Just Got Home!

Guest M355Y

Guest M355Y

Hi,

We have brought our beautiful new girl, Izzy, home today and she keeps being all happy and spritely but then goes into herself which is a shame but I'm hoping that's just whilst she is settling in with us and our home.

We turned the tv on earlier and she now doesn't want to come into the living room! Do we just carry on as normal until she gains confidence to come in?

She has also decided she wants to relax on the tiled kitchen floor rather than the dining room or living room. Could this again just be whilst she is gaining confidence and settling in?

Thanks,

Becky :)

Edited by M355Y

All normal settling in behaviors. Lots of patience. Lots of time. Lots of positive encouragement (and treats to encourage good behavior!).

The tile is probably cooler than the floor or bed. The kitchen also might feel more secure for her at this point.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest M355Y

Brilliant, thank you for putting my mind at rest. She is completely sparko in the kitchen currently and is being watched over by my cat Benji! Lol

We went in the back garden earlier and she was bouncing around and running in circles down on her front legs such a happy girl.

It must be so so overwhelming for her. I'm so glad I have 4 days off to settle her in.

Here are a few photos from today so far.

image-12.jpg

image-11.jpg

image-5.jpg

If you have a fenced yard there is no need to immediately take her for walks. Let her get nice and settled in first so there's not too much new stimulation.

Stay alert with her and your cat.

She's beautiful!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Congratulations she's a beautiful girl.

Just be sure to give her a quiet place that she can retreat to....in time she will want to spend more and more time with you.

I am in a similar position to you having only had my new boy two weeks and even though I have had four dogs previously, three of them Greys it's still just as exciting, anxious and wonderful to see them settling into their new life.

Edited by scullysmum

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Pretty girl! Everything sounds normal. The advice I give most often is: Relax. I'd pretty much carry on as usual, which I know is difficult to do because she's so brand new to you. You'll find that today she lays in the kitchen and tomorrow she may choose a bedroom. Do you have a comfy bed for her to lay on in the living room? A comfy bed and treats will get her over her insecurity about the TV, if that's her problem. It may be that she just likes the kitchen. When I adopted my girl, she would go into only two rooms: the TV room and the kitchen. She never did go into the dining room or the living room (we have since moved from that house).

Also, Greyhounds often just go into themselves, as you spoke of above. Actually, they spend most of their time just into themselves because they sleep so much.

Good luck!

Guest M355Y

Thank you everyone for the replies it is really handy. 😃

She is just tucking into her food, no problems at all.

We do have a big fenced back garden for her to go to so that's a good tip.

Beautiful girl. All very normal behaviour as others have stated. It's funny the things you will realize that 'scares' them so you just have to take it a day at a time and they will adjust. Our angel Charlie did not like the TV at first either but got used to it. He never got used to ceiling fans though nor flags, both would freak him out.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Congrats! You don't get a full view of a grey's personality for a few months, it will unfold a little at a time. We have dog beds in the family (tv) room, my husband's office and upstairs hallway (outside bedroom door) and dog will still flop (seemingly) uncomfortably in random places. Give her time. And treats. :-)

My mom spoils the dog most of all and she gets a happy dance every time she drops by, LOL.

PS Kitchen smells like food. Logical place to "stake out"!

Guest DeniseL

Beautiful girl!!!! Congrats, take it slow and get her into a routine, same potty schedule, eat schedule, limit stimulation and new experiences for the first week or so....she will settle in just fine.

Guest AimeeBee

Congrats! What a pretty girl! Sounds like normal settling-in behaviors to me. If she's not cowering off in a corner somewhere all the time (which it sounds like she isn't) I think she's going to be fine -- she's probably just processing all the new sights and sounds. Maybe to tempt her into sleeping in the living room with you while you watch tv, you could make up a really inviting, soft bed for her on the floor. I don't think there are many Greys who can resist a lovely soft bed/blankets that are there just for them.

Edited by AimeeBee

Looks like she gives your yard her approval. :)

If you have a fenced yard there is no need to immediately take her for walks. Let her get nice and settled in first so there's not too much new stimulation.

Ducky, I've always heard the opposite -- that for most dogs, going for walks will settle them down and help you bond. ????

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

When I brought my first grey home she kept wanting to go outside, on a leash for I don't have a fenced in yard. She was anxious being inside for all the new stimuli. If I had a tent I'm sure we would have slept outside. It took her two nights before she roached and then she was letting me know what she wanted, like not being crated since she broke out of it when I left her. She really wanted to get to the mattress I had on the floor in my spare room to sleep on when I wasn't home. It took about a year before she really settled in and noticed her comfort with things and knowing this is my home for good.

She is a beautiful girl. Remember to be patient, you don't know the past life she had and if they mishandled her. She has to gain your trust and get comfortable knowing she isn't threatened by these things. I think walks would be good for her to explore a bit and socialize with other people and dogs in the neighborhood on your walks.

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.