Study: Kibble And Raw Digestion

Guest k9soul

Guest k9soul

This is really interesting and goes against what a lot of raw feeding information says about raw digesting faster than kibble and that there is danger in mixing the two. I personally feed both raw and kibble and have for years, so I appreciated this piece and am reassured that I am not putting my pups at increased risk.

http://therawfeedingcommunity.com/2015/01/08/digest-this-kibble-may-actually-digest-faster-than-raw/

Thanks for sharing this. There are quite a lot of useful tidbits in there about feeding raw. I also think it's worth noting the mention of acid to digest food in the stomach. i have never understood why people are always so quick to recommend Pepcid the minute a dog shows sign of stomach upset when acid is key to a dog's ability to digest it's food. Not saying it's never warranted, but it shouldn't be recommended so lightly imho.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I've been feeding raw with a handful of kibble on top at breakfast and then plain kibble for dinner for 3+ years and none of my hounds have ever had any sort of digestive upsets.

The raw is a ground mix, made locally :)

- Chicken 40%

- Beef (red meat and bone) 15%

- Beef (internal organs, tripe, kidney, heart) 20%

- Fish 20%

- Cooked Eggs 5%

The Kibble is Kirkland Lamb and Rice.

Very rarely I have found they will vomit teeny bone pieces a few hours after a meal.

Nixon does get constipated if he has too much bone, which is why I started adding the kibble on top.

And they most certainly they have awesome poop!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I've been feeding mine kibble for breakfast (sometimes with some organ meat) and then often a raw meal in the afternoon (meat and bone) for many years. I would see things about how they shouldn't be mixed or should be fed 12 hours apart and I would worry some about it but it just didn't make a lot of sense to me. I was really glad to see this as it confirmed my own suspicions, and I hope this can help stop the misinformation about raw vs kibble digestion that seems to be repeated a lot.

Glad others found it interesting/helpful!

Guest Johberry

Thank you for posting this article! We, too, feed a kibble breakfast and a raw dinner to our hound. We've heard/read so many differing opinions on this (even advice from our pet boutique not to mix the two), and it's nice to read a little study disproving the myths. The bit on digestion rates was also interesting but makes sense. Thank you again. :)

Thanks for the interesting link. As someone who has been raw feeding for many years, I think I have heard it all. I remember being told that feeding the two together would allow for bacteria to multiply due to kibble slowing down the raw digestion (although I never really believed it). I also have mixed a ground mix into the kibble for years, and all of my dogs do wonderful on it. Greyhounds, competitive sleddog teams and other performance dogs have eaten this for years.