New Grouchy Behavior

Ruby is now 8 1/2 years old and seems to be getting a bit grouchy in her old age. The last time my daughter came to visit, her baby (9 mos.) liked to crawl to Ruby and touch her nose or her ear, or her mom would help her pet her very lightly. She always had her mama nearby, so we know nothing happened to Ruby to cause her pain. No fast movements. After about 2 minutes of this, and my daughter petting her, she snapped her teeth in the direction of the baby.

This visit the baby crawled onto her bed and sat down, not touching Ruby at all. Ruby let out a low growl and the baby was removed. We have no idea why this is happening, and of course, are worried that she might snap or bite the baby. She was not allowed to be around the baby the rest of the visit.

What is different is that Ruby came to live with us when our grandson was 1, and he would crawl on her, sleep on her bed with her, etc. Our 4 year old granddaughter can also be around her and on her bed, and Ruby has never shown any reaction at all. When we got Ruby, we were told she would be good with kids because she was raised with several of them. I know a lot of greys have space aggression, and I am wondering if she has all of a sudden developed this ? Why the change ? could she be sick and we don't know it ? Does this sound like she is in pain ?

We will definitely be keeping the baby away from her, but it scares me that she will get too close and get hurt.

Ideas of what might be going on ?

Karen

Sometimes when dogs get older they are not as patient with small ones as in theis younger years. They need more rest and just get older and develop typical old dog things, some pain in the back or the joints. A baby with it's uncontrolled movements can be overwhelming even if she loves kids in general and ges along with older more controlled ones easily.

My boys have physio every 4 to 6 weeks to keep those old dog problems to a minimum. It helps with their backs and muscles and therefor increases the mobility and reduces injuries while running and spinning in the yard.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

since this is a new behavior i firmly believe that it's time for the vet to access her and see what might be causing pain.

if she has space aggression she would have displayed that w/ the other grandchildren. my welsh terrier just snapped at me one day- he was around 10 or so. dogs can be very stoic and often will not display any signs of pain until it really hurts. please keep ruby in a safe quiet environment with out creepers or children until you find out exactly what is going on. keep her and the grandchildren safe.

Thank you for the comments. Ruby did have a complete physical just a couple weeks ago to make sure all was well for her dental. I wonder if it might have something to do with her teeth, or the fact that she is getting arthritis in her hind end. I do know the baby didn't hurt her or fall on her, but I know when I hurt, I don't want anyone near me either. She is having her dental on Wednesday, so if it is her teeth, that will be taken care of.

Karen

Please, please open and read this link written by a veterinary behaviorist, Dr. Sophia Yin:

http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/kids-and-dogs-how-kids-should-and-should-not-interact-with-dogs

Ruby may be in pain (dental, etc.) and feeling a shorter temper; however, we teach all our adopters that children should not be permitted to approach dogs while they are lying down. General rule for dog owners: "Let resting dogs lie" without being disturbed.

Safer to wait until the dog is standing and has walked away from her/his bed, and willing to accept brief, gentle petting on the dog's side (not in front of dog's face). Petting a dog's shoulder area (child is on same side) is much less threatening than reaching over a dog's head. Better yet, wait for the dog to approach the child if the dog wants attention.

BTW, an occupied baby carrier/seat should never be placed on floor level with any dog.

Good that you listened to Ruby's communication warnings. Remember to not let anyone scold Ruby for growling, showing teeth, etc. because her growl is a clear communication gift to humans that she's feeling overstimulated, uncomfortable with the situation, or is in pain. If a growl is punished, she may learn to skip a growl and go to a bite next time just to get her point across.

After surviving a severe dog bite as a young child; then seeing multiple dog bite incidents thereafter; IMO, you're very lucky that younger Ruby previously tolerated such child invasive behavior. Just because any dog is likely good with children doesn't mean they're a stuffed animal without boundaries. ;)

Again, here's Dr. Sophia Yin's article to please read:

http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/kids-and-dogs-how-kids-should-and-should-not-interact-with-dogs

Thank you for the link, and I did read it again. The issue I see with that is, if we did not pet Ruby while lying down, she would never get petted. She lays down even when you call her to you, she is that lazy. She has always seemed to enjoy us sitting by her bed to pet her and I know that the baby did not hurt her. Both times there was a problem, I was watching and her mom was sitting there.

Hopefully it won't happen again, but we will be watching the baby and Ruby a little closer from now on. We certainly do not want the baby to get bit, or to have Ruby labeled as a biter.

Karen

I know I certainly like babies less as I get older! Don't see why a dog might not as well.

We have the most hilarious picture of my grandmother at my first nephew's Christening. Grandmother didn't like children--she was Dad's stepmother, and never had any of her own. My sister in law INSISTED on putting the baby on her lap for a photo. Grandmother looks like a rotten carcass has just been put on her lap! Too funny!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Different baby with different smells than the previous kids. Ruby's perception of them could have changed. Ruby could be experienced a physical pain somewhere that makes her have less patience.

I'm another to say if she isn't standing and away from her bed, no petting. She will live without petting. It probably hurtst us more when they don't crave it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest k9soul

When my RB Tasha was younger, she loved puppies and playing with them. When she got older she didn't tolerate them and wanted to be left alone. It may be a similar situation. Maybe more tired or more achy, and she just has fewer "spoons" than she used to (referring to the spoon theory article). If she hasn't had blood work and a thyroid panel that might be something to get checked out. Otherwise she may just need more space from the young ones than she used to.