Vulvaplasty?

Kimmie-Pickle's had on/off issues over the last two years; lots of licking; irritation, at times swelling, painful urination, etc. We've tried wipes, keeping the area cleaner; antibiotics at times. But, especially in the warmer, more humid months she's miserable. She's been on antibiotics now for two weeks; plus a topical, and some pain relief and she's finally feeling better but it'll happen again.

So.. this Wednesday she's scheduled for a Vulvaplasty.

But.... I'll worry. They tell me 2 week recovery... and there will be stitches that will have to be removed.

And I already know.. she's a "licker"... "been there, have ideas" to keep her comfortable?

Thanks..

Linda

I do agree with you-it's time for the surgery. The procedure itself is a rather straight foward surgery. Post op recovery can be tough. The stitches pull and some dogs really have a hard time with it intially. She will need to have either an e-collar or muzzle in place for those 2 weeks. Once the sutures are removed she will feel so much better. Remember to use Amicar to prevent post operative bleeding. I'm sure your vet will also prescribe an appropriate pain medication and possible antibiotic. Remind your vet that most of these guys don't handle opiates well so to avoid morphine in the pre op. I have found that they handle a lower dose buprenex pretty well. All the best--please post an update after the surgery :-)

My puppy had this done, and it really was a non issue for her after the first few days. Hope your girl gets off as easy!

you might consider buy a pair of boys pajama bottoms or some boxers to keep the area covered when you're not with her. You'll have to take them on/off for ptties, but it will be worth it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My Idol had this done and her recovery was, for sure, less than two weeks. Also she had self dissolving stitches, so there was no suture removal. My vet used laser, for something, so the healing was less scabby, if that makes sense. Your girlie will feel so much better after it is done.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I do agree with you-it's time for the surgery. The procedure itself is a rather straight foward surgery. Post op recovery can be tough. The stitches pull and some dogs really have a hard time with it intially. She will need to have either an e-collar or muzzle in place for those 2 weeks. Once the sutures are removed she will feel so much better. Remember to use Amicar to prevent post operative bleeding. I'm sure your vet will also prescribe an appropriate pain medication and possible antibiotic. Remind your vet that most of these guys don't handle opiates well so to avoid morphine in the pre op. I have found that they handle a lower dose buprenex pretty well. All the best--please post an update after the surgery :-)

She's already on an antibiotic, (can't recall the name right now), but Docs (there's two; husband/wife team that work together) said she'd need to stay on it post surgery anyway so she just started her third week of it today. I'll be sure to mention the Amicar tomorrow when I call; though I think it's already been spoken about. They only have 3 greyhounds as patients; (and 2 are mine!) but one of them did their residency in a greyhound program. As far as the pain.. I see there's Buprenex 0,3 listed. And post op is a Metacam injection and oral Metacam (bottle, I guess to take home.) I still have Tramadol left from when she was really hurting in the past couple of weeks. There's also a post-op Laser Treatment? What does that do?

I cringe every time I think of those stitches. My sweet baby girl will not be happy! Thank you for your advice!

My puppy had this done, and it really was a non issue for her after the first few days. Hope your girl gets off as easy!

you might consider buy a pair of boys pajama bottoms or some boxers to keep the area covered when you're not with her. You'll have to take them on/off for ptties, but it will be worth it.

I was thinking of the jammie bottoms.. something like a soft knit. There's a lot of beds and spots she's likes to flop down on; and with another grey in the house that I swear drops crumbs even when he's not eating it would at least help to keep her little tush a little cleaner.

My Idol had this done and her recovery was, for sure, less than two weeks. Also she had self dissolving stitches, so there was no suture removal. My vet used laser, for something, so the healing was less scabby, if that makes sense. Your girlie will feel so much better after it is done.

I'll feel better when it's over and done with too! I see that laser is added as "post op" but I'm not sure why. The office just called me this morning saying that they were sending the estimate and since they're only open a few hours on Sundays I'll wait til tomorrow to call.

Kili had this done at 7 months. She'd also had an exploratory urinary surgery though, so she had an abdominal incision too which I think probably hurt more. The vulvoplasty only seemed to bother her when she squatted to pee, as I'm sure that caused the area to stretch. Otherwise it really didn't bother her at all. Her sutures were buried. She wore a kennel muzzle post-op to prevent licking, but you could also use bitch sanitary panties.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest chickenpotpie

I didn't realize this was so common. Considering what Lucky is going through I may also be headed down this road (but I hope not!)

Good luck to your girl and I hope her healing time is uneventful!

You may have already tried this but we've had great luck using and recommending Neo-Predef powder. It comes in a very small bottle and is easily sprayed on to the area. It actually comes out in a small puff when you squeeze the bottle so you don't use too much. We used it on a daily basis after wiping. A small bottle lasts a whole year. We have had three females in our program that this has worked on and all avoided surgery. It's prescribed so your vet will have to get it for you.

I didn't realize this was so common. Considering what Lucky is going through I may also be headed down this road (but I hope not!)

Good luck to your girl and I hope her healing time is uneventful!

