Paw Pad Issue - Any Suggestions?

Hello Greyhound experts!

My 10 year old Grey, Rudy has been dealing with a paw pad issue for quite some time now - it first started out as what looked like a small puncture wound on his left rear paw, but now he has this circular mark/wound surrounded by a larger black circular mark. We believe it's possible he either injured it when tripping up our outside building steps and scraping it, or possibly stepping in glass (we live in a city, which unfortunately means occasional glass on sidewalks). Oddly enough, it seems to periodically get better and then worse again. We've done pain meds (Rimadyl) and a course of antibiotics, and he does not show a noticeable limp on the pain meds but he resorts to limping when we try to reduce them. Of course, I'd much rather solve the issue than treat with pain meds, but it's been a frustrating "trial and error" process.

He does not have a history of corns. Our vet initially speculated that it's possibly a wart, or a foreign object inside. He checked for other sources of pain (back, shoulder) and came up clean. The vet has scraped away at the wound, but hasn't found any foreign objects. We've tried soaking it in warm water and using bag balm, but the problem seems to carry on once he's off the pain meds. The wound is tender to the touch and he pulls away if pressure is put on it.

Looking for any suggestions on what this might be (I'll post a picture) or what next steps we should take in trying to solve the mystery. It's entirely possible this is a corn, we just have no experience with them. Thanks in advance!

JnVNd5s.jpg

Edited by Brondon530

Foreign objects can take months to reveal.

Soak, soak, soak.

A therapy with boot might ease the discomfort.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Thanks for the reply, BatterseaBrindl!

As for soaking, what do you suggest? We've been wrapping his foot in a warm washcloth, but I've seen epsom salt as a frequent suggestion on here. Also, any "boot" companies that work well for Greyhounds?

Thank you thank you!

One big tip off for corns is that the dog walks better on softer surfaces than on cement or hard floors. The texture of a corn is also much more like a callous or a wart so you can usually see a "halo" around any central divot.

Corns can be caused by deep toe tendon flaws, by an incorrect or altered gait, or by a virus (like a human wart). Unfortunately it's difficult to figure out which kind your dog has.

There is a very knowledgeable Facebook group called "Greyhounds with corns" that you can join. The page also has tons of suggestions - it's very dense, so take some time to read through the information and threads.

Yes, adding epsom salts to your soaking regimen can help draw out any foreign body which might be present. You can do the soaking the same way you're doing now. After soaking, rub on the most moisturizing cream you can find. Suggestions include: Burt's Bees Hand Salve, various "working" hand creams, creams for hard foot callouses, Bag Balm. Anything that is ultra moisturizing. Rub it on the affected foot and then cover with a baby sock for at least 15 minutes so your dog doesn't lick off the cream.

Therapaw Boots are the gold standard for greyhounds with corns. Make sure you follow the measuring directions exactly, and if there doesn't seem to be a good size for your dog, call them and they can customize a boot for you.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

One big tip off for corns is that the dog walks better on softer surfaces than on cement or hard floors. The texture of a corn is also much more like a callous or a wart so you can usually see a "halo" around any central divot.

Corns can be caused by deep toe tendon flaws, by an incorrect or altered gait, or by a virus (like a human wart). Unfortunately it's difficult to figure out which kind your dog has.

There is a very knowledgeable Facebook group called "Greyhounds with corns" that you can join. The page also has tons of suggestions - it's very dense, so take some time to read through the information and threads.

Yes, adding epsom salts to your soaking regimen can help draw out any foreign body which might be present. You can do the soaking the same way you're doing now. After soaking, rub on the most moisturizing cream you can find. Suggestions include: Burt's Bees Hand Salve, various "working" hand creams, creams for hard foot callouses, Bag Balm. Anything that is ultra moisturizing. Rub it on the affected foot and then cover with a baby sock for at least 15 minutes so your dog doesn't lick off the cream.

Therapaw Boots are the gold standard for greyhounds with corns. Make sure you follow the measuring directions exactly, and if there doesn't seem to be a good size for your dog, call them and they can customize a boot for you.

Thank you for the wealth of information, greysmom!

What you said about a deep toe tendon flaw got me thinking - he did stub his toe a couple months ago on the steps outside and ever since then has been walking with that toe slightly raised in the air/seems to have trouble balancing on that foot when he urinates. He didn't seem to ever be in pain from it, but he's a very stoic Grey. Could something like that create an issue with his paw pad? If so, would it be a corn or something entirely different (perhaps just irritation of the pad)?

We dropped back in to the vet this morning and he said next steps would likely be anesthesia + xray, to see if any foreign objects are in there. He said he's feeling less confident that it's a wart/corn, based on how it looks and the progression it has taken over the past couple months. Of course, anesthesia with an older dog makes me nervous (even though he's very healthy) so we're going to further discuss our options/wondering if an ultrasound is an option.

Thanks again for your help!

Edited by Brondon530

You shouldn't need anesthesia for a simple x-ray. Most greyhounds will lay quietly for an image or two. My girl yesterday just relaxed on the table while the vet dug a sliver out! FYI, an x-ray will only show glass or metal, not something like wood or other organic matter.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I 3rd or 4th the TheraPaw bootie. Larry has corns, now on ALL 4 feet :( and he couldn't go for a walk if he didn't have them. It could be a corn, hard to tell - but the boot is worth the $34 or whatever it costs with shipping :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I would radiograph that foot--you don't need to sedate for that-that's ridiculous.

You shouldn't need anesthesia for a simple x-ray. Most greyhounds will lay quietly for an image or two. My girl yesterday just relaxed on the table while the vet dug a sliver out! FYI, an x-ray will only show glass or metal, not something like wood or other organic matter.

Thanks tbhounds and greysmom!!

It looks like I misunderstood the vet - he meant have x-rays done (which we did tonight, no sedation) and, if they locate a foreign object, he would be anesthetized during the procedure to remove it. We should know within 24 hours if he's found a foreign object in there. The thought of putting a 10 year old under still makes me nervous and I think I'd prefer to have him sedated instead for the procedure, but the vet feels confident about anesthesia based on his good health. We will discuss it with him more... Fingers crossed we solve the problem soon. Thanks again!

To soak, grab a tall container, a big yogurt one for example, and mix some warm water and a fist full of epsom salts. Have dog stand as comfortably as possible in the tub for about 5 mins. If he can handle more, great. Offer treats and a diversion. :) Keep towels close by in case he changes his mind. When done, remove paw from tub and just dry off the fur and the paw enough so its not dripping and have him lay down and not let him disturb the paw until it dries on its own. Frequent soaks help to alleviate pain from corns and help get foreign objects to the surface.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015