Pet Insurance

Guest Lillypad

Guest Lillypad

Would love to hear from all my Canadian peeps. Who is your number one choice for pet insurance. What company offers the best policies and coverage for the premium. I have heard wonderful reviews for Healthy Paws but not sure it is available in Canada.

I do not live in Canada, but I have used Trupanion for the last 4 years on my two Greyhounds. I have been very happy with them. They have paid for 3 back surgeries and many other things. But, with the new Galgo, I decided to try Healthy Paws (the premium is about half price). I have not had a problem with the Galgo, so have not used the insurance co..we will see.

I hope you do have HP. I submitted a claim yesterday morning. Just downloaded the bill, no forms, no signatures, nothing else. I was told last night the check is in the mail! And I knew exactly how much I was getting back (unlike VPI)

Isn't that amazing? I use the app to submit the bill and receive an e-mail response within hours and the reimbursement check within days.

There has been slight increase in premiums since I joined in 2012. I enrolled when my boy was 6yr old-I have a $500 deductible with a 90% reimbursement -the premium when I first enrolled was $36/month and it's now $43/month. I'm very happy with HP.

Sounds like y'all are pretty happy with Healthy Paws. I have to switch - have Pets Best, which was recommended by several people. They wouldn't cover any of Merlin's urinary issues 'cause they were pre-existing, and they just sent me a letter that they're increasing my premiums for him by almost 100%!!! They say it's 'cause vet care COSTS so much more now... REALLY??? So I'm switching. Healthy Paws looks pretty good!! Thanks!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

We have insurance with OSPCA, which in turn was upgraded to 24PetWatch insurance. I think you really need to shop around and check premiums and coverage, it varies so much. We pay around $45 CAN a month for our cat and dog (both almost 6). Our coverage is up to $1500 a year with a $100 deductible, 20% copay. My only issue with them is that you cannot submit or track claims online, you can email them but they always reply in the mail. Our previous insurer let you submit online and track the progress of the claim, plus direct deposit into the bank. They have been very helpful when I call. They initially denied one claim but when I spoke to them and submitted letters from 2 separate vets noting that corns are completely separate from other foot injuries they then paid out. You have to persevere with claims sometimes but most insurers will not cover pre-existing conditions and request full medical records with your first claim. They also covered my cat breaking his canine, normally dental is not covered unless it is accidental. Again we had to submit lots of additional letters stating that it was an accident. This year we have definitely got back all the money we have paid in to the insurance since we had the cat. My theory is that if you pay in and never use it then that is good too, you have a healthy pet!

I have Trupanion. About $100/month. I went with $0 deductible, unlimited claims. I chose these options, even though it costs more every month, because I just don't want to have to think about it. :) They have always paid and paid promptly. Summer just had a dental and the vet prepared the invoice so that the cleaning part was separated from the extraction part and they paid right up.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Lillypad

I am not all trying to be mean when I say this.... it is really just a little jealous humor talking..really.... truly LOL ..... But, ya all stop telling me how wonderful Healthy Paws is..... We can't get it in Canada!!!! :weep LOL (Remember I am trying to be funny) I even called and asked it I could purchase it and then take my hound stateside (only 45 min from Watertown, NY) for vet services, but they said sorry, not possible. Now I realize that this plan would not work in an emergency situation... but thinking it would be helpful for routine and dental. I will have a close look at the insurance policies available in Canada and see if they will work for us. Any suggestions from Canadians, thanks everyone.

I researched all of the Canadian companies and went with Trupanion. In terms of coverage, for only a slightly higher monthly fee I can get unlimited coverage as opposed to a couple of thousand from other companies.

I pay just over $60 a month, I think I have a $500 deductible (can't even remember exactly :P) for unlimited claims. Mine doesn't cover routine things like dentals unfortunately. I have never had to use them yet, but I can only hope they pull through if I do.

I have Trupanion and have nothing but good to say about them. My dogs were a bit older when I enrolled them, and I have a small deductible so the premiums are more than some others, but they cover everything they say they will. (They do not cover routine care, such as vet consults, dentals, vaccines, etc., but do a great job with treatment costs.) Jaynie had some pre-existing conditions so I spent a lot of time with them understanding what would not be covered, and they have entirely honoured anything that falls outside that list.

Guest Lillypad

So I am getting the sense that these companies do not cover dental cleanings and dental surgeries and preventative care. This was the one area that I was hoping to utilize. Thanks everyone

Now I realize that this plan would not work in an emergency situation... but thinking it would be helpful for routine and dental.

Even if you were able to do this, Healthy Paws does not cover routine exams or dentals, unfortunately.

I waited a long time to get insurance. I got very lucky that Grace's end of life care was reasonable (under $1,500). I will never be without insurance again.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Healthy Paws and Trupanion do not cover routine exams, shots or dentals. But, when it comes to the big budget busters, they pay whatever you signed up for. In my case, they have paid out thousands of dollars and cover the corns being hulled every 7-10 days. I would not be without insurance on them.

Pet Secure does a plan that includes wellness cover (routine exams, dental etc). It is called Secure 4. It is the most expensive of their plans but does include unlimited coverage for accident and illness. Depending on the age of your pet about $100 per month with $400 deductible. We had insurance with them for our cat for quite a few years and I was very pleased with them. However when we got our dog we switched provider because they offered better value for money for two pets and had a lower deductible.