Adding Fruits And Veggies?

Guest OhCatastrophe

Guest OhCatastrophe

so recently I have found that Cleo LOVES fruits and veggies. We found this out by her taking bananas off the table and out apples of of our plates haha!

So my question is how can I add these foods into her diet? correct ratios? at some point I might even start raw feeding but rightnow fruits,veggies and dry food are what I'm able to do!

When I'm making our dinner garden salad, I have 4 hounds waiting behind me in the kitchen for their share. They love cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, and little baby carrots! Ambi even loved lettuce leaves. And fruit? don't even go there, they love that too.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest BlueCrab

I use fruits and veggies (raw) to help bulk up our guys meals or as treats. We learned the hard way, too, when Trixie kept stealing bananas. Now my co-workers always give me their speckledy brown bananas for her when they're too ripe to eat.

There's little they don't like, except Trixie doesn't like kale. Leyland loves the bulky kale stems, but Trixie spits them out. Otherwise, they both seem to like all the fruits and veggies I give them. We need to watch Leyland's weight with his CHF so we try to limit his quantity of dry food and then add veggies (usually frozen green beans) to help fill out his meal.

Just be aware of the things you can't feed - especially onions and grapes!

I use them as treats, or just toss some in as extras in with their kibble. Dear Baz lifted an entire huge bunch of bananas off the table very delicately with his front teeth, then gave me the "What? You give me them as treats -- aren't they all mine?" look when I protested.

Milo eats tomatoes right off the vine.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest chickenpotpie

You should be perfectly fine adding fruits and veggies. Lucky loves bananas...as long as they're pre-mashed. I gave her an unmushed one and she kept trying to mush it up with her nose :hehe She likes frozen green beans, fresh spinach, but doesn't do uncooked apples,tomato, or carrots.

My gal Porsche gets fruit and veggies with every meal. I just buy the bulk frozen fruits and veggies (carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, etc) and pop them in the microwave for about a minute with a little water. I wet her food anyway, so I just toss a handful of produce in a little dish, add a little water, and zap it while I scoop out her food and change her water. She LOVES the extras and I really think the veggies help keep her teeth clean since they aren't totally soft.

Edited by WabbitGTI

Guest OhCatastrophe

Thanks everyone!!

I've been testing out foods and it seems the only veggies she likes so far are cucumbers and yellow squash haha but she loves apple and bananas! Once I get more im going to try and add these to her meals, or at least 1! Thankfully I get free apples!

Thanks everyone!!

I've been testing out foods and it seems the only veggies she likes so far are cucumbers and yellow squash haha but she loves apple and bananas! Once I get more im going to try and add these to her meals, or at least 1! Thankfully I get free apples!

Have you tried roasted kale or kale chips? We put kale on homemade pizzas sometimes and learned by accident that Sweep LOVES it. She'll eat it in any form but she really loves it crispy out of the oven.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

I don't think dogs get a lot of nutritional value from fruits and veggies but as a treat or an add-in they're super! My friend who is training a puppy is giving a LOT of treats right now as was starting to get concerned about calories. She told me tonight that the puppy LOVES apples. More than store-bought treats. So - apple pieces are the new reward! Also - he wants to eat and eat so I suggested if he likes them to add cooked green beans to his food at mealtimes. Won't hurt, not many calories, and he might feel more full longer. (He's at that teenage-I'm-starving-all-the-time stage).

Just avoid grapes (a few are ok but not a lot), avacado and onion.

Of my two greys, only one likes her fruits and veggies - especially green beans and broccoli. My boy will not eat them unless they have some butter on them from my plate. One time I mixed green beans in with their food - Lia ate everything, Buca picked out all the veggies and placed them under his bowl on the floor (raised metal feeder). A clear sign of what he thought about vegetables :).

Brady loves green beans (fresh or canned), broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrots, cantaloupe, watermelon and fresh pineapple.

He's not into bananas or apples....

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Guest homebase004

Our boy Odie loves carrots, I just fed him and added raw broccoli and a cut up carrot, to his dry food, (FROMM). Then along comes Eddie he too loves carrots and broccoli. We also use baby carrots for treats, they both love them.

We also give them bananas and strawberries, another hit.

Edited by homebase004

The first day Mercury came to live with us he very gently stole a peach out of the fruit bowl. I thought he had a tennis ball in his mouth until I remembered we didn't have any tennis balls in the house.

While he loves most fruits and veggies and a slightly different assortment from my previous dogs (such as no to fennel but yes to oranges), I've never met a doggy who didn't lovvvvvvve melon!

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound