Afraid Of Children

Guest Tuffersmom

Guest Tuffersmom

Our male grey baby almost 6 years old is afraid of kids....we have had him 4 years and he has always been this way.....if we go anywhere where kids are he freaks out and turns and runs the opposite way....now with grandchildren we would like to be able to have him around them.....any other grey owners have this problem and how do you handle it?Thanks in advance

I haven't had this situation but I would say to have the kids approach him slowly while throwing high-value treats. Pretty soon he will associate the kids with treats. If he is too scared to eat the treats you may have to back off a little until he's more comfortable.

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Kili dislikes children. I usually handle it by just avoiding children. Putting a dog that is fearful of children in a situation where they have to deal with children is potentially asking for trouble. If I'm asking Kili to interact with children I make sure I have lots of her favourite goodies shoved in her face, control of her head just in case, and then I police the children even more than I'm policing her. That means making sure they don't crowd her, grab or poke at her, scream, run, chase her, etc. I line them up in a straight line (not curved around her), I give them a treat for her, and show them how to pat her under her chin instead of reaching over top of her head. I tell them to keep quiet, and that if she doesn't want to be patted anymore she'll walk away and they have to let her. Having my other dog, Summit, is also helpful. Once they've petted Kili a bit I will nudge them over to Summit to pet to their hearts' content while Kili gets a break.

Constant supervision is a must for interactions with any child and ANY dog (no matter how much they may seem to love children). And not every dog is going to be safe around kids. If a dog is really afraid of kids (as opposed to how Kili is which is curious but wary) it's best not to put them in a situation with children. Scared dogs bite, and kids are face level with a big dog.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Have the children sit quietly on a sofa reading a book or some other quiet activity (ignore the dog) and see if the dog at least attempts to step a few feet closer to the children. If the dog starts to get curious, lay a few treats a few feet from the children in a path leading back to the children and see if the dog follows and gets closer to the children. Do not have the children call or try and pat the dog until the dog is not fearful getting close to the children. You'll have to continue this for a few weeks before the dog gets used to being close to the children. Patience is the key ...

I would not have the children approach the dog or throw anything at the dog.

Guest Tuffersmom

thank you for the suggestions.....as the grandchildren are babies still I'm hoping that we can get him to not be so fearful of them as they get older but even if he hears kids or babies on tv he will try to hide.....do you think if I hold the babies his curiosity would get him to see what mommy has?

Our big male grey Ambi was our foster before we adopted him. He was scared of kids at the M&G's that we took him too in order for him to be adopted out. In the end, we figured WE were the best family for him, having no small kids around. He still does not like it when the neighbor lady's (noisy) grandkids come over. We have no good answers for you from our experiences. What Mary Jane suggested seems a good approach.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

ManyJane's suggestions are good. See if the children can ignore him until he approaches them.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Yep, I'd do as Mary Jane suggests. We have done similar and it gets results if the children (or adults :lol ) can be patient and help you play the game :) .

I have also spent some time letting a fearful dog hang out -- at a distance the dog deems safe enough -- and watch children playing etc. while we two have a quiet conversation, share some treats, maybe circle around and come back (but not too close!).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

A great book

"Childproofing Your Dog" by Brian Kilcommons

http://smile.amazon.com/Childproofing-Your-Dog-Complete-Preparing-ebook/dp/B002WAUVBE?ie=UTF8&keywords=childproofing%20your%20dog&qid=1458695254&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1

Vigilante supervision is the key to all dog-child interactions. You must be aware of your dog's signals and know enough to take him out of the situation before he reaches his threshold.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Scouts_mom

When the kids become mobile, I wonder if it would help if you baby-gated him into a room where he can watch the kids, but they can't bother him (and maybe the kids can give him cookies thru the gate).

Be VERY careful. I had a dog that was terrified of children get cornered by one (my fault) and snapped and bit the child's hand. Not a bad bite at all - but any bite is a bad bite when a child is involved. I blame myself.

Definitely do your research. This may be workable for your dog. Or not. There are a "few" greys that really are NEVER OK with toddlers. My Sobe was one of them. His stress level was through the roof with toddles around, so when my brother's kids came to visit - we completely separated them. My brother said "Oh - my kids are GREAT with our dogs" - um, not with MY dog. So - I kept my dog away from them.

Try to work it out through research and training of the dog and the humans, but if you have ANY doubt - separate.

Allie loves kids that approach politely (or not at all; she is convinced that they really do want to meet her). She likes to check their faces for any leftover snacks.

However, running/screaming kids are a different story.

AMF All for One "Allie" (1/15/2010 - 3/25/22)

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper"