Recent New Behavior In Our Grey That We've Had For 5 Months

Guest Midwestgrey

Guest Midwestgrey

Hi All! After months of reading, researching and attending some Meet and Greets my husband and I adopted our first grey, a 7 year old female, in September, 5 months ago. After a few nights in our/her new home Tilly settled in quite nicely. She quickly became our Velcro dog; wanted to be wherever we were, inside or outside. She's been a good eater, no potty issues, has been around extended family members and friends who visit us in our home, has travelled in the car, and even attended two grey events in our community, all with great success. She loves her walks, is great on a leash and is really sweet to those we meet on our neighborhood walks. Suddenly, three weeks ago, this all changed. We first became concerned when she suddenly didn't want to eat, she was drinking, but had no interest in food. At one point she went and entire 2 days without eating anything. At this point I contacted the vet - a vet used and respected by many members of our rescue group - they graciously saw her the next day and I will share that information shortly. Our concern grew because Tilly now seemed to want nothing to do with us. She is distant. Before, when we came home from work she greeted us with howls, front paws down, wiggly booty and great excitement, that is no longer the case. She loved being with us, relaxing on her bed in the living room, in front of the fireplace, playing with her stuffed animals, flipping them about, that is no longer the case. She loved going out for a run in the backyard and then flying on to the deck for pets and praises from us, but that is no longer the case, Now, she is distant, She has chosen 1 bed; a bed of hers in our dining room, next to the sliding glass doors, and that's where she stays. She won't relax with us in the living room, she just hangs out in the dining room and seems so reserved - and sad. Sometimes she'll peek her head around the corner and just whine. I've tried to bring her into the living room but it just seems to stress her - she pants excessively, her nose drips and she paces constantly, We finally caved and let her just hang out in the dining room. It breaks my heart because I don't know how to comfort her. Now, when we let her out to potty, she won't come back, she tends to stay in the back of the yard, near the fence. We call her, she gets close, but as soon as we get close to her, she bolts. Some times we have to trick her to come inside. Funny thing - she's great with bedtime and happily follows us to her bed in our room for the night and sleeps peacefully. Finally, she has become so timid, everything seems to scare her, a broom that fell, a rustling garbage bag - she just bolts and then retreats. Please help us help her. I'm sad because I feel like she's sad and we're not providing her a forever happy home that she deserves, and we don't know what to do. Would she be better in a different home?

As for her vet visit? The vet did a complete lab work up and in her words - "her labs came back stellar". We are truly at a loss and we are looking to your expertise, We are so grateful that we found this forum and hope that some of you may be able to provide advice based on your experiences, We love our Tilly girl and just want the best for her. We look forward to hearing from you and we're thankful for this forum.

Thanks!

Someone who knows something about dog behavior will chime in soon, but for right now, is there anything you can think of of that changed in the house? In your routine? Are you using different air freshener? Change out an area rug? Get a new TV, hang a painting, buy a mirror? How is she in the car now? On walks? At the vet? If you have really-super-amazing-yummy-good treats in your hand, how does she react?

I only have questions. Sorry. Good luck!

It sounds like something happened 3 weeks ago that scared her and she is now in panic mode. Since she is alone while you are at work, maybe something occured that week .. maybe work outside, or contractors at the house. Maybe did someone get into your yard and scare her through the sliding doors - I'm thinking teenage boys? She may have also has some type of accident in the house - maybe slipped on the floor and banged into the wall. Does she have problems walking on the floor? Do you have rugs down? Something could have also fallen and hit her.

If you can, talk to your neighbors and get some better information on whether something happened that week.

Regardless of whether you ever find out what happened, you will need to regain her trust again and that will take weeks ... maybe months. Sit on the floor near the dining room door with a bunch of cut up chicken or beef and see if she will come to you to get a treat. Don't call her, just toss the treat out a bit from you and let her decide what she wants to do. Eventually, she should get closer and closer. Once she is taking treats next to you, move further from the dining room and see if she will follow for the treat.

Do not rush, have patience and let her come to trust you and her environment again.

You can also talk to the adoption group and have them come out and get their opinion.

Guest Midwestgrey

Thanks Greaholic, no nothing has changed. She still loves her treats, will take them from my hand, that's why her change in behavior is so concerning. Still loves her walks, she's just so distant and chooses to stay in her own space on her bed in the dining room. I actually just sat down next to her, petted and massaged her and she was receptive, but still she won't move from her bed, into another room/area until it's bed time and then she's happy to go.HELP!!!!

Time and patience.

First off, rule out *anything* medical. Sounds like that's been done. The one caveat I will say is to have your vet look again at her thyroid values, and possibly consider doing a full thyroid panel. Greyhound thyroid values are different, so if you're vet isn't familiar with them, there's plenty of information you can search out in the Health&Medical section here. Low thyroid can sometimes cause a dog to become timid or anxious, so it's something to check out.

Next is environmental. Again, you already have some good advice re detective work. You don't list where you're located, but weather can affect how a house reacts - strange creaks and groans, new furnace sounds and/or blowing from vents, ceiling fans are notorious for scaring dogs, too. Any new appliances? Do you leave the TV or a radio on for her when you leave? Has there been any evidence of separation anxiety when you come home like potty accidents or destructive chewing?

For the coming inside issue, make sure you praisepraisepraise her when she does get iinto the house. Make sure you have a yummy treat for her so she's knows she's done a very good thing. If you can't get her all the way to the door, start out several feet and call her to you - praisepraisepraise and treat.

Third is behavioral. It's not uncommon for greyhounds to transition through several different personalities during the first year (or more) of retiring. They can have one personality when they first come home, and then go through phases as they settle in and get comfortable. If there's nothing really wrong you'll just have to wait her out - back to time and patience.

Gently encourage her by doing the suggestions above, sitting in the same room and reading a magazine or doing some other quiet task is good. Throw her a really yummy treat every once in a while. Going on walks is a good bonding activity. If you have an active group you might see if they have play dates for hounds, or ask if there are some greyhound friends she can get together with in a safe environment.

She's also probably not sad. Greyhounds are very quiet, as a breed, and have quite subtle facial expressions. It's just as likely that she's feeling absolutely fine, and confident, and happy and is choosing to lay quietly in another part of the house. Not because she doesn't like you or her new home, but just because she chooses to. One of ours, that we've had since she was a puppy, will spend long hours of time upstairs in our bedroom away from the rest of us. She just prefers it up there, for whatever reason. When she wants attention, she comes and finds us. Or she will start yodelling an whining for us to go up and visit her!

Most of all, don't stress. If she's eating and staying hydrated, and her potty habits are all normal and good, then this will likely come around in time. Yes, something may have happened to cause her to become anxious, but if you can't figure it out, you'll have to deal with what's left. You didn't cause her to be this way, but you will be instrumental in helping her get through it.

Time and patience.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest VenusWasHerName

Time and patience.

First off, rule out *anything* medical. Sounds like that's been done. The one caveat I will say is to have your vet look again at her thyroid values, and possibly consider doing a full thyroid panel. Greyhound thyroid values are different, so if you're vet isn't familiar with them, there's plenty of information you can search out in the Health&Medical section here. Low thyroid can sometimes cause a dog to become timid or anxious, so it's something to check out.

Next is environmental. Again, you already have some good advice re detective work. You don't list where you're located, but weather can affect how a house reacts - strange creaks and groans, new furnace sounds and/or blowing from vents, ceiling fans are notorious for scaring dogs, too. Any new appliances? Do you leave the TV or a radio on for her when you leave? Has there been any evidence of separation anxiety when you come home like potty accidents or destructive chewing?

For the coming inside issue, make sure you praisepraisepraise her when she does get iinto the house. Make sure you have a yummy treat for her so she's knows she's done a very good thing. If you can't get her all the way to the door, start out several feet and call her to you - praisepraisepraise and treat.

Third is behavioral. It's not uncommon for greyhounds to transition through several different personalities during the first year (or more) of retiring. They can have one personality when they first come home, and then go through phases as they settle in and get comfortable. If there's nothing really wrong you'll just have to wait her out - back to time and patience.

Gently encourage her by doing the suggestions above, sitting in the same room and reading a magazine or doing some other quiet task is good. Throw her a really yummy treat every once in a while. Going on walks is a good bonding activity. If you have an active group you might see if they have play dates for hounds, or ask if there are some greyhound friends she can get together with in a safe environment.

