Methadone And Behavior

Marlow dislocated his toe this evening and ended up at the e-vet. They put his toe back into place, bandaged it and gave him a shot of methadone (and sent us home with more pain meds). He laid down for awhile but is mostly just standing and staring. I imagine it's the methadone causing this? Anything I should do? He's also breathing hard- not panting but his whole body moves when he breathes. I need to go to bed but feel bad leaving him this way.

Edited by Houndmommy03

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

You might want to stay in the room with him and make sure he doesn't further injure himself. i would gate or block him in the bedroom with you tonight. Don't need him wandering around while loopy.

Can't help with the drug question, but hopefully one of the GT Vets or medical folks will be along shortly.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I've had two greys (Rex and Comfort) that had horrible reactions to opiates/opiads. When the vet gave Rex morphine it was the longest night of my life as he paced panted and stared unseeingly. When Comfort was in the hospital after his surgery when they put hydromorphine in his IV he went crazy as he later did when we upped his tramadol. The shot should wear off by morning but watch it if they sent you home with tramadol. I'm not a vet and don't play one on TV but from personal experience if a dog is sensitive to opiates it can be a nightmare.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I think you mean morphine?? Ghs and opiates don't mix well--side effects seen are panting heavily, pacing, lack of appetite, crying....

I wish more vets knew of this-it's heartbreaking to think another hound and owner had another rough night. If your vet insists on using an opitate suggest buprenex-more hounds have more tolerance to that drug.

Thanks. I thought I remembered reading that opiates could be a problem. This is a new vet for us and I don't know how greyhound savvy they are. I got him to lay down finally and then I fell asleep and didn't hear a thing from him all night, fortunately. I remember Pam's nightmare and was worried. They sent me home with Rimadyl and Tramadol. I gave him the Rimadyl this morning but am not sure what to do about the tramadol. He doesn't seem to be in pain. I think the only thing that bothers him is trying to lay down - something in the process of getting down must bother his foot.

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

I agree, they way over medicated him for a dislocated toe! I am glad he is feeling better this morning. If it was a simple dislocation (no break, etc) he should be feeling much better in about 24 hrs. When Sallie has a dislocated toe, I give her tramadol (she is OK with tramadol)

for about a day after, then stop and she is fine. So fine that this last time after 2-3 days she ran around and dislocated it again :rolleyes: so watch out for that :)