It's not uncommon for these girls to need surgery. Link may help :-)

http://www.greyfortgreyhounds.com/ArticlesPDF/files/Urinary%20Tract%20Infection.pdf

You may have already tried this but we've had great luck using and recommending Neo-Predef powder. It comes in a very small bottle and is easily sprayed on to the area. It actually comes out in a small puff when you squeeze the bottle so you don't use too much. We used it on a daily basis after wiping. A small bottle lasts a whole year. We have had three females in our program that this has worked on and all avoided surgery. It's prescribed so your vet will have to get it for you.

Thanks.. we do have that "puff powder", handy stuff, it does seem to give her more relief when she was when feeling especially uncomfortable.

Kimmie-Pickle's surgery was today and she came home about 6:30. Vet had recommended privacy and quiet for her, (no nosy sniffing from bouncing brother!) So she was got settled into "her" room behind a baby gate and dozed for the next three hours. She's obviously very sore.. and I have to put cold compresses on the stitches. She's not interested in food or water yet.. but she did take pieces of the homemade pill pockets so I was able to give her the Tramadol as ordered.

Right now it's leash walk only for pottying... and she did pee before.. but first attempt was accompanied by a scream. Then she tried again and peed a nice long, steady stream. Dr. Brooke said the surgery went well; but that that the surgeon found it took a little longer than he expected. But, that once she's healed they don't anticipate any more problems.

She goes back on Monday for a recheck; and back in 2 weeks from today for stitch removal.

She's awake now... ears up, just watching me, one arm over her favorite pal, Octi the octopus.

Poor baby.. just after she had woken up earlier and I'd opened the front door to take her out to pee there was a big, "boom" followed by a bunch of little crack... neighbor shooting off fireworks. Just something my thunderphobic little girl didn't need tonight!

I'm glad the surgery went well and hope her recovery is swift and uncomplicated. She really will feel so much better very soon.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I am so glad the surgery went well and poor timing for the fireworks!

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

It's not uncommon for these girls to need surgery. Link may help :-)

http://www.greyfortgreyhounds.com/ArticlesPDF/files/Urinary%20Tract%20Infection.pdf

Thank you for this! I get it now! :nod We had the opportunity to have a consult with Dr. Couto during the weekend of my boy's adoption group's picnic. Since Kimmie had just recently had yet another round of antibiotics and discomfort I describe the symptoms to him he seemed immediately know what it was. After he and Dr. Metzger examined her it was exactly this. Though, the vet we were using at the time did not seem receptive to the information so we changed to another practice. So glad that we were able to do something to get it corrected. Even Kimmie will thank me... in another week or so! :wub:

This is one of those things that is absolutely miserable for a few days, but brings a lifetime of relief.

So glad everything went well. Hope she's back to Herself, only better, quite soon.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Friday evening and our patient is not a a happy girl. She did finally eat dinner last night; (first full meal since breakfast on Tuesday). Ate a good breakfast this morning; but has onlly peed once since 10pm last nite. He called at 3 today just after she finished..and I told him she was drinking and eating. He said keep up the cold compresses; that the swelling should go down in the next day or so.

Well... since then she's refused everything... no water, no food,won't take anything. Got the Meticam into her.. and the 3 pm dose of tramadol.. but still have to get that antibiotic into her. Poor thing... the neighbors are back to setting off fireworks again; only this time they have 2 other houses in the neighborhood doing the same.

Thundershirt; (we call it the "power cape!" and 45 minutes of cuddle time, (along with some cool compresses) and she's asleep.

Sigh.

Ugh-hate fireworks -such horrible timing for you. You must get her to eat something before giving her the next metacam dose--that must be given with food. You may need to cook her a hamburger or something tasty just to get food in her tummy.

Five days post surgery and she ate today.. and the swelling is going down. Yesterday started out with a small breakfast; she took her meds but as the day went by she refused to drink anything, peed only twice, (with pain and yelps and small amounts.) Then the various neighbors around started with the fireworks; the big bangs, and then some idiot then kept blowing his car horn.

She paced..she shook.. the usual that she does during a thunderstorm or fireworks but much more panting. Refused food and meds and water. I tried to keep her where it was most quiet.. but I've never seen her look so distressed. She finally fell asleep when the noise stopped.. but again this morning she refused breakfast, wouldn't drink,, and just wanted to head back to the door when I took her out to pee.

I called the vet's office and the vet tech was in and told me to bring Kimmie in so she could take a look at her. She spoke to the vet on the phone and they decided giving Kimmie some fluids, a shot for nausea and another of antacid. An hour later, we were settled back home, where she drank... peed.. and ate breakfast..and took her meds. And napped... and napped some more.. And ate dinner! :balloonparty

Tomorrow morning it's back to the vet for her scheduled recheck, and switch to another antibiotic if she still needs to be on one. I think she's finally getting past the worst of this ordeal.

Am I the only female who gave an involuntary cringe whilst reading "to get her stitches removed"????

Oh, Patsy... I've been cringing every time I think about it! Even going to into the vet; feeling miserable with nausea and her little "tush" swollen she still manages some happy tail wags. Again today she got more injections and more fluid; and as we left one tech cheerfully said, "only another 8 days till stitch removal." :thumbs-up Maybe it's real good thing that our hounds don't browse the web and look up medical stuff in advance like people do!