Long Term Complications From Broken Leg?

Guest jennchendrix

Guest jennchendrix

Hi all! Well, after losing after our first grey to the dreaded OC a year ago in March, we are ready to rescue another!

We have been working with GPA and one of our possibilities is a young female who had a broken back leg that didn't heal quite right. She has full movement and it doesn't seem to bother her, but I am wondering about potential long term complications.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated!

One of our girls broke her hock at age three, and, while it healed OK, the leg does not look "normal." She does everything the others do with no issues (she is 9 this year). Your girl may develop some arthritis as she ages, but as long as she has been cleared for all activities by an orthopedic vet, you shouldn't have any serious complications.

If she has a metal plate in her leg, it may need to be removed at some point. Several greys here have developed a sort of allergic reaction to the metal and have needed to have it removed - sometimes months later and sometimes years. Some don't ever have any problems at all.

Good luck

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I would expect some arthritis to build up there, so some cosequin supplements would be worth considering.

Don't forget that pictures are required -- I'm sorry about your loss last year, but look forward to seeing the new addition to your family!

One of my boys broke his hock at 2. It healed crooked and he has a slight permanent limp. Only people who know his story or really know dog movement notice it. He is very active and runs and plays every day. He does have some serious arthritis, and we supplement, but he does not let it slow him down. I get x-rays done annually to keep on top of any changes but nothing has really changed from age 2 to age 8.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

My boy Scully also broke his hock when he was young, he limped slighly at walking/trotting pace but could still run like the wind. The vet said it never had any sign of arthritis but there could have been nerve damage as the joint was dislocated when it broke.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

My Greyhound 'Ivy' broke his leg when chasing a rabbit in a very hilly área. I waited a few days thinking that it would just be a little

traumatism without importance, but when I saw that it didn't disappear, i took him to the vet and X-rays showd a clean break.

He wore a cast-like bandage for 4 weeks and another fixed bandage after that time for 3 weeks and his leg healed 100%. No more limping

ever and full ability to run full speed as always.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest jennchendrix

Thank you all so much for the replies! Sounds like this girl's break isn't anything we should worry about!!

Missy Pea broke her right front ulna and radius on the farm. She was not treated. Don't ask me why, I don't know. The bones slid over her elbow, and fused to the humerus. There was a lump where the bones fused, and she walked with a noticeable limp. She could run like the wind!

You! Out of the gene pool!