Not sure if this is a change from what it was, or if there was just some confusion on my part since Focus and Bright Mind seem to be 2 different lines within that particular business segment of Purina. Local store had one but not the other.

For now, I'm sticking with the Focus Large Breed Adult (actual product name) instead of the Senior since that's what we transitioned Rocket to and it is working well.

Here's the link to the Bright Mind Large Breed 7+ (Senior.)