Iams Green Bag Changes

Does anyone know if the formula for the Iams large breed green bag (mini chunks~she doesn't have all her teeth) has changed? I know they were bought by Mars Co. but I don't know more than that. Phoebe isn't doing as well on it even after changing to a new bag to be sure of freshness. Might be changing her something else~any opinions on brand? Vet mentioned Natural Choice and Eucanuba. Any experience with either of those?

Thanks again to all for any input. I have gone to you many times and so appreciate your help.

Gosh I hope not. I open a new bag every two weeks and so far we've not had any issues. I'm sorry Phoebe isn't doing well on it, could she just have a temporary bug? Switching foods is always such a challenge. :(

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I just started transitioning Sweep from Iams to Fromm's Classic Adult, which includes the beet pulp that Iams green bag is known for around here. It's comparable in price but a little harder to find; I have to go to the specialty store (or it can be ordered from Chewy.com). I like that it's a family-owned company and there have never been any recalls. It's early days yet, but so far so good--and Sweep seems to love the taste.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

It is typical for them to vary the formulations, especially after ownership changes. I have heard of other folks have similar issues.

I just started transitioning Sweep from Iams to Fromm's Classic Adult, which includes the beet pulp that Iams green bag is known for around here. It's comparable in price but a little harder to find; I have to go to the specialty store (or it can be ordered from Chewy.com). I like that it's a family-owned company and there have never been any recalls. It's early days yet, but so far so good--and Sweep seems to love the taste.

I like Fromm's to for the same reasons you do. Been around 2 years I have supplemented with it and the dogs like it and no issues. Have used many of their varieties-the Holistic Gold, the a la series, the classic-they like it all.

Edited by racindog

We always had good luck with Nutro Natural Choice for our sensitive stomach girl - it was the only thing that agreed with her. Our boy ate Pro Plan and was fine with it.

If you end up needing beet pulp because the new food doesn't include it, it's apparently rather affordable at farm supply stores.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

I didn't have issues with Iams Green Bag, but last summer Annie stopped liking it, or so I assumed because she ate it apparenly under protest at supper time, having skipped breakfast, because she was hungry. I switched to Diamond Naturals, Whitefish and Sweet Potato flavor. She loves it and has good poos.

Hi Joy,

We are back with the Iam's and have not had a problem. I hope I am not jinxing myself. In fact, we were in Costco today, and they had $10 off of the 50 lb bag, so we bought another at the bargain price. I have been mixing it with Diamond Professional from Concord pets.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I too have had issues with the green bag. It only affected one of my 3 houndies. She has major diarrhea while on it. I switched to the red bag and all is well in our world. I even called IAMS to find out if they had changed the formula and they said they hadn't. I can't believe that I did that but my hounds are my family too!

• 3 weeks later...

My boy stopped eating it a week or so ago. I switched him back to Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison, which he loves, but now has large poops again. Also don't like the price of the NB. :-)

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

I generally don't feed Iams, but one of my pups started having bad gas on TOTW and I learned they changed the formula. I tried something else and his gas got exponentially worse. So I got a bag of Iams for him to eat (which helped the gas) while the other two finished the other food, and then I tried Zignature limited ingredient food (it does have beet pulp, as well as no potato in it), and so far, so good. I feel more comfortable with the ingredients in Zignature than Iams and it's looking like he was possibly sensitive to the potato in the other foods.

• 1 month later...
Guest Loves4Greyz

10 year Murphy turned up his nose somewhat when I first started the 4 pups on Iams Green Bag. I did mix it slowly with the old food when I introduced it. Over a period of about 3 months he lost about 11 pounds and refused to go near the Iams or eat anything. After many tests he was found to have ulcers in both his stomach and intestines. Was it the food? I don't know but will not give any more to him. The other pups didn't have any problems

It may have been the food causing the ulcers. I think what you need to do is feed a recovery diet for a while (say 4 days). Royal Canin Veterinary Gastro-Intestinal cans worked for Peggy. It is of course expensive, but then so are avoidable vet visits. Peggy has been successfully on a mix of Canagan (like Acana) and Barking Heads 'Golden Years' (like a mid-range chicken kibble) plus a small amount of real lamb and rice without additives to top it off. You may need to give Ranitidine twice a day for while, and maybe even Buscopan if there are spasms. A probiotic Kaloin syringe can help too.