I/d Diet Question

I've been having some issues with Calvin's tummy, so the vet recommended he go on the hills prescription i/d diet for a while to stabilize things. It has worked, thank goodness, but I'm finding Calvin is often still hungry. I'm following the recommendations on the bag for a 70lb dog and giving him 4 to 4.5 cups per day but I'm wondering if the bag is accurate. I know they often aren't for greyhounds. Has anyone had their dog on the i/d kibble who can let me know how much they were feeding? I would love to increase the food a bit, but i don't want him to get overweight either. Thoughts?

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

We're trying to get some weight off of our iggy. Our vet had us reduce his kibble from 1/2 to a 1/3 cup. Since he's prone to poop eating she had us top his bowl off with green beans. He's less hungry now.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Rocket gets a hlf can of green beans in place of a cup of kibble each day. His weight has remained the exact same since making that change. If he ever gains a few lbs., we increase the green beans and decrease the kibble for a bit so he isn't hungry.

I'm pretty sure that the ID food isn't very calorie intense, so giving him something to top it should be fine. Rocket likes green beans, scrambled eggs, or some lowfat cottage cheese with his kibble. The lowfat cottage cheese is always a huge hit with hounds that stay with us and an easy addition to the meal. We buy a 3 or 5 lb tub at Sam's on a regualr basis.

Any of those things will help him feel fuller.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Several years ago DaVid's weight had gone from 74 lbs. to 84 lbs. I cut his food from 4 cups a day to 3 cups a day (we were on ID) and gave him about 1/2 can of RINCED green beans. Salt is really bad on canned green beans. He dropped back to 74 lbs (racing weight) and has held it about 3 1/2 cans a day (I feed twice a day). I give no treats. I make a big deal about cookies!!!! and hand them a piece of kibble. They think they are really getting a wonderful cookie!!!!

I've done the green bean trick before....but....I'm trying to isolate his food right now, to get the D under control, and to see if he may have any sensitivities. I'm thinking using add-ons in this situation will defeat that purpose?

That was exactly my thought.

I have no problem with corn and grains in moderation as some others do, but i/d is almost all something-other-than-meat. First ingredients are whole grain corn, chicken meal, brewers rice, egg product, corn gluten meal, whole grain sorghum, pork fat, chicken liver flavor, and of course my favorite Hill's ingredient - powdered cellulose. :rolleyes:

...but if it's working I'd be prone to add a bit more more than mixing stuff in.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Is there a calorie count on the bag?? Compare it to the calories per cup in your old food to see if there is a difference and adjust from there. 4+ cups sounds like enough to me, but if it is less calorie dense and a lot lower in protein, your pup may feel hungry.

Or...maybe pick up some of the canned and add that in.

Edited by RedHead

the id diet has fewer calories, 358 per cup, than many kibbles. check your past kibble and compare. if he's not loosing weight than stick with it. if he suddenly drops, you can either add carbs or increase the food. the ID diet cost a fortune!!!

felix is on a senior food, which has the same fat/protein content as the id diet and is affordable. but...he needs the calories to maintain his 74#s(it's only 300c per cup). i've been supplementing w/ rice/potato/pasta and oatmeal and the dog is famished and not maintaining his weight. he is currently up to 6 cups from 3.5-4 cups per day and lots of carbs. his food was modified due to pancreatitis. i'm trying to figure this out since i can not buy the ID food. his gut seems fine now- no more cramping, loose stool, stinky stool- i just need to stabilize his weight.

best thing is to bring your pup in for weekly weigh ins at the vet, hold him on the scale and do the math or petsmart. just be consistent and use the same scale.

Two female greys @ 59 pounds have maintained on 3 cups or so, plus treats etc.

I/D has been an absolutely amazing miracle food in my experience. Not only did my Beth never have another problem after lots of dietary issues and near-pancreatitis, she had the most amazing coats (and perfect weight, muscle, energy), now Cocoa has also recovered from pancreatitis and is also in a little over a month showing an incredible transformation of her formerly thin, patchy coat. Both were on grain free before that. If you read reviews from people who actually use I/D they are glowing, and others notice the coat effects as well. I was skeptical but now I truly think this is fabulous stuff.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad