Conner Has The Runs

All things being equal I would start by giving him some Slippery Elm, 2 capsules initially, 1 six hrs later and see how he responds.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Awh, the runs are really no fun for anyone. Fasting yes. If it persists when you start a bland diet you could try adding some fibre powder (I use Benefibre) to get it back up quickly, although it is a bandaid solution obviously. I have also treated the big D with dosing colloidal silver in intervals - dose with a teaspoon of colloidal silver every 10-15 minutes while symptoms are occurring. As you see them improve, you can cut back to once every half hour then once an hour. Slippery Elm will help with any inflammation. :) Skritches

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

When Rocket's stress colitis kicks in I use Evanger's Organic Cooked Chicken mixed with mushy rice or pasta instead of cooking chicken. The consistency is great for a bland diet. They also have a Chicken and Rice (non-organic) that I have used. There is only a little bit of guar gum (preservative) and water as the other ingredients. He has never turned down this food even when he will eat nothing else. I keep a case here all the time just for tummy issues.

If he can't have chicken, they also have a beef food in cans - it's just beef and can be used for cats or dogs since there are no other additives. And it's kosher if Conner requires it. :bgeorge

Hope our boy is feeling better soon. He and Val need to come and visit.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

a visit to the old fashioned vet was in line for poor felix when he was up pooping all night long. that just isn't like him. i thought it could have been pancreatitis since it smelled so bad. but felix's pancreas was fine, he needed to have his gut cleaned up. and sure enough, the other dog picked up what ever he picked up. flagyl can take 3 or 4 rounds to do the trick.:500mg, 2x daily for 7 days.

why fast an animal when modern meds may do the trick? but a bland diet of rice and either boiled chicken(white meat) or chop meat should be served until the gut settles down. i boil either in the microwave in a vat of water for 5-7 mins. no need to heat up the kitchen. if a dog feels miserable the just won't eat.

How is Connor this morning?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

He ate last night and this morning, a mix of oatmeal, chicken, and pumpkin purée. I also gave him an anti diarrhea capsule, kaolin and pectin, one last night and one this morning. He isn't going out as often, but the "output" is still watery. I think he does feel a little better. Oh yeah, I also gave him the slippery elm yesterday, probably why he started eating.

This doesn't seem to be resolving on its own, so I know he needs to see the vet. I don't want to take him to the e-vet unless it gets worse, so I am hoping he can hold on over the weekend. Poor boy :(

Dr. Rocket prescribes ice cream. Of course, he ALWAYS prescribes ice cream. :bgeorge

Hope Conner is feeling better soon.

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

have you offered plain old graham crackers or nilla wafers or animal crackers? i had one really sick dog, pre-parvo vaccine, with Parvo. One of the very few things that i was told to offer him aside from white rice was plain cookies to get some carbs in. and yes, he did eat some, but that was one sick puppy. it's possible that i respond differently to diahirriea(sp??) is because i saved my dog's life by calling quickly, bringing him in and YES it was PARVO.

do you or any friends have a can of HILLS ID diet? that's pretty bland and the dogs seem to love the stuff.

Poor guy. If you have any Tylan powder (in capsules) you could try that. :goodluck

Poor guy. If you have any Tylan powder (in capsules) you could try that. :goodluck

We have Tylan and capsules if you need them.

Conner is doing much better today. He slept through the night last night without having to go out, and had a better poo on our walk. Not good, but not watery! Rocket has generously shared some of his Tylan capsules, so I think we are well on our way back to normal. However, this is the third or fourth time this has happened in the year and a half I've had him, so I think I had better keep,some Tylan or metrozonidal (sp?) on hand.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Very glad to hear this encouraging update on Connor! Thank you!

Yay Conner! Hope you feel good enough to come and visit soon!