She's also probably not sad. Greyhounds are very quiet, as a breed, and have quite subtle facial expressions. It's just as likely that she's feeling absolutely fine, and confident, and happy and is choosing to lay quietly in another part of the house. Not because she doesn't like you or her new home, but just because she chooses to. One of ours, that we've had since she was a puppy, will spend long hours of time upstairs in our bedroom away from the rest of us. She just prefers it up there, for whatever reason. When she wants attention, she comes and finds us. Or she will start yodelling an whining for us to go up and visit her!

Most of all, don't stress. If she's eating and staying hydrated, and her potty habits are all normal and good, then this will likely come around in time. Yes, something may have happened to cause her to become anxious, but if you can't figure it out, you'll have to deal with what's left. You didn't cause her to be this way, but you will be instrumental in helping her get through it.

Time and patience.

great post

All great advice so far. I'd just add that when she's exhibiting this anxious behavior, the best thing you can do is to ignore, ignore, ignore. It's natural to want to jump into overdrive to shower her with affection, but the more you do, the more "forced" it becomes. Something happened three weeks ago that scared her, so it's important to give her the time, patience, and space she needs. I know it's hard, but let her do things at her own pace. Ignore, don't make eye contact, and just coexist for awhile. Just remember, you can't hatch an egg with a blowtorch. :)

Guest xengab

Sounds to me like something happened when you were gone. Most noises people dont think about could just scare her. Set up a camera when you aren't at home, needs sound too. Then you can see/hear what went on in the day. See if anything is going on that could be the issue.

Four years ago we had our house broken into, we had two cats and we figured they were somewhat shaken but ok. Until one day we ordered pizza and the guy banged like he was the swat team on our door. Normally that didnt worry them, but this time they hid for HOURS. (these were cats we walked on leashes and were super confident). If we'd not know about the break in, that would have been a weird reaction leaving us puzzled.

SO, think about what things might go on in your area, ask neighbors and maybe something might come clear. buildings, trucks, fireworks etc

Guest Amber

Good advice given already. I can understand that a sudden change in behaviour like that is pretty upsetting, and maybe you will not get the bottom of it, but hopefully she will regain confidence in time.

It does sound as though 'something' upset her - maybe something that happened when she was alone inside the house. When you go out and leave her, which room is she normally left in? Does the living room that she seems anxious about being in face onto a busy road, or out towards the back yard? Do you have the feeling it is the house or household occurences/noises outside making her nervous, rather than adapting to living with people? As she seems OK out on walks, taking treats and going upstairs with you at bedtime, it sort of sounds like something that happened whilst she was in the living areas of the house upset her. My dog is very scared of fireworks and exhibited some of the same things last November, hiding upstairs in my bedroom and not wanting to hang out with me downstairs.

But all you can do is make sure there is no medical cause and work with what you have now; so the main thing is to reinforce (ie give attention to) only the behaviour that you like and want to see. If her being aloof is not what you want, then try not to force contact or give attention when she is being distant, but if/when she does show glimmers of her old self, such as happy to take treats or go up to her bedroom, you can quietly give her praise and attention to encourage her more sociable behaviour, if that makes sense?

You could maybe also try ADAPTIL a plug-in diffuser that gives off a pheromone that is meant to reassure anxious dogs and place it in your living area and perhaps Bach's flower 'rescue remedy' or a mild over the counter anti-anxiety tablet for dogs. see if that makes any difference.

Edited by Amber

Guest Midwestgrey

Hi All,

I just composed a long post about Tilly, it's encouraging but my computer had a hick up. You are all amazing, gave us great insight and I will re-draft my post and send tomorrow,

Thanks for understanding.

Mary

Last summer my greyhound Phoebe got completely terrified by the ring tone on my granddaughter's cell phone. It was a short, nothing loud or weird sound but for some reason Phoebe was completely spooked. She wanted outside and hid in a hole In the flower bed or by the fence and would not come back in. We finally got her back in but she was very nervous. Ring tone again and same complete panic reaction. Immediately my g-daughter changed her ring tone and that was the last of it. Phoebe has heard many ring tones over the last few years and never reacted to them. Why this one is still a puzzle to us but I know if no one had been here when it happened we would have been at a loss to know what caused her behavior. Phoebe is not a fearful dog and I have no idea why this bothered her so much.