Eating Dirt And Rocks

My non-greyhound sighthound likes to eat rocks, little bitty rocks (fortunately)that pass through. I scoured my yard and removed all that I could find. She'll paw into the sandy soil to find them, especially right up against the back of the house. My temporary fix was to put down some roofing shingles. Deterrent sprays work for a little while but she finds a new spot.

Now that we seem to be rock-free and it's much much colder out she is eating dirt. Not topsoil but kinda of a dirt/sand/clay combo that she's pawed up.

When she's outside I always out there with her, but hubby doesn't. At least she doesn't try to eat poop.

Before I start putting a muzzle with a poop cup on her I have some questions.

Everything I've read about pica says it could be a mineral deficiency. Does anyone know what is the primary missing mineral? What is the name of the test that might show this?

Certainly a possibility with her as she came from a neglect/abusive situation with a multitude of medical problems (heartworms, intestinal worms, flea dermatitis, vagina/bladder infections and pregnant. Pups didn't survive.) She has recovered from all the other problems. Could that have thrown her into this pica problem?

I also read that this could be behavioral. We often play with a lure pole - her favorite thing to do. Unfortunately going for a walk isn't safe due to too many loose pit bull-types dogs that are aggressive.

She needs to lose a few pounds so I've been taking out some kibble and replacing with veggies.

So, if you've had a pica dog did you ever find anything to cure it other than a muzzle? Did you ever have any lab testing done?

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Nothing I've ever found has either contributed or solved the dirt eating issue, except a muzzle+stool guard. I've run every test and tried many vitamin/mineral additives. Greyhounds with compromised histories, no history of abuse, even Lilly will eat dirt if I let her.

But I have noticed it has to be the *right* dirt of the *right* consistency and the *right* moisture content - each one has their own preferences. And they do it more in Spring and Fall than other times of the year.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think they gravitate to dirt or rocks out of habit (maybe she used to do it before you had her) and I think it's also to curb hunger so they in a way work hand in hand. I remember reading up on a bunch of weird things when Kasey was eating poopsicles. If she's overweight, that might be an indicator of an insatiable appetite. Perhaps look into green beans, beets, etc as it's known to be filling?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

As an aside, PBS ran a story last night about women eating "white dirt". Looks like chunks of chalk. It wasn't the taste they wanted but the texture. Men weren't interested in it. It's mined in Georgia and sold in various markets around the world labeled "not for human consumption". Pregnant women were really drawn to it. There is no nutritional value. The downside is that it can cause severe anemia.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My male greyhound was something of a compulsive eater outside. He'd go for poop, dirt, leaves, snow, etc. Only help was a muzzle with stool guard. Sorry!

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds