Xanax Or An Injectable

After the thunder storm the other night I have to get Ruby something to calm her down occasionally. I made an appt. with the vet but it is in a couple of weeks. I know we have tried Valium for her before when her SA was out of control with no results. Does anyone use Xanax ? How much do you give your dog and how often ?

Does anyone know of an injectable medication I could ask for that would work immediately ? I don't always know when thunder is headed our way.

Thanks

Karen

Trazadone is a pill that works very quickly. Available at pharmacies with an Rx.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Do you know what mg dose the Valium was? It may be that it wasn't enough. Valium *should* work to sedate and calm most dogs. You might ask your vet either for a higher dose or Valium in suppository form if her anxiety is really out of control (it's what we give to seizure dogs to stop cluster seizures; very fast-acting). Trazadone is also good and very cheap, but you'd have to give it before the storm hits.

Actually, Valium tends to make dogs more vocal. I gave it to my mixed breed dog once for a short flight in a small plane and he was the worst he'd ever been. Prior to that he had been on Ace, but he was too old for it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greytkidsmom

We use trazodone for Kebo's thunder and travel anxiety. Xanax had become ineffective. The thundershirt is also helpful if you can get it on before the thunder starts.

Guest budsmom

I've tried xanax, valium and trazadone for Twiz and none of them help. Xanax made her more skitzy, valium had no effect and the trazadone was just so-so.

Xanax, *can* work, but you MUST give it before she begins to have an anxiety attack. This is difficult if your reason is thunder/storm phobia. I agree that the dosage of valium might not have been high enough, but Ruby also might not respond to it. Every dog is different. Trazadone will become effective within 20-30 minutes (the same as xanax), and will work after an anxiety attack begins. It also is apparently very safe with limited side effects.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks everyone. I will ask for Trazadone if that is not one we tried yet. I don't think it was. I know Valium didn't work and I threw some expired out the other day.

Her appt. is not until June 10th and I sure hope we can get something that works fairly quickly.

Does anyone know of an injectible ?

Karen