Lost Toenail

phall

My boy, Lucas, has lost the complete toenail off of one of his back toes. (I heard him cry out when he was out in the yard and assume he caught it on something). The whole toenail is gone and just the red "flesh" of the quick that is under the nail is there. It looks clean and he's walking on it without limping - will the nail grow back? If so, I expect it will take a long time. Anyone had any experience with this?

Must be going around :) Conner was doing zoomies in the backyard yesterday and broke a nail on his back foot. There is a bit of the nail left, but most broke off. I cleaned it and sprayed some antibiotic on it. It doesn't seem to be bothering him, so I guess I'll just keep an eye on it. I have dealt with several broken dew claws, but this is the first "real" claw.

Kasey broke the same one twice by torquing it during zoomie runs. If it's stopped bleeding, and he's not favouring his foot that's good. Stopping the bleeding and preventing it from bleeding again can be tough. Krazy Glue actually was put on by the vet the first time it happened, stops it from bleeding and keeps dirt out. Keep it clean, the regrowth is super super slow. File off sharp edges with a nail file as it grows, just be gentle. Keep him off his feet if you can for the next bit. I have soaked the paw in the past in epsom salts once a day or so, because the whole toe can smart quite a bit for a few days, and I find it helps soothe it, as well as clean out any dirt from outside.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

felix's popped off last winter.

i think it was the way he hit the frozen ground. it bled like a stuck pig, but quick stop came to the rescue. it took months to grow back in, now he has a tiny curly nail (outer rear toe) which i dremmel very short.

when i posted the same question there were quite a few similar responses, it seems not so out of the ordinary.

Yes, they grow back. Deuce will lose the same back toenail about once a year. I keep a boot on that foot for about a week or so after she loses it.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Most do grow back, but it will likely be malformed in some way. Though my girl lost one and it's never come back. There's not even a root there to see when you xray, so that nail is just gone. Weird.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly