New Member/greyhound Owner

Guest LeoTheGreyt

Guest LeoTheGreyt

Hi everyone! My fiance and I just adopted our first greyhound after wanting a dog for years and volunteering with a greyhound adoption group for a few months. We are so happy to have this guy:

leosfirstnap_zps47a09915.jpg

His name is Leo. He is three years old and is awesome so far. He came to the US from Ireland about a week ago and has been living with us for about 36 hours. He seems remarkably well acclimated considering his recent international flight!

I lurked here a bit to get some more info before adopting, but I'm looking forward to participating now that I am a greyhound owner!

What a beautiful boy.

Just wanted to say with a greyhound you will probably become an expert on poop. Greyhounds have very fussy intestinal tracts. Someone else will probably chime in. You might want to try a different food than what a shelter would use. Many of us use Kirkland dog food from Costco. We use the Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. When we have a poop problem we use something like Taste of The Wild Brand. Our 85 pound boy gets 6 cups a day.

Research what greyhounds are normally fed at the track. Yogurt helps with the good bacteria in their intestine. You might see what types of vegetables and fruit he might like. I also give them a hard boiled egg most days. They like pasta in their food also. We have one female that will help herself to an apple if we leave them out. She takes it to her crate and is very happy eating the entire apple.

Did I mention they are big time poopers.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Congratulations! You only adopt your first Greyhound once!

Leo is a handsome lad - I look forward to more photos of him and getting to know him through your stories.

Oh, and welcome to GT from Florida.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest LeoTheGreyt

So cool! Just wondering, how did you get an Irish pup? Was he a stud dog?

Not as far as we know. I have not researched his history yet (a project for this weekend), but we think he was used for coursing.

The shelter we volunteer for (Greyhound Friends in Massachusetts) has a connection with a animal rescue group in Ireland. My understanding is that greyhounds are not seen as potential pets in Ireland to the degree that they are here, so occasionally when the Irish shelter gets a greyhound that seems very adoptable they will arrange for him to come to Massachusetts so he has a better chance of finding a home. I think our group has received dogs from Spain before too. In addition to placing lots of dogs in the NY/New England area Greyhound Friends does some work to promote greyhound adoption internationally and raise awareness of the treatment of greyhounds abroad.

Thank you for all of the welcomes!

Welcome from Ontario. Looking forward to more pics and stories about Leo.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Interesting! Many people on this forum have Spanish greyhounds (galgos), but I've only seen a few GT'ers with Irish hounds. Come to think of it, *I think* you're the first person I've heard of in the U.S. with an Irish hound (ones with Irish racing lines, yes, but none actually from Ireland). Is there someone from your group who vacations in Ireland, and brings the dogs back on his/her ticket?

Interesting! Many people on this forum have Spanish greyhounds (galgos), but I've only seen a few GT'ers with Irish hounds. Come to think of it, *I think* you're the first person I've heard of in the U.S. with an Irish hound (ones with Irish racing lines, yes, but none actually from Ireland). Is there someone from your group who vacations in Ireland, and brings the dogs back on his/her ticket?

I was staff at the shelter Leo was adopted from. They do get some Irish Greys in on occasion. The woman who started the shelter in 1985 has close ties to someone in Ireland. She goes there about once a year, or did.

Not as far as we know. I have not researched his history yet (a project for this weekend), but we think he was used for coursing.

The shelter we volunteer for (Greyhound Friends in Massachusetts) has a connection with a animal rescue group in Ireland. My understanding is that greyhounds are not seen as potential pets in Ireland to the degree that they are here, so occasionally when the Irish shelter gets a greyhound that seems very adoptable they will arrange for him to come to Massachusetts so he has a better chance of finding a home. I think our group has received dogs from Spain before too. In addition to placing lots of dogs in the NY/New England area Greyhound Friends does some work to promote greyhound adoption internationally and raise awareness of the treatment of greyhounds abroad.

Yay! Congratulations!! Now you just have to come to one of the Greyhound Adventures walks :) I was following the dogs that Louise had brought in from Ireland, and Leo is so striking. Hopefully in the fall we will be back at GF to get our boy a brother or sister.

GT_signature4_zpsfaaf7821.jpg

Padfoot the greyhound fr. Coach Venom, Joined his forever family: 10-1-13

Lupin the galgo, Joined his forever family: 7-18-14
And the reptiles: Bernie the Bearded Dragon and Tonks the Russian Tortoise

Guest LeoTheGreyt

Yay! Congratulations!! Now you just have to come to one of the Greyhound Adventures walks :) I was following the dogs that Louise had brought in from Ireland, and Leo is so striking. Hopefully in the fall we will be back at GF to get our boy a brother or sister.

We hope make it some of them soon! He is very friendly, so we're looking forward to getting him some more social interaction with other people and dogs.

That's right. Last I heard they were still classed as 'agricultural livestock' in Eire, which means they don't get the same protection in terms of cruelty/humane treatment as other dogs. Hopefully that will change at some point.

Most of the ex-racers from Ireland come to England - in fact most of the active racers in the UK as a whole are Irish. We breed far fewer here than they do, and have more re-homing charities.

My understanding is that greyhounds are not seen as potential pets in Ireland to the degree that they are here, so occasionally when the Irish shelter gets a greyhound that seems very adoptable they will arrange for him to come to Massachusetts so he has a better chance of finding a home.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

• 2 weeks later...