Unusual Itching/scratching

So recently I noticed Zuri's chest was been unusually itchy. He's been scratching it and when I scratch it for him, he does the foot air-scratching thing frenetically (he doesn't do this much at all usually unless it's a really good neck scritch). So last night I noticed one small scab on his neck and wondered if he was also scratching his neck a lot, then tonight while I was home, he started scratching his ear, yelping in pain, scratching, yelping in pain, until I made him stop. Just now he started the same type of thing without the yelping with his neck.

I'm thinking a vet visit on Monday is in order, but in the meantime, just wondered if anyone has any ideas. There's nothing visibly wrong with his skin or fur, he appears healthy otherwise. We haven't to my knowledge changed anything in the house (no new laundry detergents for instance). I have started sourcing his raw food from a new place so I guess that's a small possibility, but that seems very unlikely. It's getting cooler so I don't think seasonal allergies fit. Otherwise, the only thing I can think is something in the house where he stayed while I was in Dewey. :dunno

Any ideas? I find it odd that it's only his neck and chest.

ETA: I don't know that this is related, but we had a weird thing happen last night. In the dead of night, he suddenly woke up and SHOT out of bed, almost like he'd been electrocuted. That was around 2 am. He eventually got back in and snuggled up with me again, only to do it again later in the morning. He was wearing his jammies for the first time this fall so my best guess was the fabric rubbed and made him itch and he shot up as a result. Again, totally dumbfounded.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Don't rule out the allergies. Seasonal allergies can be worse in the fall than at other times depending on what he might have an allergy to.

Rocket has been itching since the ragweed bloomed in Late August / Early September. We go through this every year at this time until after the first heavy frost.

We've had the best luck with Chlor-Trimeton (dispensed by vet but is the same as the OTC stuff) keeping the itch to a minimum. We also have to wipe and spray paws after every outing, and do eye drops.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

as to fall allergies my welsh terrier had them. after a couple of seasons of hot spots and crazy scratching i stumbled upon the plain water by accident. i hosed him down, no soap, just water- removed the allergens and it worked like a charm.

as to the bolt out of bed, to me it sounds like static electricity. are the jammies made out of fleece or cotton? fleece is synthetic- a quick spray w/ static guard should do the trick.

for his rubbed areas i use hydrocortizone w/ aloe. costco's bulk package is dirt cheap, be generous and rub it in. cheaper and does the same thing as the $$$ hot spot ointments.

I wonder if maybe he got a spider or bug bite (and the venom is irritating)? Or maybe scabies, but that might be a far stretch.

Alternatively, have you been putting any coats on him or sweaters recently? Something might have been living in the fabric prior to being washed, etc.....

The sort of thing you are describing doesn't sound like allergies to me, especially the up with a shot in the middle of the night part. I'd say it's a possibility, but my first reaction is a bite. Let us know how Monday pans out.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Are they on flea/tick control?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Are they on flea/tick control?

They are, although they're on Frontline Plus, which is apparently showing some resistance to fleas in this area. No signs of fleas though. :dunno

Would it matter re:allergies that Zuri is 9?

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

You might want to rule out fleas just to be sure. I was using Frontline Plus monthly and recently found out it wasn't working on Seamus. He was scratching and digging all over, and I took him to the vet, convinced he had an allergy. The vet brushed him with a flea comb and found flea dirt and live fleas. Ugh. I never dreamed he had fleas. We switched to Advantix.

S.jpg

Ugh, I guess I better dig out the flea comb. Where would I be most likely to find them (ie. where should I comb him)? If it's fleas, I'd rather not spend the time/money just to have the vet tell me that.

He found them at the top of the tail. I flea combed him at home after that and found them around his chest, on the backs of his hind legs, and also around his tuck area. Poor guy. I couldn't believe it. The vet said I was not alone and that many other people were having trouble controlling fleas right now. It makes you wonder if the fleas are becoming resistant to the meds.

S.jpg

Fleas: Base of tail as Shaysmom says, plus under close-fitting collars and in any creased places (behind ears; armpits; fold in between tummy and back leg).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I combed for fleas and while I can't say I'm knowledgeable enough to have ruled them out, I didn't see any signs of them. I did however have a dream last night that he had them. :P

Spoke with my vet this morning to ask if I should just try him on Claritin, but she wants to see him to make sure he doesn't have something going on with his ears, either causing this or as a secondary infection if I understood correctly so I'll take him in tomorrow morning to be safe.

Kasey developed his allergies 4-5 years old - but there was an uncontrollable trigger that sent him over the edge. If you don't have any changes in your home/food, it's hard to say for certain it's allergies. Certainly Claritin can help - although I thought Benadryl was preferred.

Have you been able to see any kind of scabs, like one that would be formed after a bite?

I've found fleas in the most odd areas before, and it's taken me up to half an hour to brush and locate them. I found one once walking along Ryder's front leg.....they are little buggers.

How about a bath? That would relieve some of the itching and you'd be able to see the skin better.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Ozzie has outdoor allergies and he's itchy after we've been at my parents' place (their yard actually has grass). Zyrtec (1 tablet at bedtime) has helped him a ton. Ragweed right now is insane here so we have been miserable together.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

No fleas. Signs of an infection that is probably secondary to allergies so we're starting him on an antibiotic and an anti-histamine. :goodluck

Also discovered that he most likely has an infected anal gland (it was full of blood :( ) so she tried to pick an AB that would address both. Poor guy was so good through the whole visit and is taking a well deserved nap now.

I'm always suspicious of allergies now when I hear about itchiness in September-November. My senior girl began showing signs of bad fall allergies at about 9 years old. At this point she gets an allergy shot every fall. Not only that but my other two seem to rub and scratch a bit more around this time too. Hopefully that's all that is going on. Fingers crossed you don't find any lice or flea issues!