Bongo

Guest Hattiemae

Guest Hattiemae

Bongo was a foster of mine just a year ago. He managed to fool the cat-testers at the track into thinking he was cat safe, which is why he ended up at my house. He turned out not to be cat safe or even cat workable, so we had to put a screen door up in the middle of our house to keep everyone safe and separate.

In spite of that incovenience, Bongo quickly wormed his way into my heart. He was a counter surfer extraordinaire and would make a toy out of anything, including an entire cantaloupe, a full water bowl, squash snitched from the countertop, or a wet mop. He was also outgoing, believing that everyone he met was put on earth simply to pay attention to him.

I was thrilled when he was adopted by a local man so I could stay in close contact with him. In addition to staying close to Bongo, I became good friends with his dad. His dad came to as many of our group's events as possible, bringing his irrepressible boy with him. Bongo charmed people wherever he went with his good looks, his self-confidence, and his shameless demands for attention. I like to think that Bongo remembered his time with me fondly because I always got a special greeting from him. Of course, it helped that I usually had his favorite peanut butter treats with me.

Bongo became ill and spent a few weeks battling various symptoms - cough, fever, lethargy, lack of appetite, and lameness. Lab tests, including tick titers, showed nothing out of the ordinary. One night he lost a lot of blood and was rushed to the vet's office, where he spent the next several days on IV fluids. After more inconclusive or negative tests, a tentative diagnosis of lupus was made. Unfortunately he was too weak to recover his strength, and he crossed the Bridge on August 25 without anyone ever knowing just what his illness was. He was just 3 years old and had not been in his home for a full year yet. :(

His dad is devasted, as I am. :brokenheart His dad doesn't visit here so, as Bongo's former foster mom, I'm taking the liberty of telling his story.

:ghplaybow This is how I'll remember him - with a playful attitude and a helicopter tail.

Run free, sweet Bongo. :gh_run

I'm so sorry. Bongo sounds like he had a one-in-a-million personality. Can't imagine how much his dad is hurting right now. Hugs to him and to you.

Godspeed, Bongo.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm crying just reading this...at least he knew love from you and his father before he went to the bridge. Run free sweet Bongo.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest jananice

Stacey....I was so upset to read of Bongo's passing on Tea Time. He was such a silly boy, and I loved to read your stories of his antics (especially the one with the melon!!). My condolonces to both you and Bongo's dad. Even though I never met him, I will miss hearing about this boy who was so full of life.

Night night Bongo.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I used to love reading about Bongo and his wonderful, sweet ways and your great affection for him.

I'm just heartbroken about his sad passing.

Please let Bongo's dad know that his special boy touched the hearts of many, who never even met him. :(

paula_sig.gif

~One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all ~

Guest moon880

Oh no, I'm so sorry, Stacey. I know you loved this boy and must be devastated by his passing. :( My thoughts are with you and his adoptive family.

He touched many lives, and will be sadly missed. :(

Godspeed, sweet Bongo.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Oh I am so sorry. I also remember all the stories about Bongo. Run free sweet boy. My sympathy to you and his family. :f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

So sorry to hear about Bongo. I remember his escapades and extend sympathies for both you and his Dad.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GreytGuy

Hi! This is my first ever post, so please be nice. I'm Bongo's dad. I lost by brindle boy almost 3 weeks ago. His foster mom - Hattiemae - gave a much better eulogy than I could ever give. And the kind words and support from people I've never met has meant so much to me.

Bongo, what a name! It kinds of fits him. He was quite unforgettable, with his assertive nature, craving to be the center of attention at meet and greets, his counter surfing, and of course the helicopter tail! When I first got him, I crated him for about 2 weeks while I was at work. He hated it! Once I learned to trust him, or at least know he would be fine outside of the crate, he had the run of the house. Even with all that room, I quickly learned that he loved the couch and comfy chair the most. He hated it when company came over, only because his chair was occupied! Even though he was in my life for about 50 weeks, he created so many good memories. I especially miss his self-confidence and that look he'd give me when he heard what I was saying and was going to do what he wanted anyways. I also miss our Wednesday pizza nights. I bet he does too, because that was the only time he got people food, unless he stole a hot dog or brat or loaf of bread or fruit from the counter.

The other good thing about Bongo is all the good friends that I have met, especially his foster mom, who has been a great source of knowledge and a good soul who has lots of love for greyhounds. I was also touched by the countless messages from people i have never met. Thank-you!!! Give your greys and other pets an extra hug tonight!

Sean

Bongo really was a special fellow, wasn't he? With a very special dad. Your eulogy -- reading it brings tears to my eyes and a smile to my face at the same time. May your memories of him always warm your heart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SylphPup

I'm so sorry for your loss. Bongo sounds like he brought happiness wherever he went, like a breath of fresh air.

You and Bongo enjoyed each other's company for too-short a time, but each created love and memories that will last forever.

Run free, Bongo.