Immobility And Vet Visits

tra708

I was wondering what you guys do about vet visits when you have a weak, wobbly senior grey. As they age, more health problems tend to occur, which means more trips to the vet. When I take Lola to the vet, it really takes its toll on her. The car ride, the stress, not being able to stand very long...you know what I mean. I bring a bed with us, but the whole experience is very taxing for her. Sometimes I think I should just keep her at home until she's no longer comfortable, at which point I can decide what is necessary for her. What do you do?

Right now, to continue a topic from last week, the update is that she's doing better and is closer to her old self. :)

thanks!

2rqyqhd.jpg

Have you asked your vet if they'll do a home visit? Or, if there are any transport services available? We have a service here that is service by Vet Techs that have a "pet ambulance" which set up with oxygen and equipment to transport pets from home to the vet; or from the vet to another location for more critical care. But they also do things like come just for dressing changes or to help with care after surgery; or if a problem arises and you can't manage to get your animal into your vehicle. It's pretty awesome alternative to having to put more stress on a sick or injured pet.

I will check these things out. On our trip home from the vet last week, Lola managed to get herself wedged between the back of the driver's seat, and the folded-down back seat. It took the 2 of us, plus a neighbor, to get her out. That was not good. And, I almost crashed the car while trying to make sure she was okay. I had put both of us

in danger and felt terrible about it.

2rqyqhd.jpg

if possible, try bringing a friend with you to the vet ... someone who could drive your car while you sat in back with Lola. And yes, with my seniors, I try to reduce their trips by consolidating (logical) appointments where possible. i never stack up innoculations, though! My greyhound savvy (and least expensive) vet is an hour away, so I've been lucky to have good friends who live near the vet's office and we add a playdate before/after our visits (it reduces the overall stress and we get a 'reward' for the stress).

good luck! and perhaps a gratuitous picture of Lola is warranted on this thread (hint hint)?

What a darling she is! Again, check out with your vets whether they can do home visits and whether there is a local 'animal taxi' service. I used both when Doc became old and wobbly. I don't have a car and was actually surprised how inexpensive both proved to be here in London. The home visit charge was £30 I think, the taxi around £25. That was a converted van with a driver who helped me get Doc in and out and waited at the vet's to drive us home. Worth every penny for the weight it took off my mind, and for making it easier to relax and focus on Doc's health needs when talking to the vet.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I had the same consideration when I had to take Lou to the vet. Many times I canceled because he was having a bad day. My vet was very understanding. When we were able to visit we waited in the car until they called us. I also took a small bed with me. My vet would get on the floor to exam Lou.

I would look into a mobile full service vet in your area.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad she's better. What is beautiful Lola's age?

Not sure about her ease of transfer in/out of car. We have this ramp that has horizontal ridges that greatly help our geriatric hounds grip the ramp's surface.

PetSTEP ramp: https://www.amazon.com/PetSTEP-Folding-Pet-Ramp-Khaki/dp/B00006OALW(Initial practice sessions with ramp on flat surface first.)

Our eldest teens were veterinarian authorized to stop vaccinations (due to terminal medical conditions + protected environment). Yes. physical exams become more important as they age into their teens -- annually at minimum, every 6 months is highly encouraged. Agree that mobile vets are great for this care. In a pinch, our regular vet has done exams on our hounds in back of the car, or hospital parking lot, but it's more challenging for vet to reach/exam hound in car, and less time efficient (retrieving items). Exam room allows for more thorough care.

Not sure of your car type or it's set-up for hounds. We've filled open floor gaps between seats and hounds' cargo space with even level strong plastic storage box containers, or strong cardboard boxes filled with books. Comforters shoved in to fill gaps help prevent a leg getting caught. There are pet-friendly contraptions on market that hang across that space for sedans, but might be difficult for dogs in a moving vehicle(?). The back 2/3 of our SUV is flat with tightly fitted wall-to-wall dense foam mats, so hounds can grip and balance well if standing.

I keep a list of all our area mobile vets + their work days/hours on the refrigerator. A priceless time saver! :)