Shedding?

Guest Roc

Is it shedding time?

I'm trying to determine if that is the case or if it could be the food Tango is currently on (Iams Healthy Naturals - Chicken). Not sure if it's a coincidence but since on this food, I have noticed a change in his coat = shedding & some flakiness. No itching though? He's had chicken flavored kibble before w/no problem. Back in Summer, we tried normal Iams green bag and although the 'end' result was good, his coat seemed dull.

Just curious to see if you have found certain brand foods/flavors have caused change in coat?

It is still really cold here…but the spring shedding has begun. The best part is that the summer sun has returned. I can see daylight at 5:00 pm these days….life is good!

Heavy shedding here too. I worried about Zeke's food causing the change. However, after brushing Zeke daily and adding some Omega 3 soft chews as a supplement for his coat, I noticed yesterday that his fur has returned to a normal, soft coat without the excess shedding. He's still eating the usual kibble I had been feeding him. One less thing to worry about.

Spring, Summer - oh to have it warm again! It's been a cold winter here in Maine.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

shedding seems to really relate to the increase in sunlight. i have experienced watching dogs "blow coat" even when there is no sign of spring...except slightly longer days. don't go crazy w/ food and supplements, more times than less dandruff, dry skin and what ever shows up while coats are changing. after the shed, which seems to take forever...their skin returns to normal. also, some colors even change. bring out/on the vacuum and stock up on vacuum bags!!!

Guest itsagreytlife

Shedding here too, especially my brindle boy. In Colorado, we have had cold days and some really nice sunny days (60 degrees that feel like the 70s). I also noticed my brindle boy has a great deal more energy in the last couple weeks. Yesterday, even after a long walk, he was jumping all over the house and then ran and ran and played outside for about 1/2 hr! We've had him about a year and a half and he still seems to be coming "out of his shell." We just moved here last June, so perhaps he is just realizing he loves his new home! And, of course the longer days probably doesn't hurt!

Anybody think a "furminator" tool any better than the rubber/sillicone "Zoom Groom" during these extra sheddy days?

Guest Celestrina

shedding seems to really relate to the increase in sunlight. i have experienced watching dogs "blow coat" even when there is no sign of spring...except slightly longer days. don't go crazy w/ food and supplements, more times than less dandruff, dry skin and what ever shows up while coats are changing. after the shed, which seems to take forever...their skin returns to normal. also, some colors even change. bring out/on the vacuum and stock up on vacuum bags!!!

Angie does have mild to moderate dandruff while shedding. After blowing coat she is more red, but before she is more fawn.

• 2 weeks later...

I am delighted to find this thread.

Chancey has been with me for six weeks and for the best part of three weeks I've been transitioning her from the high protein racing greyhound food that she came with, to this:-

http://www.dodsonandhorrellpetfood.co.uk/dog-food/working-dogs-and-greyhound-food/pet-greyhound

In the last week she has suddenly gone scurfy along her back & today when a friend rubbed his hand along her back there was hair coming loose everywhere. As I was near the pet shop this afternoon I bought a large bottle of Cod Liver Oil as I thought a spoonful on her dinner might help improve her coat.

i wasn't sure if it was because I've kept the heating on during the time she has been with me & the temperature difference was making her moult or whether the new food didn't suit her. As my whippet isn't moulting i didn't think it could be just an annual moult but it appears it could well be!

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Anybody think a "furminator" tool any better than the rubber/sillicone "Zoom Groom" during these extra sheddy days?

I tried the Furminator that I use for my cats on Sweep when we'd had her about a month, and she gave me a nice black eye for my efforts. I don't think she meant to get me; I must have hit a tender spot, she reacted, and I got muzzle-punched/grazed by her tooth in the process. In my opinion, it's too much for their thin skin and bony bits, so I stick with the zoom groom, which she seems to view like a massage.

And, yes, she is currently a sheddy mess, even with daily Missing Link and coconut oil. Thank God for my Roomba!

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Guest Lillypad

I understand shedding has more to do with the extension of sunlight rather than temperature. Just as trees change leaf color in the fall due to light decrease rather than cold. Sad, LOL, I always thought it was the work of "Jack Frost" I am guessing it is just not my girl, but when she starts shedding it is amazing how much coat blows out. I sometimes think she should be bald at the amount of fur she looses. I brush and brush and brush and hardly make a dent. This is the one harbinger of spring I don't look forward to.

