Dry Pads

Taylor has dry pads, and for the past few months he has had episodes of slipping in the house (mostly tile floors and not super shiny tiles), and then when he slips, he gets frightened, and then he walks apprehensively that he might slip again.

He gets so scared :unsure

Any suggestions on what to apply to the pads to help him with traction?

There are some runners in the house.

He walks fine outside and thunders around the back yard.

I have Bag Balm, and have tried to remember to apply it once a day for the past few days.

Just have to do it when I know he will be laying down for a while to let it soak in.

Just applied it before and he surprised me and got up in around 10 minutes and he was slipping pretty bad.

Any suggestions??

Short-term, Sortkwik (the office supply stuff for sorting money) works great. Nontoxic, so no worries there, and it dries very quickly. Read about it here several months ago and it worked like a charm.

I like Musher's Secret for softening paws long-term. I know it's typically used more as a protective wax for snow/salt and hot pavement, but one of the uses advertised on the jar is traction on slippery surfaces. As with Bag Balm, though, it takes a few minutes to dry so you have to time it right.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I soak my two greyhounds's feet every night in Absom salt-heavy moisturizer solution. I do this to hopefully prevent dry pads and potential for getting corns, something my past greyhound struggled with for a long time. The two boys I have now have very soft pads and we live in a city and walk allot on pavement. I attribute the soft pads to the 3-5 min. soaks on all four feet. It's time consuming but worth the trouble if it means preventing the evil corns. I also add fish oil and coconut oil to their diet, (in hopes it will help as well).

More rugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

More rugs.

get his nails cut, find a groomer and make a deal, bi-weekly cuts to bring the quick back.once they are back then trim once a month after that. i bet you the nails are too long!

and the mushers works miracles on dry pads. just a couple of applications and you will be amazed.

Edited by cleptogrey

get his nails cut, find a groomer and make a deal, bi-weekly cuts to bring the quick back.once they are back then trim once a month after that. i bet you the nails are too long!

and the mushers works miracles on dry pads. just a couple of applications and you will be amazed.

His nails are dremeled every 4 weeks, and even after that, he would still slip.

I ordered some Mushers last night and should have it in a couple of days.

With Bag Balm or Musher's Secret, apply it at night when you go to bed - a fairly heavy coating - then put on some baby socks. It gets to soak in overnight, and because he's sleeping, he'll mostly leave the socks alone.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

there is a product called tacky paws(pads) sold for show dogs who slip on indoor mats. amazon has the spray as well as a wax which should work http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Groom-Show-Professional-Anti-Slip-Spray/dp/B001GPCW9A

dremeling every 4 weeks is not really enough to keep the nail short. i cut every 2-3 weeks and dremel on top of that. this person has the best instructions on how to dremel nails http://www.doberdawn.com/doberdawn/dremel.html, check it out and see if you can pick up any tips.

Guest Clawsandpaws

there is a product called tacky paws(pads) sold for show dogs who slip on indoor mats. amazon has the spray as well as a wax which should work http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Groom-Show-Professional-Anti-Slip-Spray/dp/B001GPCW9A

dremeling every 4 weeks is not really enough to keep the nail short. i cut every 2-3 weeks and dremel on top of that. this person has the best instructions on how to dremel nails http://www.doberdawn.com/doberdawn/dremel.html, check it out and see if you can pick up any tips.

PS to this, I am now the kennel's dremel queen, so if you would like, I can take a look at their nails sometime ;)

PS to this, I am now the kennel's dremel queen, so if you would like, I can take a look at their nails sometime ;)

I read this quick....."drama queen" :hehe

Spoke with Taylor's vet, and she suggested wiping his pads with a warm, wet washcloth, and then apply Kerasal:

http://www.kerasal.com/cracked-heels-ointment.shtml

Anyone use this product before?

No experience with Kerasal, but I'm a little concerned about the salicylic acid in that product. It's an exfoliant, so it's good for getting rid of hard, calloused skin thats prone to cracking, but if it's just dryness, then the salicylic acid might irritate the feet. It is a fairly mild concentration though. Similar to what you might find on over the counter acne treatments.

Urea is good for moisturizing! It works best when applied to slightly damp skin because it pulls and holds moisture to where it's applied, hence the damp washcloth.

You should be able to find creams with just urea in them in the foot care/skin care section of most pharmacies. Just avoid the ones with fragrance.

No experience with Kerasal, but I'm a little concerned about the salicylic acid in that product. It's an exfoliant, so it's good for getting rid of hard, calloused skin thats prone to cracking, but if it's just dryness, then the salicylic acid might irritate the feet. It is a fairly mild concentration though. Similar to what you might find on over the counter acne treatments.

Urea is good for moisturizing! It works best when applied to slightly damp skin because it pulls and holds moisture to where it's applied, hence the damp washcloth.

You should be able to find creams with just urea in them in the foot care/skin care section of most pharmacies. Just avoid the ones with fragrance.

Will do. I was not too sure about the ingredients in that product.

I applied the Bag Balm after he went to bed last night. I think that is helping, and I know he doesn't lick it.

I have been using it for around a week.

His pads feel a bit better. He just needs to regain some confidence.

Edited by Beachbum1