Apoquel - Requesting Feedback From Users

bvroman

Our 3.5 year old grey, Wilma, is suffering from contact dermatitis on all 4 paws. She is miserable; licks constantly resulting in us putting on her muzzle with poop guard much too frequently. We want to try APOQUEL to give Wilma some relief. From my research, it sounds like a good solution. I am very interested in hearing real life experiences from greyhound parents about how this drug worked for your grey, where you buy it, other tips. Any and all info and experiences are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Have you tried anti-histamines? Apoquel as far as I'm concerned is truly a miracle drug for dogs for whom other meds aren't sufficent. My only concern remains the somwhat limited research on long term effects. I believe there was one study that followed dogs up to 5 years, the others were much shorter. So I would want to try other meds first, but in a situation like yours it could provide much needed relief.

I've used it short term with Violet. Her face swelled up from who knows what - presumably a contact allergy and the Apoquel was really helpful. Skye, my mix, takes it daily for an issue with her vulva and it has been a lifesaver. I'm hoping to get her off of it at least temporarily through the winter months, but if we can't, we can't.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Our Lilly was licking her feet and her butt raw from allergies. Her ears were beet red and you could see her skin was pink through her fur! Nothing else worked for us. Within an hour of her first Apoquel dose she stopped itching and licking. She's been on it now for over a year without any problems. We're not sure what she's allergic to but it comes back every time we try and get her off it.

FYI it is a bit expensive, but really, a life saver if it works for your girl.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Love apoquel. I've used it religiously for the past few years. Typically offers relief within hours. It will not address the underlying cause of the itch but, will give your pet relief from the itch which will in turn allow the halt of self trauma.

Most ghs will take 16mg twice daily initially for 2 weeks for a chronic problem then wean down once a day or as needed. Can be given with most other medications including corticosteroids.

THANKS everyone for sharing your experiences with APOQUEL. Our vet prescribed our Wilma 16mg twice/day for 2 weeks - then recheck appointment. Already I am amazed that after only 1 day Wilma has stopped licking her inflamed paws! It truly is a miracle drug!

Happy New Yesr greyhound friends!

• 2 weeks later...

The company that produces it is Zoetis with its parent company being Pfizer. Pfizer has separated its vet/animal division from the human med division. I ran into the drug rep for the company when I was at the vet with a hound and had a very informative conversation with him about this product as well as gathering a pile of literature on Apoquel (Oclacitinib). Seems to be a good product. My vet was very interested. If it works half as good as they say it will be a good thing for dogs. Lots of info here.

https://www.zoetisus.com/bmst-minisite-apoquel/index.aspx

Edited by rycezmom

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

That is great that Wilma has had such a dramatic and quick improvement!

How expensive is "a bit expensive" ?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest arlosmom

We gave it to our grey as a last resort for a mysterious foot swelling when pred did not work. It did not do much but made jim incredibly happy and perky. However it did give him loose stools.

Just received refill from our vet at $2.64/tablet because we needed it immediately. I have seen it available from online suppliers for less and plan to go that route. It appears to really be a miracle drug for our girl - no more chewing & licking her feet.

How expensive is "a bit expensive" ?