Feeding Tube - Any Experience/advice?

picked up Sarge from the hospital last nite... he seemed out of it, understandably, but is tolerating the tube... tube feedings are so easy... I wasn't expecting them to be so easy... right now, my concern is that he keeps leaking sludge and doesn't even feel it... I cleaned him twice before going to bed in the LR with him, and slept for 3 hrs before I smelled it again, and got up to clean him again... he slept thru my entire cleaning and more sludge just kept pouring out as I was cleaning... he needs doggie diapers right now.... I just don't know if he'll need them long term.... I don't know if this is a symptom of the liquids that have been pumped into him for three days straight, the liquid diet he's on now for tube feedings, or if he's lost the ability to control his bowels... it's worrisome, but first thing I need to do right now is get him in doggie diapers and wait... hopefully it will work itself out... will keep updating...

does anyone know what could be causing this constant leakage? hospital vets said to give the Flaggyl a chance to work and bring him back if it doesn't.... I just paid $4500 for this 3 day stay, and I can't pay another $1000+ for them to watch and clean him, and pump more fluids into him.... but since they still don't know exactly what he has, they can't offer more advice.... their priority was to rehydrate him and stabilize him, and x-rays didn't show what's wrong... they wanted me to do an ultrasound and biopsy/endoscopy but their internist is out for two weeks... I didn't want to transport him, and my priority was to get the feeding tube in so he could get some food in him... otherwise, he would have died of starvation... he wasn't eating anything, for anyone... now that he has the tube in, I want to feed him and stabilize him before taking him to our regular vet and doing an ultrasound, or further biopsy... I just hope the leaking sludge is a temporary setback...

Edited by claudiav

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

just got some light at the end of the tunnel.... the vet that has been so great diagnosing Sarge, finding his intestinal infection and trying all meds to treat his IBD, who knows him very well, just told me the liquid food he's getting is causing the sludge... so tonite i'm going to break out the blender and use the Royal Canin vet food he did well on, when he liked it, and puree it, 1 part canned food and 2 parts warm water, to feed him thru the tube... she said within 24-48 hrs, I should see the sludge disappear.... YAY!!!! She made my day!!! I love her!!!

Sarge is sporting some manly diapers :bunny If superheroes can wear their underwear on the outside, so can Sarge! I'll have to take some pics and show off my hero :beatheart

he's doing well... after the 2 immodiums this morning, he leaked no more... let's hope it's a sign of things to come :flip

feedings are going very very well... so easy... I can't believe I ever forced food down his throat, and begged and pleaded with him to eat... this is such a sweet option... no fuss, no muss... he sleeps right thru it... love it!! now, I just have to make sure he doesn't get an infection at the incision site... things are looking up!!! I couldn't be any happier!!!

Sarge is no longer sporting his underwear on the outside. He doesn't need them anymore. He has no more sludge or diahhrea. He's getting his regular feedings via tube, but they are so small right now, that I don't even know if he's pooped anything... Today, we started increasing the amount of food, so we shall see tomorrow if he has any BMs. He's back to his old self... getting up to greet everyone, sleeping on the bed with me, going outside thru the doggie door, going upstairs and downstairs with me by his side.... he just doesn't drink as much as he used to... so I give extra water in the tube... vet checkup this morning went well. Bandage was changed and no infection at the incision site. When we finish the meds from the hospital, my vet will work out his maintenance medicine protocol. We are very happy here. My boy is back!!!! :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart

Guest racinmason

Wow! You and Sarge have really been through the wringer on this one! I'm so glad he's feeling better, happier, that means you will be too. Good luck to you both. When we tube fed Dunquin, she slept through the feedings most of the time. Poops pretty runny until she got used to the food and we started blending the Max Cal with Hills A/D. So glad you found something that works for you! Good luck to you and Sarge! He looks like such a sweet boy!

Guest Marsroving

Mars and I are sending big greyt smiles for you and yours!i had an uncle who had a peg tube after throat cancer so this brings a lot of thoughts of those times for me...it gets better!