Dilated Cardiomyopathy And Lack Of Appetite

I don't think we have long left with Chase if he won't eat. He's interested in everything but won't eat. Has anyone had luck with any sort of anti nausea drug, appetite stimulant or anything else? I don't need food suggestions, just medical solutions to getting him eating again. Thanks.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

There are appetite stimulants that are effective. Talk to your vet.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Haven't used mirtazapine (beachbum1's link) personally but it has been helpful for others I know. We have mostly gotten by with pepcid (doesn't interact with many other meds) and low-dose prednisone. One thing to note, you may have already figured -- when they've been nauseous, sometimes unfamiliar foods work better than familiar ones. Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I was going to ask the vet about Cerenia. I'll ask her about Mirtazapine too, thanks. Haven't tried anything yet. He was just diagnosed on Saturday. Thanks for the suggestions.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Fussy Kasey would eat with FortiFlora sprinkled on his food. Also changing up his food often kept him interested. Satin balls one meal, pasta and broth the next, lentils, super high carb foods, even high caloric Royal Canin for sensitive stomach. He also had pepcid regularly which helped. Cheeseburger, fries. The problem with getting all this food into him however lead to not so good coming out. So if Chase hasn't had different foods before, beware. Fortiflora really might be worth a shot though since it tries to re-establish a healthy system, and there is something that smells divine in there to entice dogs to eat whatever its sprinkled on. We did one packet a meal, but one a day is apparently the dose. Sorry about the food suggestions but sprinking that on anything might do wonders.

Miraztapine didn't work. I only tried Cerenia to calm Ryder but it really knocked him on his keester.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

He's been getting Pepcid. It's helped but I can't get anything near a full meal in him.

How about some ginger snaps until you can get an RX? They think they are getting a treat, but it may help calm the nausea enough to help him eat a little.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

How about some ginger snaps until you can get an RX? They think they are getting a treat, but it may help calm the nausea enough to help him eat a little.

No, he won't eat that. He looks interested in almost everything, looks longingly while the other dogs are eating. He needs something medicinal, but not sure what, to make it possible for him to eat.

Edited by Tracey

Sounds like Terrier Daisy. She has CHF and it's a struggle getting her to eat most days. She missed all four meals over the weekend (and harassed me all day every day because she was so hungry but couldn't bring herself to eat anything) and this morning and finally ate her evening meal this afternoon. I gave her a chunk of hamburger as an appetizer and that seemed to spur things on. If you're hesitant to switch up his food every day (I would be too, especially if he's prone to having a sensitive tummy), have you tried adding in tasty things? An all canned food diet? Good luck!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

He's interested in everything but won't eat. I'm so sorry Tracey. We have used both Mirtazapine and Cerenia with mixed results. Have you tried offering some Ensure? I keep vanilla on hand but have used strawberry in a pinch. Good thoughts for Chase and his peeps.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Have you tried Slippery Elm? I forgot to mention that. The only issue with that is it coats the stomach (as it should) but by doing so it restricts medicine from getting absorbed. So if you have to give pills, space it out after giving slippery elm (which I give with feeding). I've had good luck with that during bouts of D, etc.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015