Anybody Else's Pooch Have A Bald Neck?

Guest Houston1219

Guest Houston1219

Just curious, does anyone else's dog have a bald spot on their neck? :huh2 Houston's adams-apple area is naked, and has been since I got him. It's a round bald spot about the size of a baseball. His skin there is healthy and fine. It seems to be that his hair rubbed off from his collar? It doesn't bother him, vet said it was fine, thanks to obedience class, he's no longer a puller! We also have a thin very loose collar just for tags when lounging about at home. Its not getting any worse, nor better. We have tried tons of harnesses and he is a difficult fit! The few we have found that fit decent bother his poor litttle armpits, so we went back to the thick martingale.

I am just very curious to hear if anyone has experienced this??? If so, did it ever grow back?

Thanks everyone!

Summer has a bald throat, pretty bare tummy and bald patches on the back of her hind legs. It's just the lay of the land with her. The bald throat, in her case, is NOT caused by collar rub as I keep her nekkid except for her weekly therapy dog visit and whatever random walks she gets. I wouldn't worry about it unless you think he's ill.

As to the harness, have you tried the Wiggles Wags and Whiskers harness? A lot of greyhound people, myself included, have this harness. You can get it through 2 Hounds Design.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Houston1219

Also, any reccomendations for a good harness? He is thin but has such a deep chest

IMG_20130519_144547_zps436a5ff7.jpeg

The harness he has on in the picture, for example, fit for a week or so, but then stretched out and is too big on its smallest adjustment. :bugeye

Guest Houston1219

Summer has a bald throat, pretty bare tummy and bald patches on the back of her hind legs. It's just the lay of the land with her. The bald throat, in her case, is NOT caused by collar rub as I keep her nekkid except for her weekly therapy dog visit and whatever random walks she gets. I wouldn't worry about it unless you think he's ill.

As to the harness, have you tried the Wiggles Wags and Whiskers harness? A lot of greyhound people, myself included, have this harness. You can get it through 2 Hounds Design.

Thank you! I have seen this harness web browsing before, but skimmed right over it because he is not much of a puller, but it seems like the benefit in our case would be the fit if it gets other greytalk members seal of approval, it is worth a second look for sure!

2Hounds sells the Freedom No Pull edition but you used to be able to get the Classic edition (no front ring) through The GEM Store. I have both and, other than the front chest ring, they appear to be pretty much identical. And since I don't use the front ring, I don't really care about it. What I particularly love is that there is a martingale control loop up on the back where you connect the leash (on both styles). And, of course, it won't stretch out on you, it's very adjustable and the straps behind the legs are wrapped in velvet.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

Lisa B.

felix has naked neck.... from his collars. i found that silk lined collars do not rub and he grows hair on the neck. recently i put a thinner lupine(5/8")combo collar on and his hair grew back???? personally i think this miracle growth is from the intense cold weather- too cold to go for walks. try a silk lined martingale, i personally prefer collars to harnesses. if the dog has a neck injury- then a harness.

Wendy had a bald neck, belly and bald patches on her thighs. 5 mg. nightly of (vet approved) Solgar brand melatonin took care of that.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Carl was very bald, including a bald neck. I started him on melatonin, 3mg, and it filled right in. When I take him off of it for the summer (he gets to hot with all that fur) his coat thins out, but never the fur on his neck, that remains thick and soft.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Houston1219

Melatonin for hair growth? Does it make them sleepy? That stuff knocks me out! :nappy I have tons of it (5mg i believe) but i dont want to make him drowsy (he's already a low activity guy) We call him our little old man, he has cute grampa-like mannerisms.

Yup, Barbie has a bald neck during summer, she usually gets a bit of hair back during winter but I think its mostly due to collar rub....... she won't walk in a harness and the dogs don't go naked at home as they have to be wearing their tags.

I know a lot of people swear by Melatonin for hair re-growth, but we had a horrible experience with it. Shortly after starting it, Henry had recurring bacterial skin infections. It cost me hundreds in skin scrapings and antibiotics. Eliminated the Melatonin, and he went back to normal. :dunno

Melatonin for hair growth? Does it make them sleepy? That stuff knocks me out! :nappy I have tons of it (5mg i believe) but i dont want to make him drowsy (he's already a low activity guy) We call him our little old man, he has cute grampa-like mannerisms.

I almost wish it did! Wendy gets it at night with dinner but she's as lively as ever even then. DO consult your vet first, though.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I've thought about doing melatonin, but it seems silly to give them drugs for something that isn't a problem. Embrace the bald. As long as the skin is healthy and comfortable, I really don't care what my dog looks like. I'm going to love him no matter what.

I agree with LaFlaca, talk to your vet first before trying melatonin. Carl's ophthalmologist first told me about it as she was admittedly fixated on his baldness and went out of her way to research it. I talked to his regular vet and she gave it get blessing and the rest is blissful furiness!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

It made my girl very lethargic. Way more than her normal laid-back self. I stopped it and she went back to normal. I'm not trying it again.

Lisa B.

Our Sofia had the same - it was from wearing a 2" wide Martingale collar. Even though it's lined with silk, the extra width seems to rub off her neck fur. When we put on her 1" martingale, the fur grew back.

• 5 months later...
Guest johnwe

Wendy had a bald neck, belly and bald patches on her thighs. 5 mg. nightly of (vet approved) Solgar brand melatonin took care of that.

How long did you use the melatonin to spark hair growth?

Also, any reccomendations for a good harness? He is thin but has such a deep chest

IMG_20130519_144547_zps436a5ff7.jpeg

The harness he has on in the picture, for example, fit for a week or so, but then stretched out and is too big on its smallest adjustment. :bugeye

now are you looking to join the bald side of the chest club too? felix had the www harness, not only did he have a bald neck but the harness did the same thing to the sides of his deep chest. one of his coats did that as well(the muscles above the elbows)- go know...talk about sensitive skin! btw, age 7 nothing bothers his neck???

Edited by cleptogrey

My guy doesn't have a bald neck, but he did have very bald thighs when I adopted him. The fur eventually filled in, but it took almost a full year.

I am a big fan of the "necklace" type collars for i.d. I use a thin, leather necklace bolo cord to hold his tags which is very loose and thin and never rubs the fur. When we walk we sometimes put on a martingale but I usually use the WWW harness. Even with the velvet straps, he still got rub marks on his chest, so I sewed some fleece onto where the straps meet. No problems after that :)

Guest Houston1219

We did get a www harness, which we use on occasion (if we are going somewhere that's going to be crowded or I just want to keep him extra close. It works well as a handle lol). Since I wrote that post we have gone the naked time route until it all grew back and then got a 1/2" buckle collar which we keep very loose for tags. It has all grown back in beautifully!