Hello From Virginia :)

Guest Galgo

Guest Galgo

Hello, I'm new to this forum but not to sighthounds. I have had whippets, salukis and afghans, but galgos stole my heart and I've had them since 1993.

I recently lost my soul puppy Gilda at nearly 10 years of age to Aortic Thrombosis, something the vets were not able to diagnose until it was too late. When I first saw this beauty of a galga in Spain, it was love at first sight. It was destiny, we were meant to be. Our relationship was of a symbiotic kind, something I've never experienced before. I miss her dearly, and I would give anything to get her back.

I have her litter brother Garabato aka Niño at home, and looking to get a couple of new additions from Spain next month. :D I would post pictures if only I could figure out how, LOL

Guest grey_dreams

Hello from galgo Zariel, formerly of Spain and Netherlands, now living in the Midwest USA. Sorry for your loss of Gilda. I lost my beloved galgo Zuki to CHF when he was still too young. There are quite a few galgos here on GreyTalk :)

Hello from another galgo lover! My Niña left us a few years ago.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Galgo

Hello Iker, Zariel and galgo mommies! It's nice to see there are galgo lovers here in the US/Canada as well. When we moved here 5 years ago from Europe, we thought we were the only ones! :rolleyes:

Welcome to GT! We're in Northern VA (Centreville) and have three ex-racing grey girls and adopted our first galga Beatrix from FBM via SAGE in October.

Beatrix

1601384_10203001124573156_1127280638_n_z

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Galgo

Thank you all for your warm welcome! It's nice to be surrounded by like-minded ppl who love their hounds :D

winnie, Beatrix is such a cutie! Galgos truly are amazing sighthounds - too bad they are not that well known outside Europe. I fell in love with the breed as a teenager while vacationing in Spain :inlove

Ok, guys... maybe I'm having a total blonde moment, but how on earth do I go about changing my profile pic and adding pics to my gallery? :huh

Welcome to GT! Your pups are beauties. I'm sorry for your loss of Gilda.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:wave Welcome to GT! Sadly, I've lost both of mine, Irys in 2006 and Cruz in 2012. :brokenheart I currently have two 11 year old retired racers, but I would love to have another galgo (or two) in the future.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Galgo

I have two galgas flying in from Spain on 3/20, and a couple of puppies later this Spring. :) None of my galgos have been rescues. They came from responsible breeders who are passionate about the breed. But because of the differences in culture and dog keeping, I do feel like I rescued mine and have often times thought about the conditions they would live in had they stayed in Spain. :unsure Galgos are loving and loyal dogs who, like most sighthounds, are couch potatoes extraordinaire. :D Unfortunately, these amazing dogs are generally not treated as pets in Spain, and are kept in rather rugged, harsh conditions. It makes me sad to even think about those poor galgos.

If anyone here is interested in getting a Galgo Español, or just wants to know more about the breed in general, please feel free to PM me.

b49e48cf-10f8-425b-ab42-5f7eb548f2fb_zps

They are all beautiful. Were they bred as show dogs or as hunters? Where in Spain is the breeder?

Here is my galgo, Iker. He was one of those abused galgos that we hear about, complete with a prominent noose scar around his neck from a failed hanging. I was tricked into bringing him home from the Seville shelter where I volunteer :). That was when I learned never to look at a dog in a shelter and comment how much I would like to bring him home :lol I love him very much :heart

971789_10151640173691101_2000538275_n.jp

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Galgo

Iker is such a handsome boy - gotta love those huge galgo ears!! :D:beatheart Mine were bred for showing and hunting, and are registered with the RSCE. I used to show, lure-course and do a variety of other "non-sighthound activities" with mine. My galgos never really liked being shown so I retired them in 2008. I love my babies and they are first and foremost my beloved companions. Well, my kids really. And I got somewhat fed up with the dog show world and their lack of ethics and care for their dogs... <_<

Old man Garabato still knows how to move though! This pic was taken yesterday:

2ba7724c-426b-47e3-a05b-22a36c8760b3_zps

Guest Galgo

My beloved Gilda, gone too soon and so suddenly... She was my heart and soul, my everything :brokenheart

555957_406365532824642_581903906_n_zpse3

Not really ready for a new galgo so soon after Gilda's passing, but Garabato has never been alone. So here are the possible new additions Numa and Reyes:

IMG_6260mod_zps9eb8d3fd.jpg

IMG_6235mod_zps5f0c1fe8.jpg

IMG_6258mod_zpsf646e3dd.jpg

Hi there, great to see another galgo lover.
We have 6 in our home at this moment, 2 are fosters.

Unfortunately I couldn't see your pictures.
Would love to meet yours.

I brought mine to the US 4 years ago when I moved here from the Netherlands, adopted my first one 15 years ago.
They are wonderful dogs.

Guest Downtownhoundz

Hi from Northern Virginia! I have an ex racing greyhound and a soon to be adopted galga girl named Aqua coming over next month! Welcome!