I wouldn't use a Furminator, IMO too sharp. I do use the zoom groom, but I absolutely love the rubber mitt. And I believe she does too. It is effective, soft, and great around those "boney" legs, spine, ribs... well just about every part is boney... LOL The loose fur shakes out of the mitt easily and it washes great if need be. Oh, yes it is cheap price too, You should be able to get at any tack store or the local Tractor Supply Store.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/rubber-grooming-mitts-5116p

Edited by Lillypad

Guest Celestrina

I understand shedding has more to do with the extension of sunlight rather than temperature. Just as trees change leaf color in the fall due to light decrease rather than cold. Sad, LOL, I always thought it was the work of "Jack Frost" I am guessing it is just not my girl, but when she starts shedding it is amazing how much coat blows out. I sometimes think she should be bald at the amount of fur she looses. I brush and brush and brush and hardly make a dent. This is the one harbinger of spring I don't look forward to.

I wouldn't use a Furminator, IMO too sharp. I do use the zoom groom, but I absolutely love the rubber mitt. And I believe she does too. It is effective, soft, and great around those "boney" legs, spine, ribs... well just about every part is boney... LOL The loose fur shakes out of the mitt easily and it washes great if need be. Oh, yes it is cheap price too, You should be able to get at any tack store or the local Tractor Supply Store.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/rubber-grooming-mitts-5116p

They are also have bumps on both sides, so it doesn't matter if you are a righty or a lefty.

I use both a Zoom Groom and a Furminator on my girls. I'm just very careful with the Furminator on the tender spots. It works especially well on Carly who has a very think fluffy type coat. Princess loves the Furminator and comes running when I pick it up. :)

And yes, both of them are shedding like crazy.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest OPointyDog

I think some greys seem to be more prone to getting a "seasonal" coat and then "blowing their coat" than others. Our brindle girl, Zoe, has a very plush, velvety coat and in the winter, she gets a heavier undercoat. She blows it in March (now!!!), no matter what the weather is (currently 17F out...). Our black male, Mika, is smooth and silky all year round, and never seems to shed much at all.

They have their nails done every month at PetCo when we go for our Meet and Greet - yesterday I had them brush out Zoe, too, and the groomer said there was so much fur that she ended up using a furminator on her. I'd never seen one, but Zoe didn't seem to mind it.

Guest chickenpotpie

Lucky is starting to shed a bit more so I'm using the furmigator on her once a week. she does KNOT mind it at all :hehe I use the mitt first, then finish up with the furmigator. I did add an extra pump of Grizzly Oil to her dinner which seems to help with the itching. As I've not had her a year (which will be in April) I don't really know if she's going to shed a lot this time around. She shed so much last fall her butt was bald!

Guest AimeeBee

Yes, George has been shedding like crazy for the last two weeks or so and I've noticed a bit of dandruff cropping up on his black spots as well. He always gets about 2-3 pumps of salmon oil in each of his meals and since we have had him (since late December) he rarely, if ever shed and never had dandruff issues. We tried Missing Link at first and it made him super soft and shiny, but gave him really awful gas -- if the ingredients work for your hound I'd recommend it. Every day we've been outside with the Zoom Groom trying to get off as much as possible. He seems happier and the birds in the neighborhood are getting some nice fluff for their nests.

Edited by AimeeBee

Yes, George has been shedding like crazy for the last two weeks or so and I've noticed a bit of dandruff cropping up on his black spots as well. He always gets about 2-3 pumps of salmon oil in each of his meals and since we have had him (since late December) he rarely, if ever shed and never had dandruff issues. We tried Missing Link at first and it made him super soft and shiny, but gave him really awful gas -- if the ingredients work for your hound I'd recommend it. Every day we've been outside with the Zoom Groom trying to get off as much as possible. He seems happier and the birds in the neighborhood are getting some nice fluff for their nests.

There's a vegetarian version of Missing Link for dogs with food sensitivities that also includes probiotics—might help with the gas if you haven't tried it.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart