Scary Incident With Sweep And Olive The Cat

A little while ago I was out with Sweep in the backyard and we were heading back inside when my female cat Olive darted out. Olive has been doing this a lot the past couple of months and we've been doing what we can to stop it but sometimes she is just too fast. She even darts under Sweep's legs and thus far Sweep has seemed mostly oblivious and gone right inside. Not today. A chase ensued and it was so terrifying I am still shaking. I was screaming and clapping my hands so hard one of my fingers is now swollen and discolored. Long story short, although at one point they both were out of my sight line, I do not think Sweep ever made contact. Once Sweep gave up and I was able to get her inside and crated, Olive allowed me to pick her up and take her inside (every bit of fur standing on end). She peed herself and perhaps hurt her front paw (she tried to climb a post to the roof and her claws are pretty shredded), but there doesn't seem to be any major damage. Sweep also seems fine; no scratches visible anywhere. Would something like this potentially change their dynamic indoors? Will we need to go back to step one and be super-vigilant about their interactions (crating Sweep when we're out, for instance, which we haven't done for months)? We left Sweep in her crate while we got Olive cleaned up in the bathtub but Olive is obviously still rattled. She is the cat who vomited for two weeks straight when we first got Sweep and would not leave the top of the closet. Once she got used to Sweep, though, she was fine and in fact rolls around exposing her belly to Sweep all the time; she has not been timid around her since those early days.

Sorry if I'm rambling...I'm very upset, although of course so grateful things did not turn out tragically. I know Sweep was just acting on instinct and have tried to be as normal as possible with her though I am sure she is picking up the freaked-out vibes.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I have no advice, but just wanted to say how glad I am that both of your girls are okay. Rachel, I think you've earned a stiff beverage after that terrifying event.

Definitely in the evening plans...as soon as I stop feeling like I'm going to puke! (Adrenaline, I guess.)

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

My greyhounds chased our cat in the backyard in a similar incident. It was so scary and I was shocked our cat could run so fast. Anyway, once everyone was indoors, there was no change to their interactions.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Whew! :cry1 Glad nobody was hurt. Definitely a wake-up call though. Would keep a close eye on their indoor interactions for awhile. Can you get Olive in the house before letting Sweep off leash? Typically we tell adopters that all bets are off with greyhounds + outdoor cats. :(

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

My greyhounds chased our cat in the backyard in a similar incident. It was so scary and I was shocked our cat could run so fast. Anyway, once everyone was indoors, there was no change to their interactions.

So relieved to read that, thank you. And, yes, I couldn't believe how fast Olive ran.

Now that I can breathe again, I am glad it wasn't my male cat because he would have put up a nasty fight and no doubt I'd be at the e-vet with one or both of them now.

Whew! :cry1 Glad nobody was hurt. Definitely a wake-up call though. Would keep a close eye on their indoor interactions for awhile. Can you get Olive in the house before letting Sweep off leash? Typically we tell adopters that all bets are off with greyhounds + outdoor cats. :(

Olive's not an outdoor cat; she just desperately wants to be. :( Maybe she has finally learned her lesson about bolting out the door, though...

I can totally relate with you on this situation. The same thing happened with me and my boys Aidan and Brewski. Before we got Aidan I used to (DONT LAUGH!) walk Brewski on a cat harness around in the yard so he could be outside safely. Every time the door opens now he thinks its time for him to go on one of his adventures. He darted out once and Aidan chased after him. Just like you I screamed my head off which seemed to do nothing until I was able to grab him by the collar and take him inside. It is truly terrifying. I though I was going to watch my dog murder my cat right in front of me.

Edited by Aidansmom

I can totally relate with you on this situation. The same thing happened with me and my boys Aidan and Brewski. Before we got Aidan I used to (DONT LAUGH!) walk Brewski on a cat harness around in the yard so he could be outside safely. Every time the door opens now he thinks its time for him to go on one of his adventures. He darted out once and Aidan chased after him. Just like you I screamed my head off which seemed to do nothing until I was able to grab him by the collar and take him inside. It is truly terrifying. I though I was going to watch my dog murder my cat right in front of me.

We tried a cat harness with Olive too (before we got Sweep). She crouched down like it weighed 100 pounds and refused to walk in it. :lol

Were Aidan and Brewski (love that name) okay afterward? So far mine haven't interacted at all, which is fine with me. Olive's upstairs napping on our bed and Sweep's downstairs with me. I'm ready for that adult beverage now.

Take some time to calm down - for everyone to calm down - before you make decisions about going forward. This may, or I think may not, have any effect on how they get along together inside the house.

It may have cured the cat from wanting to go outside. If not, keep a squirt bottle handy by the door to quickly stop any urges she may have before she gets close to outside.

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Agree with iluvgreys and greysmom.

Outside = game on. Any small running animal can look like an exciting lure. Chase and hunt instinct + excitement hormones increase quickly, especially outside. Sweep may not have even realized exactly which animal she was chasing.

If it were me, I'd go back to square one cat safety to be safe with both animals inside too. IMO, It's always a risk to leave small animals free in an unsupervised house with hounds. Our hounds are always behind a 5" raised baby-gate so cats at least have a wide escape route, and younger hounds are crated if cats are roaming free inside the house unsupervised. Greyhounds are faster runners than cats.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and your cat. I can imagine the horror. I've never had any indoor cats escape outside in 30 years, so it can be done. I work hard to keep cats from ever developing an interest in the doorway. I make very loud scary noises (from the other side of the door) if a cat approaches a door leading outside (e.g. banging on a metal garbage can top). I try to use the closed garage as a secondary safety net. Good luck, and try not to worry too much. I'm confident that with careful care you can resume Sweep's good relationship with your cat inside the house.

Edited by 3greytjoys

We tried a cat harness with Olive too (before we got Sweep). She crouched down like it weighed 100 pounds and refused to walk in it. :lol

Were Aidan and Brewski (love that name) okay afterward? So far mine haven't interacted at all, which is fine with me. Olive's upstairs napping on our bed and Sweep's downstairs with me. I'm ready for that adult beverage now.

Sometimes I feel so awkward telling people what our cats name is. He came with the name when we got him and knew it really well so we didn't change it. I just don't want people to think me and DH are ragging alcoholics or anything :cheers

Aidan and Brewski were fine after and normally always are. They are not really friends but are perfectly happy ignoring each other and pretending the other dose not exist.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go back to supervising only because Olive might be defensive or more likely to run from Sweep after their interaction. I'd expect that for Sweep, they were two different animals - inside cat is friend, outside bolting cat is something exciting to chase.

I also have a 'bolting outside' indoor cat. I am fortunate in that Mouse wanted to chase her but wants to listen to me more, so all I had to do was call her off the cat a couple of times and now she just ignores the bolting squirrel tailed cat as she brushes past....