How Soon After A Spay/neuter...

How soon after a spay or neuter do the hormones fade away? (I'm sure I'm not phrasing that right.)

A potential adopter has an unaltered 10 month old husky. I'm thinking it would still be wanting to hump a greyhound who has just had surgery.

How long past surgery would be best to wait? Six months?

I have not yet spoken with the applicant regarding the unaltered husky and so do not know if they do or do not plan to. Vet reference check was good.

Other than this my other concern is rough play with this puppy and a greyhound's thin skin.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Mounting can be a dominance behavior for males AND females. My Lab (long since spayed) tried to hump my #3 cat when she was a teeny kitten, that was funny as hell!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Neutering/spaying doesn't stop a dog from recognizing an intact animal and having a reaction. It doesn't even necessarily stop them from breeding. A neutered male can still identify an in heat female, and some will still copulate and tie... there just won't be any resulting puppies. Females of course have no interest in breeding when spayed because they don't come into season anymore.

And not every intact male is obnoxious and over the top. Plenty of people live with both intact males and females in the same household and they don't have constant humping and display behaviours. They just separate when the females come into season. So unless the husky has been known to be obnoxious there's no reason to believe he can't live with a dog that was just recently altered.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

And not every intact male is obnoxious and over the top. Plenty of people live with both intact males and females in the same household and they don't have constant humping and display behaviours. They just separate when the females come into season. So unless the husky has been known to be obnoxious there's no reason to believe he can't live with a dog that was just recently altered.

This has been my experience. My two Ibizan boys were both intact for years and they didn't bother females, intact or spayed. They are both neutered now but my Ibizan pup went into season recently (she'd growing up too fast!) and they couldn't care less. They haven't bothered her a bit.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

The 10 month old husky is a male. Applicants have not yet responded to my inquiries on when to do the home inspection. They also had not indicated if they were interested in a male or female greyhound.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Personally, I'd be more concerned with finding a good match for rough play. My hounds play rough and wild and we've had some minor injuries over the years from it. Huskies are really high energy endurance dogs. I'm surprised they don't want an equally high energy dog as a playmate. I know that my life would be much crazier if my high energy hounds didn't have each other to play with.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Personally, I'd be more concerned with finding a good match for rough play. My hounds play rough and wild and we've had some minor injuries over the years from it. Huskies are really high energy endurance dogs. I'm surprised they don't want an equally high energy dog as a playmate. I know that my life would be much crazier if my high energy hounds didn't have each other to play with.

I actually agree with that. Jack's brother lives with an older (well, she is 5 ;) ) husky and it goes really well, whereas I have been on a home visit where Charlie hid between my legs and cried while the huskies played and tumbled around. So it depends :)

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love