Pudding Poop

Guest klipper

Guest klipper

Wow...the terms you learn on this place....

Anywho, we've had Echo 2.5 weeks now and weighed her at the 2 week mark. She was down from 62 lbps to 58 lbps. So we increased her kibble (Kirkland signature chicken forumula) to 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening (softened with water)

However she still has noxious gas and loose movements. At what point do stop blaming the 'transition' period and start trying new things? We've gone through a container of pumpkin and that seemed to help and the day we ran out it was worse.

What's with this mythical Iams green bag? What / where do you get it?

Yep, that's the one. Finding the right food will probably help with the gas too, but a couple of tablespoons of plain yogurt can also work pretty well.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

have you brought her in for an initial well visit w/ a stinky stool sample. your vet may decide that she needs something. she may have worms/parasites,may have a bacteria in her gut that needs to be cleaned up. it's pretty normal for dogs right off the track to need a round or two of something(ie flagyl) to clean them up. but only your vet will know after testing a stool sample and smelling it. i would go to plain old white rice and 20-30% boiled beef until a stool sample has been checked.keep it simple , her diet and life has just changed radically. good luck w/ your new pup.

some dogs just don't tolerate certain food- costco is excellent and will take the open bag back, don't throw it out.

Given her weight, 4 cups of that food is probably overfeeding her, which will cause pudding poop. More food doesn't equal more weight. Follow the directions on the bag for her weight as to amount to feed. Also make sure you cut out ALL treats until the pudding is under control, then slow re-introduce them until you learn what she can and cannot tolerate.

I would also only weigh her every 2 or 3 months unless you see her getting noticeably thinner. Weight will fluctuate, and you can't obsess about a couple pounds in the pup's first few weeks in a new home. That's just stress from a whole new world causing that.

If you adjust the amount of food later, only do it in 1/8 to 1/4 cup increments every few weeks.

At this point, you might want to fast her for a day and give the tummy a rest. You'll get dirty looks, but that's better than the runs!

Green bag works for many, but not all. There is no one magic food, only the one that works for your hound, so it takes a little trial and error. As noted above, yogurt can help, but again does not work for all dogs. If we give Rocket yogurt or pumpkin as many will suggest, he gets pudding poops. Again, with add-ins, it's all a matter of finding what works for your hound.

Good luck!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I would also only weigh her every 2 or 3 months unless you see her getting noticeably thinner. Weight will fluctuate, and you can't obsess about a couple pounds in the pup's first few weeks in a new home. That's just stress from a whole new world causing that.

If you adjust the amount of food later, only do it in 1/8 to 1/4 cup increments every few weeks.

What Don said. Joe lost 5 pounds when we brought him home, then gained about 12 (fat dog!) because I freaked out that he was getting too skinny and started stuffing him. He's in the middle now, a couple pounds over his weight at the adoption kennel. He seems to stay fairly level now.

Sorry, I wouldn't fast the dog .. that could cause vomiting because of an upset tummy because it is empty -- also, its a new dog and it will get very nervous that it is not getting fed - not so good for the bonding experience. Get to the vet as someone suggested and have them check her. Try the white rice and cooked hamburger for a few days until you can get the vet's opinion.

I couldn't agree more with everyone's feedback on finding the right mix of foods, given our experience. It took us several months to figure out that our Starvin' Marvin doesn't tolerate chicken (or duck) very well. Lots of pudding poo and room-evacuting gas...If he does get some pudding poo, we can stop it within 1 feeding by adding a bit of canned pumpkin or smashed boiled sweet potatoes. Good luck!

Guest OPointyDog

Try the white rice and cooked hamburger for a few days until you can get the vet's opinion.

For best results, the hamburger should be boiled with the fat drained off and the rice should be mushy. As low fat hamburger as you can find. This often helps calm their digestive system down.

Agreed that every dog is different - just like people, they are individuals and don't all tolerate the same thing. I tried a lot of high end, grain free foods, but found that one hound does best on Iams lamb and rice, and the other (after MANY months of runny poo!) needs prescription fiber-balanced food. Your experiences will differ. But so many people here have had good luck with the green bag that it's probably worth a shot. Doesn't work for everyone, but works for many!

For best results, the hamburger should be boiled with the fat drained off and the rice should be mushy.

when you chill the burger soup in the fridge the layer of fat can easily be removed.

i buy my chop meat at costco, no fat on the top of the container when the broth is chilled...ever. the meat is a pretty good grade(we don't eat chop meat but it's tested for ecoli and no pink slime mixed in). but the broth is really a good way to get the dogs to eat the plain rice. other wise my guys pick thru the rice and toss it on the floor.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest klipper

Been doing a 4 day transition to green bag and already seeing noticeably better results both with firmer poo and almost non-existant gas.

Yay Green Bag!

Edited by klipper

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Been doing a 4 day transition to green bag and already seeing noticeably better results both with firmer poo and almost non-existant gas.

Yay Green Bag!

Hope it continues to work for you! After 2 days on Green Bag my "chronic" pudding-poop hound had totally firm poo! I used to be staunchly pro-grain free, but now I'm just a believer in using whatever works best!