Angel

{ just adopted a broodie that cannot be bathed, I know some faint during baths but this is a little different

Took her to PetSmart to be bathed, she collapsed and scared the living daylights out of everyone including the resident vet who detected a murmur that my vet missed

Left PetSmart and went to my vet where he checked her over and also heard the murmur I asked if the soap could be rinsed off and the vet tech used tepid water and she collapsed again with the vet present

Vet did an EKG and it was determined that she needed an echo cardiogram, which I am waiting for them to schedule

She did have two litters one was 5 pups who are 18 months old and the otherwas 3 pups who are 3 months old. I have been unable to get her vet records but my vet is now trying

Has any one else had their pup have these episodes when trying to bathe them

Edited by 6greyhounds

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Aston fainted when I tried to use somewhat-warm water to bathe him in a bathtub. He revived fine on his own once the water was cooled to barely lukewarm. After that, I bathed him outside using water from my garden hose, but not on days when the water would be very cold.

This is a very common (but still scary!) phenomenon with greyhounds.

I have heard that mild murmurs are also common with greys.

:grouphug

It''s scary when that happens! In my experience with my two, and from what I've noticed at local greyhound-wash fundraisers I've volunteered at, the water temperature being too warm seems to cause this.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Hope all turns out to be well, or at least easily managed!

FWIW, I don't use even tepid water anymore for most hounds. More on the cool side, at least for indoor bathing. They all seem to do better when they can be bathed outdoors, where they can move around a bit more and their feet can stay in the cool grass, but that's not feasible in our (or your!) climate in winter.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I wouldn't worry too much yet. Heart murmurs are not that uncommon. I have one and 50% of my Dr's and nurses don't hear it. I have no issues. It may or may not have any impact on your dog's fainting.

I will also say that a new dog being bathed may collapse repeatedly for no medical reason.

Relax - it's probably just new-dog stress.

Both things are quite common in greys. I almost always use cold water from the hose outside for baths, but we don't bath very often. Most greys have some sort of heart murmur, as well, and live long lives without any treatment (though some are serious enough to require medication). If your vet isn't familiar with them he may be more concerned than he needs to be.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest shanesmom

I took Ace to petco for a bath a few days after I adopted him and he scared them too when he collapsed. And he pooped everywhere at the same time. He had not been pooping well on a leash yet and I think he couldn't hold it in any more with the warm water. Then he wouldn't walk on his own on the shiny floor. He had walked in but wouldn't walk out. He's a big boy. The girls carried him to me and once on the rug he stood up. They earned the nice tip I gave them that's for sure. The only baths he's gotten since then have been in the summer in the yard and he's been ok.

Ditto what everyone has already said.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money investigating a heart problem. Just don't bath her again (and for what it's worth, being new to you, taken to a strange place, and bathed by a total stranger probably didn't help) and it's kind of a non-issue.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Don't spend a lot of money on vet-tests. Your dog is probably fine. Go home, and enjoy your dog. People who aren't used to greys panic a LOT. Vets included.

Greys "normal" everything is quite different than other dogs' normal. So a non-grey-savvy person will freak out at what is normal for a grey.

Most likely - your dog is fine. Don't spend $$$ to find that out. If she's not and she has a serious heart condition - there's probably nothing you can do to fix it. Love your dog - and if she has a heart-attack in a year..... that's the cards she was dealt.

Step back. RELAX. And enjoy your dog. Make sure she has a good life. It might be 1 year or 10. We never know.

so far so good, one thing though is a limp that she has when she wakes up from sleeping, does not last long, wondering if the foot/leg goes to sleep on her, it is the right front leg. Still have not gotten records from tht et in W, Virginia, not even to my vet

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Don't spend a lot of money on vet-tests. Your dog is probably fine. Go home, and enjoy your dog. People who aren't used to greys panic a LOT. Vets included.

Greys "normal" everything is quite different than other dogs' normal. So a non-grey-savvy person will freak out at what is normal for a grey.

Most likely - your dog is fine. Don't spend $$$ to find that out. If she's not and she has a serious heart condition - there's probably nothing you can do to fix it. Love your dog - and if she has a heart-attack in a year..... that's the cards she was dealt.

Step back. RELAX. And enjoy your dog. Make sure she has a good life. It might be 1 year or 10. We never know.

Totally agree!!

5621ebf0-6541-442b-a53f-100a3975572f_zps

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)